collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1649
[2.HC] Tour of Wallonia
« on: July 27, 2019, 18:17 »
The Tour of Wallonia was created in 1974 as the Tour of Western Hainaut but was also called The Three Days of Péruwelz, Tour of Hainaut, Four Days of Western Hainaut, the Tour of the Walloon Regions (1994-1995; the name I first got accustomed with). It was opened to pros in 1996 with the Tour of the Walloon Region and got the name Tour of Wallonia in 2007.

This year's route:

Start List

First stage from Le Roeulx to Dottignies is won by no other than Timothy Dupont.

Dottignies (Dottenijs in Dutch) is a town around Tournai where there used to be the only Walloon cyclocross in the calendar, before the Namur cross was created. I don't know if that cyclocross still exists. Of course it's close to the Language border.

Profile for the 3rd stage: La Roche-en-Ardenne - Verviers

The Signal de Botrange at 683m is the Top of Belgium !! You may laugh.  :lol It's not even a classified climb. In the finale the riders will have to climb the Rue de la Papeterie twice, which is a short but steep climb, not even classified either.

Profile for Stage 4 : Villers Le Bouillet - Lierneux ! Queen stage I guess

Profile for the final stage Couvin - Thuin :

The Mur de Thuin is a classic in the Tour of Wallonia, where Danny Van Poppel and Greg Van Avermaet used to win. As often said, it used to be the decider in the 1960's and early 1970's Walloon Arrow. It's a relatively short and cobbled climb, so Flemish type.

Couvin is the town where the Donnay tennis racquet used to be manufactured, at the time famous Björn Borg played with it.

Unfortunately, the factory is no more, went bankrupt in 1988, I guess.

And I was in Le Roeulx, this morning!  :P

I found it curious that the Le Roeulx coat of arms was the Lion of Flanders !!!

Le Roeulx is a neighbouring town to Soignies where I was in 2013 and took pictures of young Tim Wellens and Greg Van Avermaet:

I thought it was a part of Soignies because it's really really small but it's a town of its own.

And just like last year in La Louvière, we had a Jack Russell in pole position, Lars Van der Haar was again chatting with a Roompot rider, this time the other Lars who made a name for himself in cyclocross, namely Lars Boom!  :D

Tosh Van der Sande signing an autograph:

Arnaud Démare responded to an interview. It's his come back race but he said he felt good at training but doesn't know whether he would be competitive in racing. Interestingly he said there was no Tour of Spain for him this year. He talked about the Lowland Tour (I think he still called it Eneco Tour!) and Hamburg (and another race I don't remember).

There was of course good ole Stijn Devolder, 39 years of age, celebrated by the announcer for his palmares. Corendon unfortunately had no Mathieu Van der Poel but no Tim Merlier either.  :(

CCC team with Nathan Van Hooydonck and Guillaume Van Keirsbulck among others:

Again the "nephew" Nathan Van Hooydonck (OK I know it doesn't do him justice to constantly relate him to his uncle but well I was an Edwig fan, forgive me! ;))

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Re: Tour of Wallonia
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22 »
    Today's queen stage is live on Eurosport at 3.30pm and on RTBF 2 at 3.00pm (CET).  ;)

https://www.programme-tv.net/programme/sport/r350501-cyclisme-tour-de-wallonie/15734647-4e-etape-villers-le-bouillet-lierneux-178-2-km/

Surely it must be streamed as well. As usual all the post Tour of France stages are covered.

Loïc Vliegen is still in the lead.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 243
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 19:28 »
    Your Greg van Avermaet looks a bit like Cadel Evans.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 11:38 »
    Your Greg van Avermaet looks a bit like Cadel Evans.

Really! Oh well on second thought, he really doesn't look like Van Avermaet at all but I would be surprised if Cadel Evans ever came to the Tour of Wallonia. Well it's impossible in 2013 because he was racing the Tour of France.

This being said, I'm not a physionomist at all. :D
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 243
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 19:27 »
    Yeah, I doubt it's Cadel Evans, but this would be my first thought seeing the picture.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts