collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7709
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Team Sponsorship 20/21
« on: January 29, 2020, 19:50 »
As an aside, Baugnies paints a shambolic picture of Wanty in that interview - not knowing what races were on their calendar until a week beforehand.
I get a picture of Wanty as a very old-school team. After all, the team manager is Hilaire Van der Schueren - the Belgian version of Gianni Savio.

The team management will have known which races they do well in advance.[1]
But in their mind there's no need to tell the riders such details, or allocate riders to races more than a week before; that would just be extra work for the mugwumps. The DS phones up whoever he wants to take when planning the travel, and either they stand at the ready, or they don't get another offer come contract time. :shh

In those old-school minds, riders have to be ready to be thrown into a Grand Tour at five minutes' notice. It didn't hurt Thevenet in the 1970s, why should it bother anyone today?
:P
 1. or the team is more shambolic than even I can imagine; and this is cycling we're talking about
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean