• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1606
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Stage 16: Nimes > Nimes
« on: July 20, 2019, 18:28 »
Hard day, easy day, x-winds, . . .

Who's on first? I DON'T KNOW!   :lol

It's a sprinter's day.

If Alaphillipe is STILL in #yellow, I expect  #deceuninck will focus on protecting him first, and putting somebody up front for the stage 2nd.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 18:39 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12822
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 16: Nimes > Nimes
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 19:14 »
    It definitely looks like a day for the sprinters...

but #jumbo Jumbo says, the chances are slim, as neither them nor Quickstep are going to chase.

https://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20190722_00115595/jumbo-visma-ploegleider-maassen-kans-op-massasprint-klein

#lotto Lotto will, of course, for Ewan. But is that enough?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 21:45 »
    It definitely looks like a day for the sprinters...

but #jumbo Jumbo says, the chances are slim, as neither them nor Quickstep are going to chase.

https://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20190722_00115595/jumbo-visma-ploegleider-maassen-kans-op-massasprint-klein

Everybody and their dog to try to get into the breakaway.
    If #lotto are clever (and have a bit of luck), they put Ewan and 1-2 other riders in there themselves.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:12 »
    The race kicks off with 37C, hits 38C fairly quickly and 36C forecast at the finish.
    "Feels like" given as 42C. Wind from the SW with gusts of 25kph.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:14 »

#uae UAE wants to contribute to the chase as well. Kristoff's coach says he should be stronger now, as he can count on his own qualities instead of having to rely on Philipsen's non-existent leadout abilities :lol

https://www.bt.no/sport/i/mRe88p/Langt-mellom-norske-lyspunkter-i-Tour-de-France--Ikke-gatt-sa-veldig-bra
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 09:17 »
    #uae UAE wants to contribute to the chase as well. Kristoff's coach says he should be stronger now, as he can count on his own qualities instead of having to rely on Philipsen's non-existent leadout abilities :lol

https://www.bt.no/sport/i/mRe88p/Langt-mellom-norske-lyspunkter-i-Tour-de-France--Ikke-gatt-sa-veldig-bra

Given the heat, lightish winds and a headwind finish, I thought it would be a slow day.
    Now I know it! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 13:48 »
    On another topic: the unfolding dynamics and tactics we've seen as we go along. Specifically, Sky/Ineos. Portal has been a master tactician to date. But he always relies on one basic tactic as a base for the rest. It's the steamroller: keeping the pace steady, but super-high, and just rolling over everything in the way. It's a bit like a chessmaster who only opens with pawn to Q4.

So this year, they haven't been able to get the steamroller started. And they may have missed a move or two in the Pyrenees. I have to wonder if Portal has been a little one-dimensional, but it wasn't clear, because that one dimension was so successful.

Well, we'll see!
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 17:31 »
    You know, I think this Tour will forever be known as Alaphillipe's Tour. If Pinot wins, that would be completely ironic, eh? :D
    So, I said it would be known as "Alaphillipe's Tour". Turns out the French may not agree. From the Secret Pro's email:
    Everyone thinks that Alaphilippe is the darling of French cycling but it's Pinot who gets the roars from the side of the road.

I think DQS have mentally decided they are likely to lose #yellow in the Alps. Today, with Asgreen, Richeze and Morkov doing lead-out train duty for Viviani says they are not 100% devoted to saving energy for the Alps. It's been a fun run so far!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 20:45 »
    I think DQS have mentally decided they are likely to lose #yellow in the Alps. Today, with Asgreen, Richeze and Morkov doing lead-out train duty for Viviani says they are not 100% devoted to saving energy for the Alps. It's been a fun run so far!
    They're racing the Tour like a classics squad: There was a stage to be won today, and they did all they could to make that happen.
    Worry about tomorrow tomorrow. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 03:00 »
    I think they know that Alaphilippe cant win it - they are realistic.  Vivianni didnt need much help, just a short lead out in the last few km's.  DQS didnt pull all day or try and bring the break back at all.  'That was left to Lotto and Jumbo ...

Also I dont know if you noticed, but Enric Mas dropped off once the pace went up.  Saving energy for the mountains.  DQS are playing it smart - having a go when it doesnt cost them too much, but planning on JA doing the best he can.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts