collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2920
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
TDF 2019, Stage 14: Tarbes > Tourmalet Barèges 20/07/2019  - 117,5 km

The Tour de France serves its first high altitude finish in the 14th stage. The riders set off in Tarbes for a day in the Pyrenees. The 117.5 kilometres route takes in the Col du Soulor as an intermediate ascent before the final haul up on the famous Col du Tourmalet. This stage will be a true showcase for the world’s best climbers. It will also be pivotal in both the yellow and polka-dot jersey competitions.

The Col du Tourmalet is a Tour de France staple with 57 inclusions since 1947, yet the race included only two summit finishes before. Jean-Pierre Danguillaume won the Tourmalet stage in 1974 and in 2010 Andy Schleck crossed the line in first position with yellow jersey Alberto Contador following his wheel.

The 2019 Tour de France ascends the giant in the Pyrenees from Luz-Saint-Sauveur. This climb amounts to 19 kilometres with an average gradient of 7.4%, while its last kilometre slopes at 10.5%. This section also features the steepest ramp of 13.5%.

The 14th stage sets off in Tarbes, which was last included in the 2014 Tour de France, also as a departure place. The race went to La Pierre Saint-Martin. It was the first high mountain stage of that edition and Chris Froome soloed to victory with a clear 1 minute margin over his rivals.

In 2019, the route includes some minor hurdles in the first 50 kilometres before the Col du Soulor is tackled on the Ferrières side. The climb is 11.9 kilometers and the average slope sits at 7.8%, while the maximum grade is 9%.

The Soulor is crested just after the halfway point. The route descends to Argelès-Gazost and then runs false flat to Luz-Saint-Sauveur, where the final haul up the Tourmalet kicks in. The steady ascent of 19 kilometres at 7.4% kicks it up a notch in the last 3 kilometres. The third kilometre before the finish slopes at 10.9%, while the last kilometre rises at 9.8%.

Favourites 14th stage 2019 Tour de France

Is the race going to come down to a clash of GC riders or will we see the breakaway fight for the day’s honours? Both scenario’s are plausible. With approximately 50 kilometres on undulating terrain to the foot of the Soulor, the route lends itself for the attackers to open up a substantial gap. If De Gendt is up the road with some of his breakaway-expert colleagues, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to think that they will tackle the Tourmalet with a lead of 10 minutes or more.
 On the other hand, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched either to think a lot of GC riders have lost time in the Pau ITT and are eager to make up ground lost. So the break may well be controlled and a pure GC battle on the Tourmalet is just as likely.
(Sitting firmly on the fence there and subject to change, post ITT)

:*:*:*:*:* Thibaut Pinot, Egan Bernal, Geraint Thomas
:*:*:*:* Steven Kruijswijk, Nairo Quintana, Mikel Landa
:*:*:* Jakob Fuglsang, Adam Yates, Richie Porte
:*:* Rigoberto Uran, Emmanuel Buchmann, Romain Bardet
:* Thomas De Gendt, Vincenzo Nibali, Michael Woods, Fabio Aru, Warren Barguil etc
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    I am super excited to see what Alaphilippe will look like tomorrow.

After that ITT win, I don't know... should be exciting to watch, he looks so strong.

I mean I still think he will be beat in the high mountains, but then again. If you told me before today he would win either A) A mountain stage from the favorites or B) the ITT. I think I would have picked A. So should be good.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    There is one sure bet for tomorrow. Geraint Thomas has said that they now consider Alaphillipe a serious threat. Alaphillipe had better come with good body armor, because they are going to throw everything at him - including the kitchen sink.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3251
      • stage 13  1st and 2nd = gc 1 and 2: this may not be so coincidental anymore?
      • gaps in the GC are now clearly signifacant at this stage in the race. However, there are twice as many riders within 5 minutes after the leader after stage 13 compared to last year
      • "if he continues like that - he's gonna win" - quote #ineos G.Thomas, about #yellow Alaphilippe
      • "we don't have the team to win the Tour de France, I just want to enjoy" - quote #Alpahilippe, concerning opportunities for keeping the jersey
    • interesting tactial matchup for the next couple of days: in the red corner #ineos Bernal and Thomas, in the blue corner #quickstep Más and Alaphilippe #yellow[/b]

(reposted with one addition from stage 13 ITT results post)[/list]
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    There is no way that Alaphilippe can hold yellow for more than a couple  of extra days.  He certainly will not hold it until Paris.  Even if he survives today (and he might - he has a good gao so he doesnt have to finish with Thomas to keep yellow), he has gone VERY deep in the Tour up to this point ... he has used a lot more than the likes of Thomas, Bernal, Kruijswijk, Pinot and Uran.

However, if DQS are smart they can use his position to help Mas ... as T-72 said, Alaphilippe and Mas in one corner and Thomas and Bernal in the other. 

Pinot is an interesting one.  He lost time in the crosswinds - and seemed to drop his bundle a bit for the media - but hopefully the great result for him yesterday is enough for him to pick himself up and realise that its not all over.  That he still has a chance at a good result if he puts it all on the line.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Get ready for an old Sky train today. Be interesting to see if anyone attacks on the 1st mountain
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Get ready for an old Sky train today. Be interesting to see if anyone attacks on the 1st mountain

I think it'll be like Grand Central station, today.
    DQS train will break down early, then we will probably have an Astana, EF and a Movistar train. We might even get a little French TGP running.
    Last up will be British Rail. :D

Question is: Has Alaphillipe managed to buy a ticket to the end of the line? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    interesting tactial matchup for the next couple of days: in the red corner #ineos Bernal and Thomas, in the blue corner #quickstep Más and Alaphilippe #yellow

However, if DQS are smart they can use his position to help Mas ... as T-72 said, Alaphilippe and Mas in one corner and Thomas and Bernal in the other. 

It will be hard for DQS no doubt. I mean is Dries Devenyns their third best climber? I think their best bet for the time being is to align their interests as much as possible with Ineos. Basically have Mas sit on Bernal and move if he moves, and Alaphillipe sit on Thomas and move if he moves. That way they can use Ineos to fend off any other GC threats for the time being as their interests should align.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    This edition of Tour de France is so close.  Up to stage 13 the gap between 1st and 10th place is 3'55". Last year the distance after stage 13 was 14'18".

Obviously, the type of parcours until stage 13 makes a huge difference when comparing a year to another. However, comparing time differences between 1st and 10th place upto stage 13 since 2011 makes 2019  by far the closest one.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    yeah, the Alaphilippe type of stages are over now. Maybe his reign will still last another couple of days though, who knows.

It'll be interesting to see, what influence the time trial will have on the performances today. After losing time in the wind, yesterday guys like Uran, Porte, Pinot and Fuglsang delivered the good result which was needed to stay in touch - but at what cost?! They had no choice but to go as deep as possible (while guys like Thomas, Bernal, the Bora boys and so on could save a bit of energy), and may pay the price for that today.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    I agree that the outcome of this and the stage tomorrow will be decisive. I checked if the GC winner could be found in the top three after stage 13 since 2011. And yes, finishing in the top 3 in stage 13 is conducive to winning the tour. So, Alléz Alaphillippe!   :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3263
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    DQS train will break down early, then we will probably have an Astana, EF and a Movistar train. We might even get a little French TGP running.

How's that crystal ball feelin' now? :lol

I guess @alafpolak managed to find a 3rd class compartment that still had standing room.

Today, it looked to me like his caboose was ready to lose its hitch a few times, but he managed to ride smart the whole climb. Never poked his nose into the wind once. I think the only real danger point tomorrow will be the Mur de Peguere, but that summits 38 km from the finish. Good descent to catch back on.

Ineos does not have the strength they've shown in past Tours. Which is very interesting. Quintana is getting zero stars from me in future forecasts. Well, maybe one. Porte - looks like the Sky train was his best days, never to be seen again.

Pinot, looking great. Too bad about the x-winds. Still, if future mountain stages play out in a similar way, he MIGHT get back on the podium.

If Alaphillipe survives in #yellow tomorrow, Monday is a rest day. Tuesday is flat, and Wednesday is hilly. DQS should be able to protect him both days. Thursday - we go over the Izoard and the Galibier. Ineos might try and launch Thomas on a Landis[1] over the Izoard, a la Froome's Giro. But I don't think they have the strength or dominance to do that this time. And nobody else, IMHO, is strong enough to give such a strategy a go. If it were Dumoulin and Thomas, I would say Dumo could go with Thomas. But not Julian. Too much mountain. His strategy will have to be staying in the wheels.

I would think the most likely strategy would be an attack on the Galibier - and that could come from  #groupama#jumbo, or  #movistar. ATM, it doesn't look like anybody else has the chops to pull that off. Based on today, I'm doubtful that Ineos will be able to pull it off (shock of shocks!). But it would be the next most likely spot for a GC attack. Over the Galibier, and only a descent to the line.

But it's the next day, over the Col de I'lseran, with a mere 124 km day, and the summit only 30 km from the finish, that is, I think, a danger point.

Saturday, the final mountain stage, is shaped a bit like today, but the ramps are much less steep. Alaphillipe should be able to hold the wheels. And that leaves Sunday's parade into Paris.

I would have to say the odds still favor someone else in #yellow in Paris - Thomas, or Bernal. But if I had a way to do it, I'd be betting on Alaphillipe, to hell with it!
     1. I'm not referring to the Dark Side of his effort - rather the long range attack that would seem suicidal at first glance. If I get too much blowback, I'll figure out some other way to say it, but "doing a Landis" has a certain cachet.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 18:52 by M Gee »

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
     I like old Georgie Bennett. Typical Antipodean: doesn't mince his words.
    Nice riposte from Geraint, too.
    In one respect he had a better day: It's the first Saturday that he didn't crash. :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Seems he did buy the ticket to 1st class as well
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    well that was a fun stage.

Movistar tactics were interesting.  They were all in for Quintana - but obviously he didnt tell them that he wasnt up for it and to GTF off the front.

FDJ took over at exactly the right time - put everyone under extreme pressure and watch the fall out.   Very happy for Pinot.

DQS got an armchair ride.  Barely had to pull the peleton, and Alaphilippe got to follow wheels.  He certainly struggled a bit at times, but he pulled through incredibly well and when Thomas cracked it gave him that boost to push on.

For me, the person in the best place was Kruijswijk.  He was so strong ... never looked in trouble at any point, and when Bennet took over and put the pressure on, you could see him saying 'go faster George'.  He is a real threat!!

Ineos look under pressure like never before.  Bernal struggled - perhaps at hte end of his peak now.  he was ready for the Giro before crashing, had a short break and prepared for the Tour so is possibly just peaking way too early.   Thomas had a not-so-strong performance and we started to see some cracks in the facade.  Whether this was just an off day and he can come back strong is yet to be seen.  He certainly didnt lose the TdF yesterday - but it did show the other teams how to do it.

Smartest move of the day - Alaphilippe gifting the stage to Pinot.     You will never convince me that Alaphilippe could not close that gap to Pinot if he had wanted to.  He has a finishing burst and could have done it.    But a few extra seconds wont change things for Alaphilippe - he will either hold on, or lose minutes .... but allowing Pinot to get away and not dragging the rest up to him, won him much needed friends.   FDJ have a few good support riders, and they may well help DQS today or in week 3 when they need it - even if its just a bit of help pulling the peleton along or chasing down a competitor. 

I am not saying FDJ will ride for Alaphilippe - not by any means.  But they will certainly be willing to help when it suits both teams and that is more than Alaphilippe had yesterday.    After 2 stage wins and 10 days in yellow - another stage win is not as important as winning friends.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "Thibaut a des jambes de feu, il a la gnac", Gaudu said in the post race interview. He really seems to be in the shape of his life. :cool

But nice to see that also #movistar Amador had some moments of joy yesterday, after setting the pace for what felt like 100 km :)

https://twitter.com/onlyraisa/status/1152608293048725504
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    DQS got an armchair ride.  Barely had to pull the peleton, and Alaphilippe got to follow wheels.  He certainly struggled a bit at times, but he pulled through incredibly well and when Thomas cracked it gave him that boost to push on.

Alaphillippe clearly still had his finale punch but to me he looked to be in big trouble around the time that Thomas fell away. He was not pedalling at all smoothly by then, I thought he might be cramping. In comparison with almost everyone else, of course, he was doing amazingly well, but as long as we don't get into negative racing, I still don't see him holding on without a proper team when it counts.

My goodness, #movistar. A fabulous team effort only for Quintana to fail completely. I only hope that #arkea has qualified most of the deal as bonuses.

It may be a bit too early to call but I think Thomas is finished. He holds the wheels but not much more. Bernal looks a bit better but #ineos generally isn't where everyone expects it to be. The word "plateau" springs to mind, or maybe the gains are very marginal indeed these days. #jumbo certainly looks to have found a similar recipe.

Even so, I don't see Kruijswijk as a winner. He looked rock solid and the Alps will suit him but I just don't quite buy him. Buchmann is good in the wheels but I don't see him taking it on either. So for me, the big question is whether Pinot can hold on for Week 3 when he was already firing on all cylinders from Day 1. This could still be his year if he keeps it together. He's got a stage win and now he can afford to wait for the others to try to crack Alaphilippe.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 459
    Yes another fascinating day in store, then some time to regroup before those three mega stages - so it does seem everything is completely up for grabs;  best race in years not at all unrelated to the absence of Froome; although not at all suggesting he would have won if fit.

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know the derivation of Alaphilippe's social media name?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [Today at 12:44]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly