collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3630
Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2020, 21:49 »
Next race up, same region - but a whole lot of levels up even if it is just a 2.1 race:

2020 Tour de L'Ain

Featuring
#ineos Bernal/Froome/Thomas
vs
 #jumbo Roglic/Kruijswijk/Dumoulin

The hardest GC lineup ever for a 2.1 race? there's at least 7 previous Grand tour winners present, not counting repeat victories ... 

The race features three shortish (140km) stages - a flat first stage, this Friday (there aren't that many sprinters here from the good teams, so I was thinking about giving it to #quickstep Hodeg directly. However, someone from #israel will give him some contest, just remains to be seen if that will be Greipel or Hofstetter.

The next two days features climbing, and lots of it.

Stage two (Saturday
) goes: Col de Montgriffon, Col de Cuviallat, Côte de Giron, Col de Menthières and finish up to Lélex Monts
These climbs are low latitude, long (~10km) and not steep climbs.  Perfect to get those climbing legs going. The Cuviallat is shorter than the rest at 3.4 km.

Stage three, Sunday: possibly the best climbing before the TdF this year:  longer and steeper climbs compared to Saturday up the Selle de Fromentelle (11km, 8.5%), Col de la Biche (6.4 km 8.9%) and finally the Grand Colombier - numbers not provided but it is a whole lot longer and steeper.  Most of the stage is identical to the TdF stage 15, I believe. So this is the main dress rehearsal. Teams will be there, mountains are always there, but I don't think there will be any any lights, camera, action ?

Is it gonna be on some TV channel?? 

Watch out for #ag2r home boys, their Chambery base is just down the road and even if they are fielding a 2nd rate squad with no Bardet, they may want to put on a show...day 1 breakaway with Nans Peters? Pierre Latour got something to show? 

There are outsiders among the climbers, but the GC win will be #ineos or #jumbo for sure. Rather than looking for winners this race is good for looking at who develops nicely and who struggles.  I am looking at #jumbo Tom Dumoulin, #uae Fabio Aru, #trek Richie Porte (no Grand Colombier descent for you!), #israel Dan Martin, #sunweb Sam Oomen, #lotto Carl Fredrik Hagen and #arkea Nairo Quintana.

I am not surprised if there are late changes to the start list as the virus is on the rise again in France and neighboring countries.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:08]

Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:04]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by t-72
    [October 19, 2020, 23:33]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by search
    [October 19, 2020, 22:44]

Re: Roadbooks by Thibautg16
    [October 19, 2020, 18:26]

Re: Roadbooks by search