collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13103
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 2: Benidorm › Calpe
« on: August 24, 2019, 17:13 »
Stage 2: Benidorm › Calpe

August 25th

looks like a fun stage to kick things off on Sunday:

>3000m of climbing there, so probably no chance for the sprinters. And in all likeliness #red will be up for grabs (at least if Jumbo takes it on day one), so it should be a big fight for the breakaway right from the start.

If it somehow comes back together... there's still this little beauty to cope with in the end

~24k to go from the top:

Calpe is a popular Winter destination for some teams, so plenty of riders may know the routes from training. And also the "Alto de Puig Llorenca" is a well known climb, as it is the ~800m shorter version of "Cumbre del Sol" (stage finish in 2015 and 2017)

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 2: Benidorm › Calpe
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 17:15 »
    and yes, I think this is one of the "seven sprint stages" some people were talking about :dizzy
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 17:10 »
    those idiots on Eurosport got on my nerves quite a lot today. "Who would have thunk that the sprinters got dropped?" "Who would have thunk that we see attacks on the climb?", blah blah, blah... everyone who had a look at the profile, i guess.

But well. In the end #movistar Quintana won and #sunweb Nicolas Roche took the #red leader's jersey.

Who would have thunk :dizzy
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 253
    • Awards: 2019 Vuelta prediction champ2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 20:54 »
    Nice to see Quintana back. At least he wasn't chased down by Valverde. After reading the article at CN, that nobody told him about Carapaz I thought he would again be isolated and it would break him mentally. I hope  #movistar backs him as their only GC rider now.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3566
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 22:03 »
    After reading the article at CN, that nobody told him about Carapaz I thought he would again be isolated and it would break him mentally.

Which article was that? What wasn't he told?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3566
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 01:08 »

Why does Quintana look pregnant?  :S

What the...???

Same at Paris-Nice
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:37 by Drummer Boy »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32 »
    the jersey design going to dark at the bottom certainly doesnt look flattering   :D

well done Quintana !!!!

Everything I had read before the stage talked about sprinters holding on etc - it being considered a sprint stage.   (I didnt look at the profile, had just seen the headlines and blurb)     when I turned it on and started watching, I got quite a surprise that the talk was essentially that it was going to be a GC stage.

and so it was.
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 253
    • Awards: 2019 Vuelta prediction champ2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 21:58 »
    Which article was that? What wasn't he told?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-guarded-on-chances-of-taking-a-second-vuelta-a-espana/

Colombian had 'no idea' Carapaz would not be taking part

Asked about how the last-minute absence through injury of Giro d'italia winner and teammate Richard Carapaz – one of Movistar's key players for the Vuelta – was being handled by the rest of the team, Quintana said he had limited knowledge of what had happened.

"I don't really know much about that, nor was I aware the decision had already been taken he would not race," Quintana said. "All I know is that he was going to take part and now he's not."

Showed at least ongoing communication problems or non-communication in team Movistar.

Post Merge: August 26, 2019, 22:02
    Why does Quintana look pregnant?  :S

I always wondered about the shape of his belly.
  • ReplyReply

•