collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2920
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
TDF 2019, Stage 15: Limoux > Foix Prat d'Albis 21/07/2019 - 185 km

At 185 kilometres, the 15th stage of the Tour de France is the second race in the Pyrenees. The stage is tailor-made for mountain goats. The race to the unprecedented Prat d'Albis serves 4,700 metres and the last climb amounts to 11.8 kilometres with several double digit ramps.

Following the start in Limoux the route takes in a number of intermediate climbs before a summit finish at the unprecedented Prat d'Albis. The race includes a total of 4,700 vertical metres.

Before tackling the ultimate climb the riders face the Col de Montségur, 6.8 kilometres at 6% -, above which the ruined Cathar castle with the same name is perched.

A flat section leads to Tarascon-sur-Ariège before a false flat takes the riders to the foot of the Port de Lers. The riders tackle the 11.4 kilometres climb at 7% after almost 110 kilometres in the saddle.

Following the fast descent into Massat, the route once again starts to climb on the Mur de Péguère, which is a monster of 9.3 kilometres at 7.9%. The first six kilometres are friendly weaving upwards on the Col de Port before the actual Mur de Péguère kicks in. Which is a monster of 3.3 kilometres at almost 13%.

The first three riders over the summit pocket time bonuses of 8, 5 and 2 seconds before flying down a 15 kilometres descent into Foix. Shortly the final haul up the Prat d’Albis appears. The road to the summit of the Prat d’Albis is multifaceted. Steady initially, the road kicks up at 10.5% in the fourth kilometre and 11% in the sixth before the climb levels out as it enters the open section towards the top.

Favourites 15th stage 2019 Tour de France

Naturally, the lead of the attackers will be the deciding factor if they do or don’t. Riders eyeing the polka dot jersey – De Gendt, Ciccone, Wellens… – are expected in the breakaway, as there are a lot of KOM points to be gained. Obviously, how the race unfolds depends on the GC, so while the parcour lends itself to a successful breakaway, the maillot jersey teams may well have ideas of their own.

:*:*:*:*:* Egan Bernal, Julian Alaphilippe, Thibaut Pinot
:*:*:*:* Emanuel Buchmann, Mikel Landa, Steven Kruijswijk
:*:*:*  Enric Mas, Thomas De Gendt, Rigoberto Uran, Geraint Thomas
:*:* Michael Woods, Dylan Teuns, Vincenzo Nibali, Richie Porte
:* Giulio Ciccone, Tim Wellens, Fabio Aru, Dan Martin
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 16:54 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    I think the Mur de Peguere will be Alaphillipe's biggest test. If he survives this day, odds on him winning should approach 50/50.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I'm not sure, I'd think the Alpes are a far bigger test for him.

Tomorrow could be fun though. Ineos looks vulnerable, Quickstep isn't particularly strong anyway, so there's a chance that we'll see gc guys attacking on the Mur, I guess (especially if they have team mates ahead)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Yup. Definitely those incredibly long climbs in the Alps are his real acid test.

As for tomorrow and fun. What about this, when it's jam packed with crazy fans?

No train taking that strain.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    I'm not sure, I'd think the Alpes are a far bigger test for him.

Tomorrow could be fun though. Ineos looks vulnerable, Quickstep isn't particularly strong anyway, so there's a chance that we'll see gc guys attacking on the Mur, I guess (especially if they have team mates ahead)

I will agree that the Alps to come will be harder. But if Alaphillipe gets over the Mur de Peguere and doesn't lose any time? His odds of being able to go the whole way just go way up in my book. Thomas has said "He's a real contender", but half of that is race talk.

I totally agree that we'll be watching GC guys attacking on the Mur.

Yup. Definitely those incredibly long climbs in the Alps are his real acid test.

As for tomorrow and fun. What about this, when it's jam packed with crazy fans?

No train taking that strain.
    Which mountain belongs to that skinny road? It's a paved goat path.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

I totally agree that we'll be watching GC guys attacking on the Mur.
    Which mountain belongs to that skinny road? It's a paved goat path.

Mur de Peguere of course. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    I'll tell ya what. Here's some interesting words on the subject of Alaphillipe, from over at Velonews:
    Everyone now knows that the shadow boxing is over. Alaphilippe is the rider with the best form. He continues to lead the overall standings. His star isn’t fading.

Meanwhile, traditional scripts are being torn up. There’s little evidence of burgundy being better than the blue of recent years. And maybe, just maybe, Alaphilippe can pull off a giant coup.

We leave the last words, however, to a Frenchman who knows the sport and the athletes and the Tour very well. Alexander Roos, the cycling editor from L’Equipe believes that, although Alaphilippe is good – amazing even – it may be that Pinot is the Frenchman most likely to prosper on a route that features many more mountains.

“I think Thibaut Pinot is probably the best climber in this Tour,” says Roos. “And there are many mountain stages to go so the terrain is very much in favor of him.”

Furthermore, concludes Roos: “Alaphilippe’s coach said that the day he is going to collapse, he’s going to collapse spectacularly, in minutes not in seconds."
    The French Revolution Continues: Alaphillipe increases his advantage

I'm thinking I have to go all the way back to LeMond and Fignon to find a Tour with so uncertain an outcome. Every tour in between we've pretty much known by now who was going to win. Oh, sometimes there remains a slight possibility of an upset, but I can't recall any upsets coming to fruition. Not like Froome's Giro - which WAS a come from behind, unpredicted, outcome. But that was the Giro. I'm sure y'all will come up with some examples of other "close" Tours, but I can't think of any. There's last year, but there the surprise was that Geraint didn't crash out of the lead, not an upset.

Pinot DID look really good today, and everybody was pumping the speed on the Tourmalet. Maybe he's finally got a good combination.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    fascinating race now.

While Alaphilippe only lost the time he gained on the Tourmelet ... I do think (have always thought) that he cant stay the distance for the GC.  He has gone too deep early in the race, and he doesnt have the team.  When you have a weak team, being in yellow is a significant disadvantage as you have to control the race, and everyone will attack you whenever possible.

if you are Buchman on the other hand - no one even remembers that you are there.   

So - discounting Alaphilippe, we have 5 riders within 40 seconds of each other - and 3 incredibly difficult mountain stages to come, where already the GC contenders are cracking at various times and coming in with large gaps.   It really is for any of them to win.

I think Landa and Valverde are too far back - but both are very attacking riders, and you just never know.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Can someone explain Movistar tactics I have my earliest cycling memory is the  1980 Olympics.  I may have missed a section here and there that would help with the question of course but I just don't get it
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3264
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Can someone explain Movistar tactics

Part of it is...

Divided loyalties; riders looking out for themselves; lack of team cohesion.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    they got some of it right yesterday.

They got Quintana (as well as Amador and Soler) into the break.  I assumed this was to act as support and to have guys up the road for Landa.   That was the bit they got right.

But then Quintana had Amador and Soler working for Quintana to try and get more time/win the stage, when Quintana didnt have the legs (again).

And then Landa attacked - so they (eventually) got Amador and Soler to drop back and help Landa - but they were used up a bit from working for Quintana so they werent all that much use.

Then when Landa bridged ... Quintana wouldnt work for him so it was all a bit pointless.

:fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    in my opinion, both days the tactics were almost perfect. Yesterday the only problem was, that the front group got too much of a gap, so that Amador and Soler had to waste energies for Quintana's virtual 2nd place in GC
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 03:06]

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [August 18, 2019, 22:36]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly
    [August 18, 2019, 21:54]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [August 18, 2019, 21:03]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly