collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3009
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 17: Aranda de Duero > Guadalajara 11/09/2019 - 219,6 km

The 17th stage of the Vuelta a España is likely to see a sprint finish. The 219.6 kilometres race kicks off in Aranda de Duero and travels on rolling terrain to Guadalajara.

The route features just one proper climb. Once the flag is dropped the riders navigate the undulating plateau north of Madrid. At kilometres, the Vuelta reaches the highest point of the Alto de Carrascosa at an elevation of 1,380 metres, which is 560 metres higher than Aranda de Duero.

After the Carrascosa the route continues on rolling roads to a likely sprint finish in Guadalajara. The last 3 kilometres run false flat uphill.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3296
    Loong stage, is this a bit of a SSS "Spanish sprint stage"?

The ones that feature some 3900 meters of climbing over uncategorized molehills and mesas and end up a murito?

The ones where the unsuspecting climbers are facing booby traps of crosswinds and disorganization in the team? A half-credible weather forecast source racks up 8 meters per second, which could be just about enough for some bordures action.  In the afternoon the winds will be from  from the NNE, this means that the first part of the course is exposed to tail-crosswinds. The exact wind direction will vary with terrain as will the road, but they are heading SE, and there are few  trees along the entire route.

Siguenza is at 90 km from the finish and from there it will be mostly tailwinds.

Shall we bet on a stage win for #ineos at last? Take the chance, or lose the opportunity.
    #uae Gaviria also quite decent in such conditions
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3407
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    A half-credible weather forecast source racks up 8 meters per second, which could be just about enough for some bordures action.
    This is what we must hope for to break up the otherwise-mundane nature of such a stage.

Shall we bet on a stage win for #ineos at last? Take the chance, or lose the opportunity.
    #uae Gaviria also quite decent in such conditions

You misspelled  #bora "Bennett."  :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:21 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3407
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Crazy, crazy Vuelta.  :cool

Crosswinds, intrigue, strategy, power, speed, a shake up in the GC...just like everyone predicted back on opening day.   
    :lol

Quote of the day has to go to stage-winner Philippe Gilbert  #deceuninck

"It was a very special one. I think it's the kind of stage that will stay in history, because of the way we rode. It was crazy from the gun," Gilbert said.

"It was really fast. I think I had an average of 110 RPM on my power meter and an average of 54kph. Sometimes on the flat we even went at 75kph. Throughout my career I have never done this. And that after seventeen years."
     :o

https://twitter.com/lavuelta/status/1171802736700141573

https://twitter.com/lavuelta/status/1171810119216222214

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3009
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Well, Mr T called it correctly with regards to the wind and boy did that flat stage deliver in terms of winners and losers. The top GC boys lost well over five minutes and some riders in the bottom half of the top twenty, five times that amount.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3296
    IMHO the wind came, but it was stronger than in the forecast I checked, with wind gauges along the road almost everywhere reporting 12 m/s, not 8 m/s.  In common tongue, that is bordering gale force winds and it was almost always on their tail,  with some sections more from the side. This pushed them along at ridiculous speeds. It was a bit like the Qatar worlds over again, but I think they were a bit slower in that race (it was longer too).

In my opinon there wasn't really that much action after the cameras went on half an hour or so before schedule. Except for the slow trimming down of the groups as both were shedding mostly thoroughly tired domestiques it was the hard struggles of #movistar to keep everythin at status quo by pulling simultaneouly at both ends of the rope that caught everyone's eye.

Is there anyone in the world that saw the objectives behind that kind of riding?

(Oh, and of course kudos to #lotto CF Hagen for hanging on to the finish line and cementing his 9th position by dropping #bahrain Pernsteiner and #cofidis Edet. His new old struggle now to keep Teuns from gaining another 1 min 30 secs. The chances he will actually manage the top 10 is now very high as 11th position is some 6 minutes down and with the third force of #movistar. Bend, not break,  and Calle can make it! :win <-- cause top 10 doesnt have a proper smiley and this is the best *no Norwegian GC performance in 35 years. And by the way, if he sticks the 9th position, it is the best *no GC performance
    E V E R ( :o)

This guy: (tweet is a week old but they are too tired to post anything relevant this week it seems...)
    https://twitter.com/Lotto_Soudal/status/1168537602783363074

*no *es #lotto Vamos a la Calle! #lotto *es *no
     :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4011
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I kind of get the idea of Movistar.  They drilled it in the Roglic group to try and get rid of the Jumbo Visma domestiques and isolate Roglic.  If he had to chase for 45km on his own they could potentially put Quintana in red.

And it worked.  They did indeed get rid of everyone from JV - and they did not make it back.  Roglic rode alone from that time with no other JV rider even close.

BUT - what Movistar didnt count on was that they didnt drop the Astana riders ... and they took over on the front to fight for Lopez.  They still lost over 1 minute in the last 40km as they were the only ones riding.  Pogacar and Roglic had no one to do it, and no one else was changing positions that much or had anyone who could help.

I would definitely have loved to see footage from when it all split up, and of JV trying to contain it ... but even without that the stage was really fun.

And - PHIL !!   :win :win :win 
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1613
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Crazy, crazy Vuelta.  :cool

Crosswinds, intrigue, strategy, power, speed, a shake up in the GC...just like everyone predicted back on opening day.   
    :lol

Quote of the day has to go to stage-winner Philippe Gilbert  #deceuninck

. . .

Yeah, I had to chuckle! Quintana, FINALLY, after all these years, seemed to be on the GOOD side of Luck! Added a little spice to the mix for the final week!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 251
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    I really like CF Hagen staying in the top 10. I hope he can confirm his performance in other stage races and GTs.

Quintana really makes the Vuelta interesting. I like how he fights on despite not being the best in the mountains anymore.
  • ReplyReply

•