Thomas De Gendt
Carl Fredrik Hagen
Tomasz Marczyński
Tosh Van der Sande
Brian van Goethem
Harm Vanhoucke
Jelle Wallays

Stage hunting

It is my impression from interviews with Carl Fredrik Hagen (in the week after the Poland tragedy) that he will most likely start out riding for GC, but he will not be protected by the team. The team's priority is stage wins.  When/if he's dropped out of contention (for top 10), Hagen will go for stages too.

With #lotto Carl Fredrik has developed rapidly towards a climber for the big hills (this includes dropping Alaphillipe on the final stage in the Dauphine...! ) and his first year as a pro is basically a success already. Hardly anyone in Norway expected this much from him, but it proves the point that when our national races don't cater for good climbers they are ranked as mediocre flatlanders with poor sprints and overlooked. (The last few years the Norwegian national cup has added a stage race with some good climbs in the mountains, but this came too late for Hagen.)

I hope he has recovered enough from the loss of Lambrecht to train well in the meantime, and I am curious to see how well he does in a 3-week race. My preduction: surprisingly well, if the tragedy hasn't completely destroyed his preparations. Physically, he is very strong and one of the Norwegians with a very extensive training schedule. Rumours has it he spends more time on the bike than Kristoff, but I doubt that is correct. However, I reckon the challenges this time certainly haven't been purely physical.

Apart from that, he isn't very good on time trials but there are riders that can't TT that has made it in to the top 10 in the vuelta before, so it just might work out for Hagen too.
  • ReplyReply

•