collapse

t-72

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3941
Ok, we have had a few small discussions regarding talented riders, and their development and so on, and one of the things that last year impressed me a lot was that team  dsm #dsm (or Sunweb as it was know before) had very good results with relatively inexperienced riders. In many case they seemed to develop very well.

For the Norwegians on the team, it has been more of a mixed bag. Andreas Leknessund's development seems to have flattened out very quickly after joining the team, and the rider I consider an equally great talent, is now leaving the team after 3 years with, if anything, slow steady progress. She came in 10th at the Bergen worlds road race, but that was when she was riding for #hitec. With #dsm nothing much really happened.

Let's see if Uno-x handles the scenario of a formerly talented rider returning to the team after a stunt with a WorldTour Team, shall we? I am looking forward to seeing her ride as capain and sprinter again. I might have to go watch the LTON ..

KJØR PÅ, SUSANNE, KOM IGJEN!

#dsm Susanne Andersen --> #unox

https://twitter.com/UnoXteam/status/1425366323777970180
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7941
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    *no Susanne Andersen is nearing the end of her contract with #sun already - if she signs an extension that is only for one year, that will be a big indicator she's going to wear #unox after that.
    It was the easiest transfer to predict, and it has come to pass.

(come to think of it, I believe she signed a three-year deal, 2019-2021, so never extended with #dsm)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Classics Winner
    Ahem... (a polar bear stumbles out of his den) is it cycling season yet?  :S
    4 more weeks  :angry get it on!

A week back or so, I commented on the new uno-x jerseys in an online discussion with (amongst others) Lukas. The jersey looks like this #unox (spot the difference?) and I am not joking, there is one small but big difference.
    On the front there is a listing of a few sponsors, and one of the recent additions is a big name: Reitan Trading. It is known that this is the mother company of Uno-x (in one way or another, not sure about details concerning ownership). This is important because the least impressive thing about Uno-x is their business future - the glory days of their old business model, retail of diesel and gasoline, and just that, is already in the past in Norway.  Only 1 in 5 cars sold in central areas of Norway need gasoline or diesel, the rest are electric powered.

Reitan Trading, as a mothership, has several other businesses - including one major groceries chain - which can be alternative brands for the cycling team to promote. Their name on the shirt indicates a longer term intention to maintain the cycling team, which as of today is considered to be more or less self-financing as a part of Uno-x, with most value added through participation in the home countries' UCI races (Norway/Denmark).
    Reitan Trading's brands can probably sell *anything* using the cycling team as an advertising board, and another of their brands may thus be the plan b if problems with the energy transition should arise. I wouldn't find that a big surprise, as driving along Norway's main artery (the E6 road is the spine of the road network in the country) several companies now provide "new gas" stations (in other words - charging stations) and the uno-x stations look a bit deserted.
    It doesn't make sense selling "just cheap power" mirroring the "just cheap fuel" slogan of Uno-x, because charging takes longer time than refuelding diesel and thus comes with ample opportunitites to sell stuff like coffee, buns, newspapers, sausages and ice cream to everyone in the car as value adding services.  Exactly the opposite of the "Uno-x way" to sell fuel: just cheap fuel (at unmanned stations).  The company needs to do something else in the foreseeable future, as that way of doing business will definetly fade away, slow at first and then fast. I think the "fast stage" isn't far away, not in Norway at least.

Hopefully the cycling team can still be on the road after the next chapter in the energy transition saga.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7941
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The jersey looks like this #unox (spot the difference?) and I am not joking, there is one small but big difference.
    And that's the 2022 kit smiley already! :cool

Yes, having Reitan Retail on there suggests that, now they're close to the top levels, it's not only the Uno-X rowboat doing the pulling, but the Reitan mothership is becoming interested as well. And looking at Reitan's brands, that is a good thing as it covers more business areas.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9496
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Any idea of THJ's TT-ing t-72? There's not exactly much data to base an opinion on other than one prologue and a pan flat TT at the Baby Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    I think he´s about just as bad as Thibaut Pinot  :D

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9496
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    He didn't do badly tbh and I'm presuming Dare bikes aren't in the same league as Pinarello and Specialized etc.

However in this day and age (the Slovenian era), if you want to compete at the really top level, then being just "not bad" at TTing won't cut the mustard. So I recommend a lot more TT practice over the coming couple of years if that's the road he and the team want to go down.

There were lots of plus points for him and the team from the race though. Stages 2-4 went really well for him - he's quite punchy.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    There are 2 Halland and 1 Haaland (picked thw wrong sport as a kid, bad parental influence, may be convinced and converted later like Remco and Greg was).

I have listened to a very long interview with them while driving my car on a long distance drive and back this weekend. The difference in results between Anders and Tobias is rather coincidental and to some degree then amplified by the role they have been assigned. Their physical level is almost identical with some individual form curve variations such that are caused by random crashes, injuries and illnesses that are likely to even out over the years. Tobias actually said Anders was a bit earlier and tougher in making tactical decisions such as needed when racing in the peloton but he says he has improved himself aswell now. 

The TT experience is really limited and I dare think the bike isn't really to blame for the performance. You could ask #dsm Andreas Leknessund how he rates the Dare bike compared to the bike he ?occasionally would be allowed to borrow? with team DSM last year. With the Dare bike he won the national and european U 23 championship, and last year he lost the national championship to that other Tobias (now #jumbo  #champno Mr Foss), who also happened to be quite fast on a Dare bike when he won the Avenir. One Tobias Avenir fast on the TT and diesel in the mountains, the other Tobias Avenir a more punchy, explosive kind of climber with lots of ahem..potential? to improve the TT. ) The most impressive stage wins by Tobias Halland Johannesen has been on uphill finishes with limited time differences, so perhaps he's more the kind of rider that races up the Huy rather than leaving Pogi behind on the long climbs? He won the tour de L'Avenir by struggling and surviving rather than dominating the last stage, but left the others behind on the shorter track-stand-to-finish-line-dash last climb the day before.   

I predict that the TT victories will be few and far between for the twins, and put my money on prince Tobias Avenir I to take care of that.
  • ReplyReply

•