collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13137
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Excellent point about stopping the race.
For a TTT, this shouldn't have presented a major problem. It could've been managed.

I can't see how. With 4 minute start intervals and that patch of water coming ~9 minutes into the race, there's no way it would have been fair for everyone.

No matter at what time they would have stopped it, there had been at least two teams on the road, either having to cope with the wet roads or having to start the TTT again at less than 100% fitness
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I can't see how.

Maybe spray water at the final turn before the finish to even the playing field then?  :D

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7559
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    For a TTT, this shouldn't have presented a major problem. It could've been managed.
    I think the teams who were on course at the time of stoppage wouldn't exactly be excited to be set on 'pause' mid-effort ...

... but they would probably prefer that to crashing.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    I think the teams who were on course at the time of stoppage wouldn't exactly be excited to be set on 'pause' mid-effort ...

... but they would probably prefer that to crashing.

My point exactly! If you want to prioritize safety, sometimes you have to sacrifice fair race for safe race.

In downhill ski racing, the skiers that are stopped due to problems with other sikres in front get to choose when to start again. Most have a completely pragmatic approach to it: this won´t happen to anyone very often (fortunately), and they are happy to stay safe rather than go «all in» to a potentially dangerous situation that may force them to slow down or change course, and thus lose time anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13137
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    If you want to prioritize safety, sometimes you have to sacrifice fair race for safe race.

well, did you hear any of the Quickstep guys complaining about the wet patches or the Jumbo car in the middle of the road because they were "unsafe"?! No, they complaint because it cost them the win. That's what it's about, nothing else.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 08:53]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search
    [Today at 07:30]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by LukasCPH
    [December 04, 2019, 07:54]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [December 04, 2019, 07:35]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim