collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7470
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Uno-X Development Weekend
« on: September 03, 2019, 11:30 »

Three one-day races in one weekend

In 2018, Uno-X Sykkel (the cycling organisation behind the #unox team that will go ProConti for 2020) and the cycling clubs Lillehammer CK and Ottestad IL organised three 1.2 races in the area around Lillehammer and Hamar, with an ITT and two road races.

This year sees the second edition of this Uno-X Development Weekend, consisting of the Hafjell GP, Lillehammer GP, and Gylne Gutuer GP.
The Hafjell TT is the time trial, a fairly simple and (for Norway) flat out-and-back course.
Saturday's Lillehammer GP is a different affair, seven laps of a hilly circuit around the host city of the 1994 Winter Olympics.

Finally, the Gylne Gutuer is a race that started in 2011, inspired by the Strade Bianche, and including loads and loads of gravel roads. From 2015, it was part of the Norgescup, and this continues even as there is now an international race (the Norgescup race was held in June). The 2016 edition saw Truls Korsæth crash entering one of the gravel sectors:

In recognition of that, the sector has been named Truls Korsæth's Corner. ;)

Teams
Like the cycling team, the Uno-X Development Weekend is about development. Accordingly, the startlist includes many of the best-known development teams in cycling as well as Scandinavian ProConti, Conti and domestic teams, plus a smattering of Norwegian club teams and regional selections.
As the three races, teams can change their line-ups from day to day if they want to.

#axeon Hagens Berman Axeon (USA, ProConti)
#riwal Riwal Readynez Cycling Team (Denmark, ProConti)
#unox Uno-X Norwegian Development Team (Norway, Conti)
#joker Joker Fuel of Norway (Norway, Conti)
#waoo Team Waoo (Denmark, Conti)
#coloquick Team coloQuick (Denmark, Conti)
#differdange Team Differdange-GeBa (Luxembourg, Conti)
#coop Team Coop (Norway, Conti)
#seg SEG Racing Academy (Netherlands, Conti)
#maif Maifracing (Sweden, domestic team)
#lottou23 Lotto Soudal U23 (Belgium, domestic team)
#herning Team Herning CK Elite (Denmark, domestic team)
#obwiik Team O.B.Wiik-Dan Stillads (Denmark, domestic team)
*no Asker CK (Norway, club team)
*no IK Hero (Norway, club team)
*no Lillehammer CK (Norway, club team)
*no Bygdø IL (Norway, club team)
*no Ringerike SK (Norway, club team)
*no Sandnes SK (Norway, club team)
*no Glåmdal SK (Norway, club team)
#zappi Holdsworth Zappi Racing Team (UK, domestic team)
*no Tønsberg CK (Norway, club team)
*no Region TeVeBu (Norway, regional selection)
*no Region Central (Norway, regional selection)
*no Region East (Norway, regional selection)
*no Region West (Norway, regional selection)

Broadcast
Last year's races were broadcast on Norwegian TV, this year will also see an international livestream with English commentary.
Yours truly will travel to Norway on Thursday to be just that commentator. :D
The livestream will be available on firstcycling.com/live, broadcasting the last two hours of the ITT as well as the two road races in full.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:44 by LukasCPH »
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Uno-X Development Weekend
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 11:30 »
    6 September: Hafjell TT, 22 km ITT

As the only UCI-level ITT in Norway, it offers a valuable opportunity for Norwegian riders to test themselves against international competition.

The course is fairly straightforward. From the start in Øyer, the route goes up the Gudbrandsdal more or less close to the Lågen river to the turning point just before Tretten and back to Øyer again. While in the valley, the 22 km are not completely flat, instead the road often goes up or down, with four main climbs (none of which are especially long, though).

Fus' favourites
    Last year's winner #bornholm Martin Toft isn't starting - neither is ITT #champno Andreas Leknessund. But with seven of last year's top-10, four of the top-6 of the U23 European ITT championships, and three of the top-10 of the Tour of Denmark ITT stage, it will be a very good competition.
    It's almost a shame that U23 ITT #rainbow Mikkel Bjerg and U23 ITT #champeu Johan Price-Pejtersen won't be able to wear their champion's jerseys as the race isn't an U23 race.

:* :* :* :* :* Johan Price-Pejtersen
    :* :* :* :* Mikkel Bjerg, Niklas Larsen
    :* :* :* Mathias Norsgaard, Rasmus Quaade, Daan Hoole
    :* :* Ian Garrison, Julius Johansen, Morten Hulgaard, Tobias Foss
    :* Andreas Vangstad, Torjus Sleen, Kristoffer Skjerping, Andreas Kron, Maikel Zijlaard
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 21:35 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31 »
    7 September: Lillehammer GP, 133.5 km

The Lillehammer GP consists of seven laps of a circuit in and around the city that hosted the 1994 Winter Olympics. On the first lap, the peloton bypasses the steep Kurudgutua climb in the neutral section, with the real start at the top of that climb - but on the following laps, these 600 metres at an average 7.1% (with parts that are twice as steep and on a very narrow street) will really hurt. From the top, it's a gradual descent to the bridge across Lake Mjøsa and a flat section along the western shore of that lake. After 15 km, the riders reach Vingnes from where they cross the Mjøsa again on the long, straight Vingnesbrua well-known from the Tour of Norway.
    The second climb of the circuit, the 2.2 km, 5.4% Maihaugen, starts right after the bridge, twisting and turning through the city, partly on steep, narrow streets, and ends around the kilometre mark.

Seven laps of this are certain to create a selection - in 2018, Alexander Kamp won solo ahead of a group of seven riders.

Fus' favourites
    Last year's winner Alexander Kamp is not on the startlist, but there are plenty of proven winners with a.o. Tour of Denmark champion Niklas Larsen, Tour de l'Avenir winner Tobias Foss, and Arctic Race stage winner Markus Hoelgaard. The result is harder to predict than in the time trial, but the winner will have to have a punch on the final time up Maihaugen - having stayed with the best on the laps before, of course.

:* :* :* :* :* Tobias Foss
    :* :* :* :* Niklas Larsen, Markus Hoelgaard
    :* :* :* Rasmus Quaade, Maarten Kooistra, Rasmus Guldhammer
    :* :* Kevin Vermaerke, Ole Forfang, Idar Andersen, Morten Hulgaard
    :* Erlend Blikra, Jakob Egholm, Sven Burger, Krister Hagen, Bjørn Tore Hoem
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 13:13 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31 »
    8 September: Gylne Gutuer, 173.5 km

Saving the best for last, the weekend ends with the Gylne Gutuer, held around Stange in "Norway's Tuscany" - rolling terrain with lots of gravel roads.
    . "Gylne Gutuer" means "golden roads" in Norwegian, and if there's sunshine, the 60.4 km (!) of gravel roads (on 12 separate sectors, all of which are done several times for a total of 34 sectors) will look glorious. If it's raining, however, it could become more of a mudbath.

There are a couple of climbs with about 100 metres of altitude gain each, but most of all the race will be a test of bikehandling and stamina. Only the best rouleurs can contend for the victory.

Fus' favourites
    to follow ...
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 13:26 by LukasCPH »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3430
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 13:43 »
    Last year's races were broadcast on Norwegian TV, this year will also see an international livestream with English commentary.
    The livestream will be available on firstcycling.com/live, broadcasting the last two hours of the ITT as well as the two road races in full.

:cool

So you're doing the English commentary?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 14:51 »

So you're doing the English commentary?
    Exactly.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1057
    « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 18:21 »
    Broadcast

Will you be doing the whole broadcast on your own or do you have a co commentator?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 18:21 »
    Will you be doing the whole broadcast on your own or do you have a co commentator?
    It will be my dulcet tones only, as far as I know. :angel
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 21:37 »
    I've arrived well in Lillehammer. Can see the 1994 Olympic ski jumping hill from my window. I wonder if any of the riders here used to be a skijumper? :D

Iver Knotten isn't starting the ITT, so I obviously had to remove him from the favourites' list for that. As Julius Johansen is now doing the ITT after all, he's a one-for-one replacement.

There are 137 riders on the final startlist, the Hafjell TT will start at 10 am. Live broadcast from 12:30.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 00:39 »
    It will be my dulcet tones only, as far as I know. :angel

Should Liggett knock on the door, don't let him in!  :D

Those early (EST) hours might just work for me with my mixed-up sleep patterns as of late.

I'll do my best to tune in!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 16:32 »
    Well, that was fun! :D

I talked for 3.5 hours on end as the race developed from a slow burn where not that much happened to a frenzy of new best times being set by almost every rider at the end.
    U23 ITT #rainbow #axeon Mikkel Bjerg has shown he's in Worlds form by winning with 28" down to U23 ITT #champeu #coloquick Johan Price-Pejtersen and 45" to #riwal Rasmus Quaade.
    Jon Breivold (Bygdø IL) in 20th place is the best Norwegian club rider.

You can re-watch the race broadcast on https://firstcycling.com/live/.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 17:59 »
    Well, that was fun! :D

I talked for 3.5 hours on end

Yes, and I heard most of it.  :)

So it was much more than the "last two hours" as advertised. Beautiful looking roads for that course.

I was also quite impressed with the overall quality of the broadcast. Mostly glitch-free (only a few very minor freeze-ups), good multiple camera angles, and nice work by the moto-cameras. I'm surprised by what must be a healthy broadcast budget for a such a niche race.

The next couple of stages are quite early, even by my super early morning wake-up schedule. But I expect to be tuned in now that I can count on good coverage.

How is atmosphere around this event? Is the public paying much attention? Is there much going around besides the race itself?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 06:02 »
    I was also quite impressed with the overall quality of the broadcast. Mostly glitch-free (only a few very minor freeze-ups), good multiple camera angles, and nice work by the moto-cameras. I'm surprised by what must be a healthy broadcast budget for a such a niche race.
    Yes, the quality of it all is excellent here. The broadcast was very well-produced, I 'only' had to sit and talk. And everything else around the race is well-organised as well. For a .2 race, or even for an HC race, really. WorldTour level.
    It helps when the CEO of Uno-X doubles as the race director and is someone who takes care and wants to do things not just okay, but very well. To name one example he told me, #unox have three mechanics here in Lillehammer to service the riders' bikes etc. where most Conti teams would have only one who'd have to do it all alone. That way, nobody gets overworked, and it is a job you do happily.
    Yesterday, everybody around the race, from the technical director to the volunteers building the finish line, looked relaxed. Not because they had nothing to do, on the contrary, but because they knew that things were taken good care of.

How is atmosphere around this event? Is the public paying much attention? Is there much going around besides the race itself?
    The TT was held on a small sideroad a bit away from Lillehammer by design - to minimise the impact on people who want to go to and fro and provide a fair setting for a test against the clock. Because of that, there were very few spectators at the race yesterday, but that was always expected.
    Today we go through Lillehammer itself, and it's a Saturday, so I hope there will be some crowds. :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 06:31 »

It was a good race, action from start to finish.
    When they caught #unox Hoelgaard at the top of the final climb just over 1 km from the finish, it would have been a good moment to counterattack - that is where Kamp attacked to win last year. But everybody was reassessing the situation, looking around, checking which riders were still there, and so the moment passed, and we had a sprint.
    #coop Aasvold opened up early, hoping that nobody would be able to pass him, but #coloquick Niklas Larsen easily went around him in the last 100 metres to win.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7898
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 08:22 »
    Magnus Brynsrud down in fourteenth could be a name to watch out for in the future (probably not today though).

Just eighteen and has been riding for the Dare Devo this year. I can't be bothered to search back in the relevant thread where we discussed them before, but there is some affiliation there with Uno-X and it's an attempt to produce more Norwegian climbers by giving them a more suited racing calendar than they would get by just riding locally.

They've had a few stage races down in Spain. Navarra (Magnus finished 13th), Leon (19th but with a team mate in third) and Palencia (2nd behind Lakzano who's turning pro with Caja next year).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 09:15 »
    In place in Stange for the highlight of the weekend: The Gylne Gutuer! :cool

My favourites for today:
    https://twitter.com/lukascph/status/1170610574260154368
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3300
    « Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00 »
    When they caught #unox Hoelgaard at the top of the final climb just over 1 km from the finish, it would have been a good moment to counterattack - that is where Kamp attacked to win last year. But everybody was reassessing the situation, looking around, checking which riders were still there, and so the moment passed, and we had a sprint.

You maintained a quite informative style as a commentary where the ones I usually listen too would be way more dramatic, emphasizing the tactical decisions and giving #unox Foss and #joker Hoem(?) a hard time for their failure to decide the race when they could.

«Foss first up the final narrow section of the hill, Hoem close on his wheels, a small gap to the rest of the group strong out behind them, just a small accelration now and they should leave the group behind... but WHAT are they doing? They are stopping!? They are giving the race away! Who are they waiting for? They keep looking for someone that doesn´t seem to be there! No-one takes the initiative!! Oh well, here comes #coop and... it´s another danish win.»
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 14:33 »
    Excellent work, Lukas!  :cool

That was quite a good stage. Nice course, with enough gravel to make it interesting, and some good, aggressive racing throughout.

Some fun tactics at the end there, with two riders finally having enough of the chit-chat and deciding to take the bull by the horns.

Nice win for the sponsor! #unox :win

Two things though, before you depart:

1) I need a full #unox for my wardrobe.  :cool

2) And one aero team bike in the Green-Gold gradient.  :snooty

Although I'm quite fond of the Red-Black color scheme as well. So maybe one of each?

:lol

Who's your friend, Lukas? Who's your friend?  :P
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 252
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 22:05 »
    Watched the last 30 km of Gylne Gutuer, nice race, nice commentary.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1057
    « Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 22:41 »
    Lukas do you have any idea how much it cost them to have the live transponder for the finish line to instantly put the result of the road races up on screen for the viewers?

It seems ridiculous that a weekend of three 1.2 races can do it but some of the biggest races in the world can't
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 23:57 »
    When I tuned in this morning (early!) I immediately noticed Lukas to be more relaxed and light-hearted, and then I heard the sound of his co-commentator's voice—so obviously having some company there was good!
     :)

Who was your sidekick, Lukas, and how did that come about?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 05:57 »
    Third day: Gravel, gravel, gravel!
    The race deserves its name "Gylne Gutuer" - golden farm roads - with 60.4 km on gravel roads through the rolling countryside south of Hamar, dominated by golden wheat fields.

It was a pretty crazy race, and I honestly can't remember all of it from memory.
    There was an early break of three club riders that got over five minutes, and two more riders tried (but never succeeded) to bridge to the front. Returning to Stange for the first crossing of the finish line, the race was more or less reset, with the early break only a little bit (less than a minute) ahead.
    From then on, the situation changed all the time, absolute madness. Attacks all the time, groups forming, splitting, and merging continually. In the end, #unox Skjerping and #coloquick Hulgaard attacked with just under 2 km to go when the move initiated by #unox Resell on the last gravel sector had been brought back.

Skjerping and Hulgaard made it to the finish, and the Norwegian let Hulgaard take the lead through the last corner, getting into the perfect position for the sprint himself, and came around the Dane to win.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00 »
    All three race broadcasts continue to be available to watch on firstcycling.com/live/, by the way. :)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3300
    « Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 21:21 »
    Lukas, did you have a chance to check the gear they used for the Gylne Gutuer? My eyeballing isn't very precise but I thought I saw quite a few quite narrow tyres, maximum 28 mm but more likely 25 mm tire width on deep section aero rims at one point when I was studying the riders in the breakaway.

In that case they don't prepare very much for the gravel conditions. I have 32mm wheels on one of my bikes now, and they are fast, even on "better" road surfaces. I am in worse shape than ever but down the hills I accelrate quicker and reach higher speeds for nothing, and that's the wheels,I am quite sure.[1]
    As they are fast on asphalt, and more stable in the softer stuff (and the grip in tight turns!), wider has to be  the type of tires for flattish races with lots of gravel sections.

1. The alternative theory is that a closer approximation to a bullet shape rider results in reduced aero drag.   :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 15:19 »
    #unox Uno-X take a look back at 'their' race weekend in their YouTube series, Det Neste Steget (The Next Step). You can hear me in there as well a few times:

Kudos for including that last bit about Skjerping not getting a new contract and being understandably frustrated about it. Many other teams would probably just have kept quiet about that. :cool

I can't be bothered to search back in the relevant thread where we discussed them before, but there is some affiliation there with Uno-X and it's an attempt to produce more Norwegian climbers by giving them a more suited racing calendar than they would get by just riding locally.

They've had a few stage races down in Spain. Navarra (Magnus finished 13th), Leon (19th but with a team mate in third) and Palencia (2nd behind Lakzano who's turning pro with Caja next year).
    Yeah, #daredevo is basically the development team of #unox - picking up promising riders from Norwegian club teams for race stints in sunny (and mountainous) Spain. I expect the best of the #daredevo riders to 'graduate' to the (soon to be) ProConti team eventually.

You maintained a quite informative style as a commentary where the ones I usually listen too would be way more dramatic, emphasizing the tactical decisions and giving #unox Foss and #joker Hoem(?) a hard time for their failure to decide the race when they could.
    It 'helps' when you're commentating on your first-ever road race and aren't quite sure yourself what is going on. :lol
    But really, when Hoelgaard had been caught, they were into the final kilometre - and in my opinion, that really isn't the time to analyse racing decisions, but to call the race as it happens.

Excellent work, Lukas!  :cool

Two things though, before you depart:
    Merci! :cool
    I'm afraid I had left the race surroundings already when you made your 'request'... :P

Watched the last 30 km of Gylne Gutuer, nice race, nice commentary.  :cool
    Thanks! :cool

Lukas do you have any idea how much it cost them to have the live transponder for the finish line to instantly put the result of the road races up on screen for the viewers?
    I don't know for sure. But I think it can't have cost much (if anything) extra:
    The timekeepers were there anyway, and instead of just getting the results (and crossing order on each lap) onto the timekeepers' laptops, the people involved made their technologies talk to each other to include that in the broadcast.
    It's a little bit extra preparation for a lot of extra value, and, like you, I find it incredible that it is so rare in cycling races (I've basically only seen it at the Worlds).

When I tuned in this morning (early!) I immediately noticed Lukas to be more relaxed and light-hearted, and then I heard the sound of his co-commentator's voice—so obviously having some company there was good!
     :)

Who was your sidekick, Lukas, and how did that come about?
    To be quite honest, it felt a bit weird at first to have someone else there! :D
    But that feeling went away quickly, and from then it was great to have a co-commentator there with me.

It was Magnus Linnestad[1], the guy who conducted the pre-/post-race interviews and other 'inserts', e.g. from the Staur til Søndre Elton sector.
    More knowledgeable than me on the Norwegian riders (understandably so), and it was good to have someone to talk with instead of just rambling on my own. Compare it to a solo breakaway vs. break of two. ;)

Lukas, did you have a chance to check the gear they used for the Gylne Gutuer?
    I honestly didn't look at that.
     1. yes, the brother of race technical director Anders Eia Linnestad
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.