collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13424
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Ciclismo Cup 2020 (Trofeo Laigueglia)
« on: February 15, 2020, 17:04 »
Ciclismo Cup 2020

Apart from some minor date changes (AIR is one month earlier, some of the September races swept places), this year's Ciclismo Cup will be decided on a similar calendar of races as last year:

Also the rules seem still to about as complicated as usual.

Coverage for all races (some live, some highlights only) will still be distributed by PMG sport (both online, as well as sold to Rai and/or Eurosport), but it may be geo-restricted.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Ciclismo Cup 2020 (Trofeo Laigueglia)
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 17:19 »
    Trofeo Laigueglia

Sunday, February 16th

First race is Trofeo Laigueglia tomorrow, on the same parcours as usual, so it should be an entertaining race.

For 1.Pro level, the start list looks a but poor though, with only 2 WT teams.

Thereby they missed the UCI Pro Series mimimum standards (of 3 WT teams and at least 11 WT and/or PCT teams in total), as far as I can see.

Still, some good guys are around of course. For example last year's winner #gazprom Velasco, his team mate #gazprom Canola, #ag2r Vendrame, #teamit Ciccone, #delko Finetto, # #vinizabu Visconti, #arkea Rosa, #amore Tizza and so on
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:02 »
    looks like the race itself had a (fairly poor quality, but still) stream up on Youtube

that Hailu dude (or Biniam? Biniyam? Ghirmay? Girmaye? Grmaye? - I'll just stick with Hailu, I guess) seems to be even stronger than expected... definitely not your typical kind of "sprinter", by the look of it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7692
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:43 »
    that Hailu dude (or Biniam? Biniyam? Ghirmay? Girmaye? Grmaye? - I'll just stick with Hailu, I guess) seems to be even stronger than expected... definitely not your typical kind of "sprinter", by the look of it.
    Eritrean & Ethiopian names don't work like we're used to:
    His own given name is Biniyam[1]. That is followed by his father's name, Ghirmay[2], and further by his father's father's name, Hailu[3]. In theory, the list could go on.

On 6 February 2000, Ghirmay, son of Hailu, had a son, and he named that son Biniyam. Said Biniyam is now a rather successful cyclist - but, like people from e.g. Iceland, he doesn't have a family name as such.

The captain of Iceland's football national team is known to every Icelander as "Aron". "Gunnarsson" is only ever used if necessary to distinguish from other Arons. I imagine that it's similar in Eritrea/Ethiopia; this rider would call himself Biniyam first and foremost.

If we have to adhere to the European custom of family names, Ghirmay is a far better 'substitute' than Hailu. But I imagine that whoever fills out forms for UCI licences in the Eritrean cycling federation doesn't care about all of that and simply takes the names as they are, putting "Biniyam Ghirmay" in the first field (because that's the 'important' part, right?), and "Hailu" in the second field ... not realising that it's the second field that is for the 'surname'.

The same way that other *er riders are called Daniel Teklehaimanot or Natnael Berhane and not Daniel Girmazion or Natnael Teweldemedhin, this one should be called Biniyam Ghirmay and not Biniyam Hailu.
     1. or Binyam, or Biniam
     2.  or Girmay, Grmay, Grmaye, Ghirmaye, Girmaye ...
     3. apparently there's only one transliteration into Latin for this.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 13:31 »
    #amore Marco Tizza claims he would have been the fastest from that front group (of him, Ciccone, Rosa and Ghirmay) by the way - so I guess he has never seen Ghirmay sprint ;)

https://www.lagazzettadilucca.it/sport/2020/03/marco-tizza-continua-ad-allenarsi-per-non-spegnere-i-suoi-sogni-e-quelli-di-amore-and-vita-prodir/
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.