collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13086
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 12: Circuito de Navarra › Bilbao
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:56 »
Stage 12: Circuito de Navarra › Bilbao

September 5th

For stage 12 the Basque Country invites the Vuelta for a fun finish right after the Muro de Arraiz

The road is asphalted but pretty narrow and steep with some hairpin turns. The ascent is 2,4 km long. The average gradient is 11.5%, with sections up to 20%.

Locals like #astana Omar Fraile, #murias Mikel Bizkarra or #cajarural Jonathan Lastra have marked this stage to take a breakaway victory on home roads, but it could also be a good opportunity for #movistar Alejandro Valverde to take back time in GC.

In Luxembourgian media #bora Jempy Drucker mentioned that this would be a stage for Sam Bennett and that they'd try to keep things together for him on Thursday. Movistar will be happy to hear that and hope that they won't have another (closer) look at is, as Bennett's chance to succeed on such a finish are obviously 0%.

#astana Pello Bilbao analyzed the climb for deia.eus, he said "There is no place to recover. It will be a very hard climb, less than 10 minutes but that will demand a lot. There is no room to lift the foot. [...] It will be bursting with fans and there will be little room. [...] The last 600 meters are the place to attack. Before that it is very complicated because of the hardness of the climb. [...] The descent is steep, but not dangerous. For a good descender, a five second gap at the top may be enough to win the stage."
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13086
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 12: Circuito de Navarra › Bilbao
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:41 »
    some more details from the locals in today's As

#cajarural Jonathan Lastra: "Poeple are going to be surprised that something like this exists in Bilbao," says Lastra, who is wary of the amount of people on the climb. "It's a very short ascent, and that's going to be a problem. I don't know what time they are going to close access, but it will burst with people."

#murias Mikel Bizkarra: "It's a very hard climb, where the gc contenders will come to play. Personally, unfortunately I'm having a couple of bad days at the moment, and it will be difficult to show myself."

#astana Omar Fraile: "It's going to be a great finish, but it will be very nervous as the Arraitz climb is super narrow. I think it'll be my turn to take over control. It's an area I know very well, I train there every day, and the team knows that I can be very useful and play an important part in assisting Lopez."
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3558
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:31 »
    20%...20%...20%...  :o

Arraiz! Arraiz! Arraiz!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 11:32 »
     I think this stage has more potential to create significant time gaps between the GC contenders, than tomorrow, which will be another war of attrition and maybe another very short sprint.

Today's final climb.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 13:48 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.