Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3276
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 04:08 »
Stage 2 Preview
https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1155223968334471180

[I'm going to bury the other stage previews here as well, so I don't have to keep searching back through Twitter each day. I'll shuffle them around as needed on a daily basis]
Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:22 by Drummer Boy »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12822
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00 »
    Umberto Marengo took full advantage and rocketed past #ef Lawson Craddock,  #academy Edwin Alcibiades Avila Vanegas, #303 Griffin Easter and  #axeon João Almeida  to take what was a surprisingly emotional win for both himself and his team #neri.

I don't know much about him, but he won lots of amateur races over the past two years, so I guess he put quite a big effort into this "finally turning pro" thing. Usually no one picks you up at age 27 anymore, so first achieving that, and then even winning a high level stage must be quite a relief for him.

#elevate Piccoli got a 20s penalty for drafting by the way, which means he (for the moment) drops back to 13th in GC
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7759
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 09:52 »
    https://twitter.com/NeriSelleItalia/status/1161404364998795276

A crash in the peloton right at the end took out Canola and Reijnen. The American took a long time to get up. Trek say nothing is broken, but he's unlikely to start today.

The big loser again from the GC guys was Harper. He must be ill or summat.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12822
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 12:53 »
    First time they've been back to Powder Mountain since 2014 when Danielson won. There were big gaps that day.

...and they have added an additional section above the tree line (of 2.2 km length) in the end. In 2014 it topped at ~2500m

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57 »
    ...and they have added an additional 2km in the end. In 2015 it topped at ~2500m

Did they truck more dirt to the top to make it go higher?

Or some other method?  :P

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 16:47 »
    Dauner Diary

https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_116653.htm

I saw Bauer on the final lap at the back of the peloton on the climb, but he managed to hang in there and contest the sprint.

The riding right at the front of the peloton didn't seem to be punishment from Ciolek. Thurau says "As we learned in hindsight, we were able to see it in Eurosport's TV broadcast for quite some time". ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 18:12 »
    One person who shouldn't be fazed by today's finishing climb is Keegan Swirbul.

Back at the end of July he won the Mount Evans Hill Climb. If you can't remember it's a 44km climb up the highest paved road in the States. It starts at 2300m (!) and finishes at 4300m (!!!).

He finished just ahead of team mate Tvetcov and then there was a bit of a gap back to Bassett, Hoehn and Morton. Some clues maybe as to how today will pan out.

Just for some comparison, his time was still 2m30 down on the record of Danielson from back in 2004.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 04:57 »
    I missed it live, but watched the evening broadcast on Fox Sports without a clue as to what had transpired.

That was some sloooooow uphill racing. Add to that the extremely sparse roadside fans (only two or three in view at a time, mostly) and it felt like witnessing a practice run.

Fox Sports has Steve Brown (?) and Todd Gogulski in the booth, who I'm generally a fan of, as he's been there, done that, and offers some very legitimate race analysis. However, it tends to be somewhat humorless and dry—a bit like the end of today's stage atop Powder Mountain.

They did offer an interesting comparison to Alpe d'Huez (of course), after a few testimonials from riders as to how daunting the Powder Mountain finale really is. Gogulski himself did a recon of it for the cameras as well.

By the numbers (or their numbers, at least):
    (It's too late for me to remember how to insert a proper table)

Climb Powder Mountain / Alpe d'Huez
    Length 13.84 km ----------------13.84 km
    Gradient 9%/16% ---------------8%/13%
    Elev. Gain 1179 meters ----------1124 meters
    Elev. at Top 2694 meters -------1850 meters

The dirt/gravel section at the very end was only a couple of hundred meters, and appeared to be more ceremonial than decisive in any way. But the climb itself proved to be quite decisive.

Peter Stetina #tdftrek launched the first assertive attack with 7.3 km remaining which prompted Joe Dombrowski #ef to follow suit. He was soon joined by Niklas Eg  #tdftrek, James Piccoli #elevate, and Ben Hermans #academy.

It wasn't long before Piccoli and Hermans distanced themselves from the others, only to catch, and immediately pass, Stetina with seeming ease. Piccoli applied the pressure, and it looked like he was in control. In the next breath, the moto reporter relayed that Piccoli had given him "The Look" as he passed by, which conveyed, to him, that Piccoli  "owned" this race. A thought reinforced by Gogulski as he felt that Piccoli would have the better sprint to the line if it came down to it.

But alas, before any further analysis could unfold, Ben Hermans (wearing a black armband in tribute to Bjorg Lambrecht) let it be known the he owned the day, as he distanced his breakaway partner at around 3.5 km to go, and never looked back. The gaps between the final five riders remained around 20 to 30 seconds for each of them, and fairly represented the GC rankings at the end of the day.

Hermans not only took the stage win for his efforts, but secured the Leader's Jersey over Piccoli by 22 seconds in the GC. Previous leader Lawson Craddock #ef was 12th on the stage +3:10, and ended up 9th overall +2:56.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #39 on: August 15, 2019, 05:28 »

Being in the BOTD proved a rather costly effort. Five of the six riders involved finished up OTL. Austin Stephens was the only one who lived to fight another day.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 00:48 »
    Stage 3 had a good, aggressive finish.

Lawson Craddock #ef took the reins in the final few Ks, and looked to be making a bid for a stage win. He and Kyle Murphy #rally held off ten determined pursuers, including James Piccoli  #elevate and Ben Hermans #academy, long enough to create some excitement.

Then Craddock broke loose and struggled desperately to be the first one over the summit of the final climb, hoping for an unhindered descent to the finish. But Ben Hermans once again had plans of his own. After comfortably following Piccoli's wheel, Hermans launched another dominant attack, for the second day in a row, that left everyone in his wake as he easily caught, and passed, Craddock just before the cresting the final uphill section. From there it was smooth sailing to the finish line, with a gap of over five seconds,  for his second consecutive stage win.

There's no doubt who the strongest rider is in this year's Tour of Utah.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 05:57 »
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 14:53 »
    Stage 4 Preview
    https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1158077494936965120

Stage 4  »  Salt Lake City  ›  Salt Lake City   (86.5km)

Late stage this evening for most. Should be a short one though.

For me, this is about the same time I usually watch the TV re-broadcast, should I see be able to watch it live in its entirety. Tour Tracker goes live for me 7:30 pm. Although I'm just now seeing that TV coverage begins at 8:00 pm, so maybe that'll be live too? I guess I'll find out.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 15:04 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 03:48 »
    Stage 4 winner...

*nz Heyden McCormick! (Team BridgeLane) :win

...of the Bell Lap.  :-x :lll :flustered

Poor dude. He was super aggressive in the final descent prior to the line—serious super-tuck while pedaling the whole way. He managed a gap over the peloton, and went all out. Only to raise his arms in the air...for what was only the start of the final lap. 
    :S

But there may be more to it than what was immediately apparent.
    https://twitter.com/TimBonvilleGinn/status/1162541001023664128

You have to feel for anyone putting on such a public display, only to have their dreams dashed in front of the finish-line crowd, with all the cameras rolling. If the bell was rung incorrectly ahead of time, then it's really hard to fault him, especially with all the noise of the finishing area only adding to any confusion.
     :(

If it's any consolation though, Hayden was awarded the Most Aggressive Rider jersey on the day. Hard to argue with that, I suppose.

All's well that ends well?

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:28 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #45 on: August 17, 2019, 04:38 »
    If you prefer a more detailed account of Stage 4, I would recommend perusing what was very active Live Chat from last night.
     :P

It was pretty much straight-up racing right from the start. No neutral zone, just go, go, go.

Travis McCabe #worthy was active in the intermediate sprints, earning valuable points along the way.

Various breaks came and went. But once the final lap had been agreed upon by all, it seemed that McCabe would finally have his day in the (setting) Utah sun. Teammate Serghei Tevetcov well earned his pay, applying pressure, keeping the pace high, and staying active in the breaks at several points in the race.

When it came down the final upward sprint to the line, Travis had good position and the finish in sight. But from a few positions back, and with a powerful and sustained effort, #nippo Marco Canola, still bandaged and bruised from his crash on Stage 1, stole the show in emphatic fashion. His team had worked hard all race, and now we know why.

1. Marco Canola #nippo
    2. Travis McCabe #worthy
    3. Brendan Rhim #arapahoe

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1162569530129784832

In spite of missing out at the line (again), Travis earned enough points throughout the day to take over the Sprinter's jersey.  :)

GC remained unchanged.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #46 on: August 17, 2019, 18:22 »
    Some of the highlights from yesterday's stage. ;)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 18:49 »
    4.2km at 6.3% sounds easy enough, but it's tougher than it looks.

https://twitter.com/mycolsapp/status/1162762765548888064
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #48 on: August 17, 2019, 19:23 »
    Stage 5 Preview
    https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1159966703767437312

Stage 5  »  Canyons Village  ›  Canyons Village   (128km)

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #49 on: August 18, 2019, 01:34 »
    Not too much to report on.

Yesterday's hero, Hayden McCormick (Team BridgeLane) scored a hat trick by collecting all the top KOM points today. He was motivated after yesterday's unintentional media attention, and showed good legs throughout.

Travis McCabe #worthy kept the Sprint Jersey, and Ben Hermans #academy easily defended Yellow, putting more time into his GC rivals in the final uphill push to the line.

João Almeida #axeon held onto his Best Young Rider jersey, and Lachlan Morton #ef was awarded Most Aggressive.

Speaking of Hayden McCormick...

He and Lachlan Morton #ef struck out on the slopes of the final climb with about 7.5 km remaining, slowly reeling in the solo attack by McCormick's teammate Dylan Sunderland. After catching and dropping Sunderland, the duo worked well together, intent on keeping the rest of the chasers from spoiling their own podium ambitions. They then maintained their aggressive pace on the dirt road to the summit.

Some technical descending followed, with a near miss on one turn.
    (They almost went the wrong way!  :o)

As the road turned up again towards the finish, Morton jumped from inside around a late bend from about 400 meters out. He powered up from long range, and juuuuuust beat a hard chasing McCormick to the line.

It would've been sweet vindication for the man from Team BridgeLane, but Morton was just too strong and timed his final attack well.

4.2km at 6.3% sounds easy enough, but it's tougher than it looks.
    Indeed. It was.

Like I said, it was close. Very, very close.  *au vs  *nz

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1162888557909819392

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1162890245706174469
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:24 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #50 on: August 18, 2019, 16:48 »
    Some of the highlights from yesterday's stage. ;)

So it was a sunny day? :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #51 on: August 18, 2019, 20:03 »
    So it was a sunny day? :D

The later finishes for those two stages might be better timed for the viewing US population, but it comes with certain hazards. I have to say though I don't think I've ever seen race footage spoilt that badly (just to be clear, it was for a very short time and only at certain points on the circuit). Don't most cameras have some sort of filter to reduce those effects?

As for today's stage (just starting). Hermans hasn't looked in trouble so far, but from what I remember last year, he did struggle a bit on the Empire Pass climb and only regained his second spot in GC on the descent.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #52 on: August 18, 2019, 20:05 »
    Forgot the results!

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 03:06 »
    I'm too tired and too preoccupied for detailed commentary this evening. Will try to offer something tomorrow as I could use a self-review of the final stage anyway.

25+ Ks of downhill in the latter part of the stage meant not much action until the road started to go up again.

Stage 6  »  Park City  ›  Park City  (125.9km)

But when it did, the race got sorted proper. I will say, 21-year-old  *pt João Almeida  #axeon rode very impressively. Smoothly pedaling his way up Empire Pass, with seemingly little effort, he showed himself to be a serious future contender.

In the end...
    https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1163228003154817024

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1163233167488106496

I was glad to see James Piccoli  #elevate being rewarded for his efforts. He put himself out there day after day. Nice to see him make more than one trip to the awards presentation.
    https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1163226702098522112

https://twitter.com/TourofUtah/status/1163232022862499840

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:18 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 09:29 »

I do worry a little bit about the future of the race.

It's a busy time of year with Binck Bank, ARoN, Burgos, Czech Tour and l'Avenir all going on at the same time and the effect of that was obvious in the amount of WT teams present and the drop off in level of riders this year. The thing is it could get worse in 2020 with the Olympics. I don't know the exact dates of the races in Tokyo, but even if it's several weeks apart from Utah it could still produce a knock-on effect as other races shuffle their positions a bit later in the calendar.

More positive news from earlier in the year was that two American races had applied for this new Pro Series or whatever it's called (the rebranded UCI ranking for HC). Utah must be one, so it's not all doom and gloom.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 15:25 »
    Riders hate dumb stages too. [Quote may have been embellished.]  :shh

Truer words were never spoken:
    "Bike racing has a script," said EF Education First's Joe Dombrowski, winner of the final stage in Park City and third overall. "The breakaway goes away. Someone chases the breakaway. And if it's a stage where someone is pretty confident they can win, then they're going to bring the breakaway back, and they're going to race for the win.

"There's this whole period in between where we're just kind of riding around," Dombrowski said. "The longer the stage, the longer the amount of time we're just sort of riding around. It's not really interesting. In the Tour de France, that's when they start showing helicopter shots of castles and whatever else.

"So I think that having shorter stages is a good move, and I think we're seeing see other races doing that, too," he continued. "From my perspective, in this race there wasn't much time when we were sort of just noodling. At races when we are, I think it's kind of boring. I don't think it's particularly exciting for the people watching and, in the end, I don't think it really changes the result."
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 15:27 »
    Some possible explanation for the weird #floyd --> #worthy name change:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-landis-tour-of-utah-demand-that-team-change-name-was-personal/

Landis says it was personal, that the race organisers didn't want his name on any equipment at their race.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 15:51 »
    Some possible explanation for the weird #floyd --> #worthy name change:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-landis-tour-of-utah-demand-that-team-change-name-was-personal/

"I was back in Utah in 2009, I think, and I stayed with Greg Miller and his family," Landis said. "From what I understand he's told people, 'Floyd looked me in the eye and told me he didn't dope.' So maybe he's still bitter about that. But if that's the type of thing that gets you worked up, maybe cycling isn't the sport for you."
     :D
    "Frankly, it's why there's no money in cycling. It's ridiculous. People are always complaining why there's no money in cycling. But instead of doing this objectively and looking at the team's value, their making decisions on purely personal vendettas. Honestly, I've had enough of that in my life."
    :floyd

#floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd #floyd

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts