collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13499
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Santos Tour Down Under
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:27 »
Santos Tour Down Under

January 21st to 26th

Apparently not affected by the bushfires, cycling's World Tour season starts around Adelaide in a couple of days, and as usual, there will also be the Down Under Classic, People’s Choice Classic, Schwalbe Classic the Sunday before the race:

Initially there were some plans to replace the criterion by a proper race on dirt roads, but I never heard about it again.

Also the race itself more or less follows the usual pattern. The Paracombe hill top finish is back after a three-year break though:

Stage 1: Tanunda - Tanunda

Stage 2: Woodside - Stirling

Stage 3: Unley - Paracombe

Stage 4: Norwood - Murray Bridge

Stage 5: Glenelg - Victor Harbor

Stage 6: Mclaren Vale - Willunga Hill

So also the contenders for the win should be more or less the same as usual, with #trek Richie Porte and #mitchelton Daryl Impey usually going strong right from the start. Last year #ccc Paddy Bevin looked very strong until he crashed out though, so maybe he will be able to challenge them. Also guys like #ineos Dennis, #uae Ulissi, #bora McCarthy or #astana Sanchez are usually up the order.

On paper, the punchy upfill finishes should also suit #mitchelton Simon Yates to the bone, but he has never shown much in early season so far.

The race will be broadcasted live, and the channels can be found on the race website
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Santos Tour Down Under
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:34 »
    Last year #ccc Paddy Bevin looked very strong until he crashed out though, so maybe he will be able to challenge them.

or not

https://twitter.com/CCCProTeam/status/1217223271868813312
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8443
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 18:01 »
    https://twitter.com/tourdownunder/status/1191246413813825537

The number of times Cancellara rode the TDU?

Zero. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3868
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 18:35 »

The race will be broadcasted live, and the channels can be found on the race website

It appears that each stage will be broadcast at 9:00 pm EST each day for me (7:00 pm for Stage 6), but only as part of the subscription-based NBC Sports GOLD package. So even though the time is good, I'll likely be sitting this one out.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3247
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 19:53 »
    It appears that each stage will be broadcast at 9:00 pm EST each day for me (7:00 pm for Stage 6), but only as part of the subscription-based NBC Sports GOLD package. So even though the time is good, I'll likely be sitting this one out.

Not to worry. GCN Racing on YouTube are showing everything, including the crit, live in English. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu7phdCr-raU7OaJfEpHZww
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 22:17 »
    Not to worry. GCN Racing on YouTube are showing everything, including the crit, live in English. ;)

Hmm. I'll have to see if that's geo-restricted in the States or not. Sometimes they are when NBC is covering it as well.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 975
    « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:38 »
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 20:23 »
    if anyone wants to watch the crit tomorrow: is starts at 9:15cet (8:15am British time) and should be live on GCN's Youtube channel as well
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 13:11 »
    #soudal Caleb Ewan was dangling at the back for the first half of the race, but in the end, he still won with ease - for the 4th time in 5 years

A couple of days ago he said that he took it a bit easier this winter, just arrived in Australia on Thursday instead of doing the Bay crits and so on - but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe it will once the stages get longer in the TDU though.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 13:25 »
    I guess this was probably on at 3:00 am (EST) for me then? Yeah, so that wasn't going to happen.

I think Ewan is my favorite sprinter from the current crop though. Been a fan of his style since first seeing him emerge at the TDU, whenever that was.

A human bullet on a bike. He reminds a bit of one of these guys:

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 13:54 »
    This looks like the slowest sprint finish ever. :slow

https://twitter.com/Lotto_Soudal/status/1218825771772452865

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1822
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 14:01 »
    Probably because he’d smoked 47 fags before the race.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 10:10 »
    :hitch

in the end, the result from the crit wasn't worth much

#mitchelton Impey picked up 3 bonus seconds earlier on. Also #cofidis Haas (3rd) and #sunweb Rob Power (4th) went for it, which may underline their GC ambitions.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 02:27 »

In English, perhaps. But not "American"? I don't see anything on that channel even resembling a live feed, even though the race is underway at the moment. So I wonder if the mere option is geo-blocked for me?

**** Edit ****
    Hola proxy extension for Chrome ftw!
    For some reason I had forgotten about that option. Worked like a charm, though.  :cool

I was able to get the direct Aussie feed from the official race site, or the U.K. stream from GCN, which seemed to be slightly ahead of the Aussie feed, and with far fewer commercials. I haven't watched racing at this hour in quite some time. It's nice.

And with another spectacular sprint win from Caleb Ewan, it turned out to be a win-win-win for me. 
    :)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:22 by Drummer Boy »

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 08:13 »
    yeah, he seems to be in better shape than what he claimed to be in - although he benefited quite a bit from Meyer just being to slow to do a leadout. Usually you don't win from 7th in Stirling

Somehow half the field crashed out with 2k to go and Bardet lost ~2 1/2 minutes after a mechanical.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07 »
    what came accross Liggett's mind to throw in a "George Bennett is gonna win this stage, I think" with 100m to go, by the way? :D

https://youtu.be/GX2UZ8xyaus?t=5259
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7716
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 11:09 »
    what came accross Liggett's mind to throw in a "George Bennett is gonna win this stage, I think" with 100m to go, by the way? :D

https://youtu.be/GX2UZ8xyaus?t=5259
    Hey, at least George beat stage 1 winner Sam. So, there.
    He won the battle of the Bennetts! :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 11:56 »
    as Leadbelly mentioned in the Cycling Academy thread, #israel Ben Hermans had to abandon the race. With #bahrain Rafa Valls another potential GC contender is out as well with a nondisplaced sacral fracture while #mitchelton Simon Yates is suffers from a knee injury. Also #jumbo Chris Harper and #ntt Ryan Gibbons were among those who came down
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 13:41 »
    Caleb came out of seemingly nowhere in that sprint. Even in the overheard replay, he entered the frame so late I couldn't even see where he started his afterburners. Crazy.

If putting up with Liggett and Jens is the price I have to pay to get McEwen, then it's one I'm willing to pay...for the moment. Robbie is so good, especially for a sprint stage. I'm still baffled by the slo-mo breakdown he did for the immediate recap. I've no idea how he can spot so many riders, so accurately, from the overhead shot.

I suppose much of it is knowing who was near the front for the final few K, especially after the chaos of the crash. Then just spotting team kits and making educated deductions as to who's representing in the final few hundred meters? There was a lot of head swiveling in the peloton after the crash which created a lot of visual uncertainty. But Robbie's recap was like that of something done well after the fact, with all the details sorted out, and not something done in the same breath as the finish itself.

I dunno. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of it, and it's not so much to expect from a seasoned pro. Impressive nonetheless.

I have to admit, though, with snow on the ground here, and temps well below freezing, it's slightly comforting in the late evening hours to watch cycling in the sun. It still feels weird in January, and I prefer a bit longer of a visual off-season, if for no other reason than to build more anticipation before the Spring Classics, but a couple of hours of easy entertainment isn't a bad thing.

Come join us in the chat, you slackers!  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 17:42 »
    The hemispheres were well represented in the chat last night.  :)

Richie Porte showing himself to be in good, early-season form.

Strange to see the peloton race by burned-out homes and such.

Btw, the GCN Youtube feed is, as it turns out, commercial-free.  :cool

But what the heck is going on with Jens Voigt? He sounded terrible.

He's either:

A) Fighting off a very bad cold/flu.
    B) Heavily medicated as a result of the above.
    C) Suffering from some of sort concussion related issues.
    D) Drunk.

I could barely understand him the last couple of days. At first I thought his English had simply gotten worse, as maybe he'd just been out of practice? (I've no idea where he spends his downtime). But as the broadcast went on, it became apparent that there are some other issues in play. Not sure what's going on there.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 00:36 »
    It worked!  :P

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 13:08 »
    Long, flat and straight (in spite of the stage profile) is no way to go through life.  :zzz2

Wheels touched here and there; some pavement was met; the supposed cross-winds never really developed enough to create echelons. Happy to relegate this one to history.

Caleb, however, put on another clinic.  :cool
    The recaps I've seen so far don't properly show the full sprint development. Ewan was at least eight back heading into that final turn, but continued to position himself masterfully behind, and around, one rider after another. Not only did his display his signature turbo-burst, but his race IQ is exceptional as well.

A few kilometers out it appeared that he had been bumped off the road onto the gravel shoulder. It was never made clear if that was a teammate of his or not, but if he did recover from that, then all the more impressive.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 14:10 by Drummer Boy »

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 15:37 »
    tomorrow could offer a bit more action than "just" a mass sprint, with the only occasionally used Kerby Hill featured on the stage again with ~20k to go:

Exactly the same finish was last was used in 2016, and back then, most of the (really) fast men were dropped on the climb and Simon Gerrans won from a group of ~70

Same as in in 2009, when the winner came from a group of ~50

I guess particularly #mitchelton Mitchelton Scott will try to push hard on the climb, drop the sprinters and secure some more bonus seconds to get Impey in the lead before the final day.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 13:22 »
    After some early, unexpected excitement, with some aggressive riding from Rohan Dennis to animate things a bit, in the end, it was just a sprint stage with sprinters sprinting, although with a fresh face crossing the line first.

What impressed me the most was the closing speed of Sam Bennett who ended up in third. I still can't see what held him up, but he closed on the two leaders with ridiculous ferocity. Was he going twice as fast as them in the final few meters? Absolutely scorching it, but with too much of a deficit to make up.

Is this Bjarne Riis' first win since his return?

Edit: It appears so.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 13:41 »
    in the end, it was just a sprint stage with sprinters sprinting

well, yeah, actually the peloton was down to ~55 riders in the end - but this time, almost all sprinters still managed to be part of it. :dizzy

I guess Nizzolo still benefitted from being one of the better climbers among the sprinters though, and had to waste less energies underway. Usually you wouldn't expect him to beat all those other guys in a flat sprint.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 04:31 »
    I may as well pen some final thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind.

I'd have thought you were crazy had it been suggested that I'd end up watching every stage of this race, but life is full of silly little surprises.
     :D

The time of day (evening) ended up working out perfectly for me this week, and thanks to Hola and GCN I was able to get quite good coverage of the event for free.

Some beautiful scenery, world class sprint victories, and fun in the live chat with FtP and AG. What's not to love about that?

As the final day unfolded, an ambitious break of 26 riders, made up from 18 different teams, were threatening to shake things up with a four minute gap that held for quite some time. The sickly Jens Voigt was certain of their chances for victory, so that alone probably sealed their fate.  *usa Joey Rosskopf  #ccc dared to dream among them, as he held the virtual lead for a considerable portion of the race. But in the end...well, you know.

Daryl Impey faded quickly once Willunga imposed a new terrain, and Richie Porte wasted no time executing one of the most predictable plans of the season. Porte looked strong and confident, as he had all week. The surprise of the day was the stage win by baby-faced  *uk Matthew Holmes  #lotto. He jumped away with Porte on the final push to the line, and overtook the Aussie convincingly with about 100 meters to go. He then provided one of the highlights of the week with his post-race interview with Jens.
     :D

It needs to be posted as soon as it's available. He barely seemed aware of what he had just done, besides the fact that, as a Brit, he's "never really raced a big climb," and started the day with "no plan at all." It was also the 26-year-old's first pro win, but he appeared completely unfazed by that.
     :P

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7716
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 09:03 »
    It needs to be posted as soon as it's available. He barely seemed aware of what he had just done, besides the fact that, as a Brit, he's "never really raced a big climb," and started the day with "no plan at all." It was also the 26-year-old's first pro win, but he appeared completely unfazed by that.
     :P
    Highlights video, including that interview from 5:26:

As I just wrote in the game thread, I picked Holmes for my Emerging Riders team because he was eligible at just under 200 lifetime points and had been signed by Lotto Soudal - who did the same with Calle Hagen last year, and he ended up in the Vuelta top-10.
    As he is a similar rider with a similar career trajectory, I hoped Holmes could get some results, but not this big and this quickly.

All aboard the hype train! :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 13:59 »
    All aboard the hype train! :D

Here's the full version of what I remember.  :)

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08 »
    the "Torquay Race" will be streamed live on the CEGORR websitetomorrow morning, from something around ~7:30 to 11 cet.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts