collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3422
OK - since this forum has featured discussion thread for the inevitable Norwegian invasion into the higher ranked classes, I thing we should also have one for this year - when what we foresaw as inevitable has finally happened, and it is as official as this:

UNO-X #unox PRO TEAM registration at UCI

At the time of writing this is already old news and the talk on the town is the sensation of Torstein Træen finishing in 9th position as best Euro rider in Tour of Colombia, between Sergio Henao and Esteban Chaves on the GC classification. Note that he also scored a top 5th one of the uphill stages. Definetly the first major surprise of this season. There is likely to be more to follow (not only from #unox) but right now there's a wave of suspicion and more or less doping accusations thrown at Træen, especially from Danish journalists.
Træen is one of a handful Norwegian riders that may have been somewhat kept off the charts by the peculiar Norwegian domestic races in the Norgescup. In the land of the mountain monkeys (to use the danish nickname) there has been no regular races featuring long climbs until most recent years. The introduction of the Tour te Fjells (Norwegian pun better translated as "tour up the mountain"), a - (guess who, yes - them) - Uno-X sponsored race in the Hallingdal Valley area has led to climbers actually finding a way up in Norwegian cycling and Træen has a 2nd place overall from this race.

The most famous 'climbing' race in Norway - Sundvolden GP, features an uphill finish which is actually too short to get the true endurance climbers going which is why mountain monkey Carl Fredrik Hagen kept loosing the race to some Danish guy.
#lotto Hagen came out of "nowhere" in similar fashion last year when he dropped Alaphilippe on the final climb in the last stage of Tour de Romandie, and later finished in 10th GC in the Vuelta. So when yet another Norwegian pops out of a very determined team effort to develop Norwegian climbers - which last year also landed the Tour de L'Avenir, I am sorry *dk , it is disappointing your cycling journalists can do no better than say it is totally out of the blue, because there is a systematic development behind this - even if the individual rider here hasn't been very visible before. It will probably happen again, as Træen is not the only rider in #unox development pipeline with climbing abilities.

I had to get this little hint of bitterness out of the sweet success cake from Colombia, but already this week #unox is gearing up a different squad for a more important race for them: the Algarve. It will be live on 2 TV channels here, that has in the last few years only happened for the Tour and the Vuelta,  the Ronde van Vlaanderen , the Paris-Roubaix and the Liege-Bastogne-Liege - so the #unox team finally seems to lift media attention to cycling again, it has been on a steady decline since the Bergen worlds in 2017.   

From a podcast featuring an interview with Ass. Sports Director Stig Kristiansen I understand that different racers have different objectives, but the squad has an overall intention of riding to get noticed:
https://twitter.com/UnoXteam/status/1229290920878780417
  • Daniel Hoelgaard to participate in the sprint finishes. He will be supported by Erik Nordsæter Resell and Anders Skaarseth.
  • Andreas Leknessund will target the ITT stage.
  • Markus Hoelgaard and Torjus Sleen:  the hilly stages.
  • Kristian Kulset is the full time designated helper.
The Algarve is a race that will be raced somewhat harder than Colombia but this is also the A-squad of #unox.
Or did Træen just flip the tables there?
Can't wait to see how this unfolds!

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:03 by LukasCPH »

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1807
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Looking forward to seeing Leknessund, and Larsen once he’s racing again.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3747
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    there's a wave of suspicion and more or less doping accusations thrown at Træen, especially from Danish journalists

I must've missed the memo on this one, and a brief search in The Darkside didn't yield anything. :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8372
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Dare Bikes are now officially Uno-X's devo team.

They can't swap riders around like I-SUN are doing with their own version. That's restricted to WT teams and their feeder CT teams. Hopefully we'll see a couple with stagiaire roles later in the season. Brynsrud for example.

https://firstcycling.com/team.php?l=19192

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13400
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    They can't swap riders around like I-SUN are doing with their own version. That's restricted to WT teams and their feeder CT teams.

are you sure about that?

for the club riders there may be other limiting factors though, ADAMS and so on
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7689
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    are you sure about that?
    Yeah, ProTeams can do the swapping too. Nothing else would make sense.[1]

for the club riders there may be other limiting factors though, ADAMS and so on
    They can bring them in for .1 and .2 races without ADAMS etc., right? And, knowing the team, they may have the #daredevo riders inserted into ADAMS on their own cost just in case one or several develop well.
     1. But then, this is cycling, so you never know ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13400
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Yeah, ProTeams can do the swapping too. Nothing else would make sense.

seems like there are some more restrictions though, as this UCI document says only "Teams having an asterisk * benefit from the participation rules" - and only those World Tour devo teams on continental level do have one

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/rules-and-regulations/part-ii-road/teams-participation.pdf
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7689
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    seems like there are some more restrictions though, as this UCI document says only "Teams having an asterisk * benefit from the participation rules" - and only those World Tour devo teams on continental level do have one

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/rules-and-regulations/part-ii-road/teams-participation.pdf
    :slow
    I think I just give up and welcome our new (old) Aigle overlords who decide everything in their infinite wisdom.

:S
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1807
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    I'd vote for you as ruleskeeper and maker Lukas.
  • ReplyReply

•