collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8381
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Man Down - Injury Reports 2020
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:02 »
https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/continental/circus-wanty-gobert-triplice-frattura-in-allenamento-per-il-neopro-alexander-evans/

Not the best start to Alexander Evan's pro career. The classic scaphoid and elbow fractures following a fall in training.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1809
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2020
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 19:42 »
    Lukas, have you heard anything more about Niklas Larsen’s stage of recovery after his broken leg please?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7693
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 21:45 »
    Lukas, have you heard anything more about Niklas Larsen’s stage of recovery after his broken leg please?
    Sorry, no.
    I'll ask around. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3432
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 21:37 »
    Norwegians go down quickly in the spring  :S
    #jumbo Tobias Foss hit the ground hard in todays stage 2 of Valenciana and reports says: collarbone broken. Himself he says he'll be back quite quickly, but I have to admit I think it didn't look so good. I could hear Stig Kristiansen, his former coach at #unox - who until then had been chatting constant stream of knowledge as expert commentary at Eurosport - go quiet, then after a minute or two started rationalizing that it didn't look too bad nothing broken etc.

I saw his shoulder was really badly bruised too and that sort of made me remember that my own still isn't the same, after three years - and his looked worse. However, I guess the external damage looks more dramatic and heals faster than my internal shoulder joint damage. 

Anyway, after his Tour de l'Avenir victory last year (or actually, the podium the year before) Tobias is one of Norway's biggest hopes for the future, and as a GC rider and a climber probably our 2nd best after #lotto CF Hagen. I clearly wish a speedy recovery for him.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:24 »
    Gallopin fractured scaphoid, Baptiste Planckaert broken collarbone.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3191
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 17:03 »
    I can certainly pick 'em. My teams were like a war zone during the TDU.
    Yesterday Foss had a massive crash, today, young Charlie Quarterman went one better in Besseges, hitting a central reservation thingy at full chat. Looked absolutely horrific.
    Surprised he actually made it to the finish, albeit in the last little group.

I wonder who's turn it is tomorrow? :(

OK, so it was actually Matteo Moschetti. :cheesy
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:35 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 18:06 »
    I can certainly pick 'em. My teams were like a war zone during the TDU.
    Yesterday Foss had a massive crash, today, young Charlie Quarterman went one better in Besseges, hitting a central reservation thingy at full chat. Looked absolutely horrific.
    Surprised he actually made it to the finish, albeit in the last little group.

I wonder who's turn it is tomorrow? :(

Valverde, Fuglsang or Lutsenko hopefully*.

* I don't wish that on anyone tbh.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 19:47 by Joelsim »

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4563
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 19:43 »
    Oh no! GWS Matteo.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4563
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 19:55 »
    Oh no! GWS Matteo.
    Sounds a bad injury, could be end of season :( he can't catch a break
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8381
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 18:51 »
    https://twitter.com/YallaIsraelSUN/status/1227301200980271106

The team's not having much luck. First Sutherland, then Hermans and now Greipel. The devo riders could be getting a lot more race days for the main team.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 21:58 »
    Justin Jules out for 4 months with a broken femur.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13427
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3191
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 09:12 »
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-delays-season-debut-skipping-tirreno-adriatico/

:slow

Knee injuries have ended careers. They can be extremely difficult to recover from.
    Kept my niece out of competition for 2 years and she came so close to quitting.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13427
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 09:28 »
    yeah, sure, but why aren't they honest about it? Skipping the first race due to a little cold may make sense, but who is supposed to buy that he cancels Tirreno a month in advance because he can't fly to altitude camp although he "was feeling amazing" just a week ago?!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34 »
    yeah, sure, but why aren't they honest about it?
    Why indeed. :slow

I never understood why many people today are so reluctant to admit 'failure', rather doubling down on their point of view or spouting meaningless PR faff than just standing up and saying "this is what happened, we'll do better next time". :S
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 20:27 »
    Why indeed. :slow

I never understood why many people today are so reluctant to admit 'failure', rather doubling down on their point of view or spouting meaningless PR faff than just standing up and saying "this is what happened, we'll do better next time". :S

Why is that so difficult to understand?
    The individual wants to succeed.
    The team has brought him for winning big, the dream/prospect of the Dutch Tour de France victory is at hand.
    The fans are waiting for something good, hoping and dreaming.
    The rider hates to disappoint.

Don´t you think it is easy to slip into full denial mode then? I wouldn´t be surprised if this isnt just a physical problem by now.

I can releate to the riders perspective. Not as a sportsman but as a professional worker, we all hate to disappoint and sometimes it is hard to accept things aren’t progressing as they should. I think the team´s responsibility is to recognize how hard this is for him, and support him through the process. This would usually involve help him to communicate his problems too.

The true fans will support him nevertheless, and many will have stories of their own which makes it even easier to identify with the guy struggling to perform after a setback. The occasional supporter may not even notice he is out of action at the moment.

I don´t have a problem understanding this can be difficult for rider and team, but there´s no need for Dumoulin to keep on digging a deeper hole for himself.  It is a team responsibility to get him out of there.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 20:32 »
    I think the team´s responsibility is to recognize how hard this is for him, and support him through the process. This would usually involve help him to communicate his problems too.

The true fans will support him nevertheless, and many will have stories of their own which makes it even easier to identify with the guy struggling to perform after a setback. The occasional supporter may not even notice he is out of action at the moment.
    Yes.
    But effectively saying "we take him out of racing for two months longer than planned, but we don't tell you why, there's no real problem, all is good" is anything but good communication. Why not say why Dumoulin is out of action?

The occasional supporter who only comes out for GTs may not notice, but the more-than-occasional supporter may well - and does - wonder just what is going on.

They have now said (via the press) that it's due to something stomach-related, and therefore not connected to last year's knee trouble ... I hope that's true.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 21:12 »
    Lukas, we are very glad to have you here, even if that means #visma will have to make do with whatever communications team they can get :D They put all their money on the best riders, and you stay here until they realize they need quality staff to support their operations. «when Dumo´s out of the team, the team´s  economy will improve, so you can now finally can afford my services. I will charge only a litle more than him, but I can support the other captains too.»
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 12:03 »
    It’s not Epstein-Barr according to the team, they’ve tested for it already. Further tests planned, but he’s feeling tired and run down.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 20:38 »
    Norwegians go down quickly in the spring  :S
    #jumbo Tobias Foss hit the ground hard in todays stage 2 of Valenciana and reports says: collarbone broken. Himself he says he'll be back quite quickly, but I have to admit I think it didn't look so good.

Update: confirmed the damage is a bit worse than expected, collarbone broken in two places and surgery (I guess some sort of metal support) needed. Probably won't take very much longer to heal though it will require surgery at the other end of the season too.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 21:35 »
    and another one down and another one down

#joker Ludvik Aspelund Holstad - broken ankle | 3-4 weeks out of action | misses season opener at Rhodes + quite a few training rides :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3776
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 13:21 »
    USA! *usa USA! *usa USA! *usa

Wait...what?!?  :-x Yeah, this is an all-too typical story. The system here is a disgusting mess.

Phil Gaimon - $250,000 in debt after bike crash.

Collapsed Lung, 11 Broken Bones, Dead Olympic Dream, and Fighting Health Insurance is the Worst Part

What's also shocking is when he describes his lack of insurance as a pro rider.
    As Phil describes it, the UCI requires that riders have coverage, so he would buy a policy, present his paperwork to verify that, then cancel the policy because he couldn't afford the premiums.

So pro cyclists have to provide their own health insurance?
    Do teams not offer something? The UCI? Race organizers?
     :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 14:05 »
    So pro cyclists have to provide their own health insurance?
    Do teams not offer something? The UCI? Race organizers?
     :S
    It depends.

Pro cyclists can either be directly employed by their team, or they can be self-employed and then contract their services to the team.

If they are directly employed, the idea is that the team would cover social security (incl. health insurance). If self-employed, that (as well as taxes) is the rider's own responsibility - because of that, the minimum salary for self-employed riders is set at 164% of the minimum salary for employees.

I think that some countries, most notably France, possibly Belgium, require all riders to be direct employees and thereby part of the nation's social security system.

So much for the theory.
    What probably happens in practice is that the team offers the rider salary X, and there's never really a discussion about if this is direct employment or self-employed contracting. There should be.

Going by memory from Gaimon's book, he earned somewhere between 70k and 90k when riding for Vaughters. That's easily above the minimum wage for self-employed riders and will therefore almost certainly have been a self-employment contract since that gives the team less paperwork and add-on taxes and costs.

All that said, it is absolutely perverse that
    1) a not-small-but-really-not-that-complicated procedure incurs costs of a quarter-million $
    2) those costs, inflated though they may be, often aren't covered by US health insurances even when you do have insurance.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 16:35 »
    US Healthcare is a joke. Unfortunately it’s what the repulsive UK government wants to do too.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3776
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 19:03 »
    #uae Fernando Gaviria  - Corona virus infection, probably from UAE Tour spreading incident. No details on his conditions provided.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 19:07 »
    #uae Fernando Gaviria  - Corona virus infection, probably from UAE Tour spreading incident. No details on his conditions provided.

Mild and recovering.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1723
    « Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 16:25 »
    https://colombia.as.com/colombia/2020/03/19/masdeporte/1584634891_747839.html

Does this mean that Gaviria has recovered from coronavirus and hopes to get back to Colombia soon?  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 16:34 »
    Yep.
  • ReplyReply

•