collapse

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3107
  • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
About the 2020 Spring Classics CQ game
« on: February 05, 2020, 00:35 »
Beginning to think about the Spring Classics game: by all means start thinking about your selection, but don't treat this as the post to launch the game or invite submissions yet.

The squad size (12), budget (3000 points) and relevant price list (CQ points as of 1 January) have been stable for as long as the game has existed, and I see no pressing reason to change them.

What has changed is the UCI classification, with the former 1.HC races and some of the higher quality 1.1 races are now labelled as 1.Pro (with a slight drop in CQ points: 130, 78, 66 for the top three, rather than 140, 84, 72)  I guess that promotes a few more races into the calendar for the game:

Ardeche Classic

Drome Classic

GP Miguel Indurain

TroBro Leon

Ronde van Drenthe has gone the other way, dropping to 1.1 status, so I would suggest that it be dropped from the series.

We also need to agree the date range:  We have always started from the northern European season launch, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, but 2 weeks before that, we have the first 1.Pro races, Clasica de Almeria and Trofeo Laigueglia.  They are in the spring (at least that far south in Europe), but perhaps thought of as part of the warm up for the season rather than part of the Spring.

And when does the Spring end?  Last year I extended the game a few days beyond the previous Liege-Bastogne-Liege finish to include the Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn - Frankfurt (although it made precious little difference).  Should I do that again, and should we extend even longer to include the promoted from 1.1 GP de Plumelec? (mid May could still be considered spring: the next 1.Pro race is in mid June, which no-one considers Spring)

So, a 48 hour poll:

1) Should we start earlier, with Almeria and Laigueglia, or stick with the Omloop start?

2) Do I include the 4 races promoted from 1.1 to 1.Pro (Ardeche, Drome, Indurain, TroBro) ?

3)  Do we retain the extension to include Frankfurt?

4)  Do we wait until Plumelec, to include everything that might be considered to be Spring?

I am willing to abide by majority vote (I wouldn't offer you the choice if I weren't), but that doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions: I'll post them near the end of the 48 hours.

Whatever is decided, looking forward to launching the game properly once all this is decided.

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1824
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Re: About the 2020 Spring Classics CQ game
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 10:20 »
    1) Should we start earlier, with Almeria and Laigueglia, or stick with the Omloop start?
    No, retain the Omloop start.

2) Do I include the 4 races promoted from 1.1 to 1.Pro (Ardeche, Drome, Indurain, TroBro) ?
    Yes

3)  Do we retain the extension to include Frankfurt?
    Yes

4)  Do we wait until Plumelec, to include everything that might be considered to be Spring?
    Yes
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:33 by Joelsim »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11386
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 19:46 »
    What Joel said
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8514
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 20:07 »
    I'd start with Omloop and finish with LBL. They bookend the classics season for me.

I do remember in previous years you had a rule about races having at least 6 (?) WT teams to be included and in that case Tro Bro Leon and GP Indurain would likely miss out, but it's probably just simpler to include all the 1.Pro events that happen between the start and end of the competition.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 23:06 »
    No
    What Joel said

I'm going to take it that by answering "No" to an either/or question, you are saying no to the first part and, by implication, yes to the second.  If my assumption is wrong, let me know.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 11:33 »
    I'm going to take it that by answering "No" to an either/or question, you are saying no to the first part and, by implication, yes to the second.  If my assumption is wrong, let me know.

Omloop to start was what I meant AC, not earlier.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13541
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 12:56 »
    1) Stick with Omloop
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) No
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 23:42 »
    My own take

No to Almeria and Laigueglia (partly the tradition of Omloop as the starter, partly because I am away that wekend)

Yes to the new 1.Pro races (Hooray: TroBro is in at last, shame Samyn wasn't also promoted, but I prefer there to be a fairly transparent objective inclusion criterion)

Yes to Frankfurt (It is only a few days after LBL, and add to the variety of rider types that might be pickable, and has decent points available)

No to Plumelec, as it requires more than two weeks of suspending the result, and seems unlikely to do much to the scores.

My votes are only worth the same as anyone else's, unless I need to award myself a second deciding vote to resolve a tie.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3276
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:26 »
    My own take

No to Almeria and Laigueglia (partly the tradition of Omloop as the starter, partly because I am away that wekend)

Yes to the new 1.Pro races (Hooray: TroBro is in at last, shame Samyn wasn't also promoted, but I prefer there to be a fairly transparent objective inclusion criterion)

Yes to Frankfurt (It is only a few days after LBL, and add to the variety of rider types that might be pickable, and has decent points available)

No to Plumelec, as it requires more than two weeks of suspending the result, and seems unlikely to do much to the scores.

My votes are only worth the same as anyone else's, unless I need to award myself a second deciding vote to resolve a tie.

Well you can have my vote as well. In with the pros and Frankfurt, but stick with Omloop and no to Plumelec.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:43 »
    Luckily I had done a vote count before CN forum went into overnight collapse.

Three of the issues were resolved overwhelmingly: no to Almeria/Laigueglia, and to Plumelec, yes to Ardeche/Drome/Indurain/TroBro.  The Frankfurt decision was much closer, and given what has happened at CN forum (95% of threads disappeared) I will postpone the decision on that for 24 hours.

But at least know that the game is not starting on 16th Feb, so you have 2 extra weeks to think about your picks (and I can go for my weekend in Scotland without feeling I have left contestants waiting).
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 19:07 »
    I've just done mine.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09 »
    I haven't even begun to think about mine, so the launch message is still at least a few days off...

I decided to give an extra day for votes because CN Forum went down for a while, but forgot to tell that forum of it.  The Frankfurt vote ended up 5-5 (with a great difference in enthusiasm for it between the two forums), so I get a second and casting vote, and it is in. 

So the 24 races will be:
    29-Feb   Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite      1.UWT3
    29-Feb   Faun-Ardèche Classic      1.Pro
    01-Mar   Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne      1.Pro
    01-Mar   Royal Bernard Drome Classic      1.Pro
    07-Mar   Strade Bianche      1.UWT3
    08-Mar   GP Industria & Artigianato      1.Pro
    18-Mar   Danilith Nokere Koerse      1.Pro
    19-Mar   Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut      1.Pro
    20-Mar   Bredene Koksijde Classic      1.Pro
    21-Mar   Milano-Sanremo      1.UWT1
    25-Mar   AG Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne      1.UWT3
    27-Mar   E3 BinckBank Classic      1.UWT2
    29-Mar   Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields      1.UWT2
    01-Apr   Dwars door Vlaanderen - A travers la Flandre      1.UWT3
    04-Apr   Gran Premio Miguel Indurain      1.Pro
    05-Apr   Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandres      1.UWT1
    08-Apr   Scheldeprijs      1.Pro
    12-Apr   Paris-Roubaix      1.UWT1
    15-Apr   De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne      1.Pro
    19-Apr   Amstel Gold Race      1.UWT2
    19-Apr   Tro-Bro Léon      1.Pro
    22-Apr   La Flèche Wallonne      1.UWT2
    26-Apr   Liège-Bastogne-Liège      1.UWT1
    01-May   Eschborn-Frankfurt      1.UWT3

and let's say 11:00 CET on 29 Feb as the closing time for entries.

That's pretty much the info that will be in the OP of the game's thread, so I'll start thinking about my team, and post the thread when my team is ready to pass on to someone else.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 13:05 by Armchair Cyclist »

Recent Posts

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 07:04]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by AG
    [Today at 07:02]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:30]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by Mellow Velo
    [August 07, 2020, 22:19]

Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2020 by LukasCPH