collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3010
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 11: Saint Palais > Urdax-Dantxarinea 180kms

Wednesday 4 September - At 180 kilometres, the 11th stage of the Vuelta a España leads from Saint Palais in France back to Spain. The arrival is in mountain village Urdax. Urdax, also known as Urdazubi, is located in the Pyrenees. In the 2016 Vuelta a España the peloton was nowhere to be seen when attacker Valerio Conti soloed to victory. He was by far the best rider in a front group that arrived half an hour ahead of the main group.

Once the flag drops, though uncatagorized,  the route climbs to the village Lohitzun-Oyhercq. This sets the tone. The 11th stage does not feature any long or steep climbs, but the roads are far from flat. Which will surely do damage. Not to mention that it disheartens the sprinters.

The route includes three uphills for mountain points: Col d’Osquich (at kilometre 77 – 4.9 kilometres at 6.1%)

Col d’Ispeguy (at kilometre 123 – 7.2 kilometres at 7.1%)

That last climb is 7.6 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 4.7%, while the summit is reached inside the last 40 kilometres.

Also, the route features a false flat drag with 8 kilometres remaining.

We are in the second week of action and the race has been energy-sapping, so chances are that the breakaway may well survive. La Vuelta is often a race for attackers and this is likely to be an emblematic stage with strong riders surviving the warm weather conditions.
A sprint from this select group is the most likely outcome.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3431
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    So we can expect a lott o' camera time for #lotto Thomas De Gendt?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12968
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    So we can expect a lott o' camera time for #lotto Thomas De Gendt?

didn't you see all the X's in the city names?!

it's :carrot :broccoli :carrot time!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7898
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://twitter.com/WielerFlits/status/1169139330323025920

My condition is deteriorating. I really feel that this is my third big round in a row and that my energy level is falling.

After posting this, he's bound to win the stage.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    here are today's final ~65k btw (via @raffilpt):

hard to say how this will unfold. #mitchelton Mezgec may want a sprint, but on paper it looks too hard for Mitchelton to control it all alone. Will anyone else be interested in keeping things together?!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    It's the home stage for #murias Cyril Barthe. "This stage will take place on my training roads", he said in l'Equipe this morning. "It's never really flat, more of a leg-breaker actually. The climbs of Osquich, Otxondo and especially Ispéguy [where Barthe holds the strava record] are not easy at all and the pavement of the roads is far from perfect. It's a stage which suits a punchy climber joining the breakaway."
  • ReplyReply

•