collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3663
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Santos Tour Down Under
« on: January 26, 2020, 04:31 »
I may as well pen some final thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind.

I'd have thought you were crazy had it been suggested that I'd end up watching every stage of this race, but life is full of silly little surprises.
 :D

The time of day (evening) ended up working out perfectly for me this week, and thanks to Hola and GCN I was able to get quite good coverage of the event for free.

Some beautiful scenery, world class sprint victories, and fun in the live chat with FtP and AG. What's not to love about that?

As the final day unfolded, an ambitious break of 26 riders, made up from 18 different teams, were threatening to shake things up with a four minute gap that held for quite some time. The sickly Jens Voigt was certain of their chances for victory, so that alone probably sealed their fate.  *usa Joey Rosskopf  #ccc dared to dream among them, as he held the virtual lead for a considerable portion of the race. But in the end...well, you know.

Daryl Impey faded quickly once Willunga imposed a new terrain, and Richie Porte wasted no time executing one of the most predictable plans of the season. Porte looked strong and confident, as he had all week. The surprise of the day was the stage win by baby-faced  *uk Matthew Holmes  #lotto. He jumped away with Porte on the final push to the line, and overtook the Aussie convincingly with about 100 meters to go. He then provided one of the highlights of the week with his post-race interview with Jens.
 :D

It needs to be posted as soon as it's available. He barely seemed aware of what he had just done, besides the fact that, as a Brit, he's "never really raced a big climb," and started the day with "no plan at all." It was also the 26-year-old's first pro win, but he appeared completely unfazed by that.
 :P

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events