collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3432
2020 downhill technique
« on: February 24, 2020, 19:28 »
In the UAE tour stage 2 (Hatta) there’s this guy from #bora riding in a vert strange way, and he seems to surge a little bit ahead of the peloton every ahead of the peloton every time he does that. Alternatively, the peloton just backs off (expecting a fall to happen anytime). This is just weird!

Is that Dani Oss?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 22:34 by t-72 »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8381
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: 2020 downhill technique
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 20:56 »
    It doesn't look the most comfortable position that's for sure.

Unlikely to be Oss as he isn't on the start list. Selig, all 80kg of him, would be my guess.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:13 »
    Apologies for the picture not loading as it should. I need to look for a new way to share pictures, as imgur seems to have changed the way their site works. :( I made the top post rather quick and dirty from my cell phone while watching the race recorded last night.

Back on topic: he wasn´t just riding on the frame, he kept modifying his hand positioning a lot of the time. The idea seemed to be to position the elbows in front of the body, rather than on the sides. There may be a reduction in surface area exposed to the wind. Howevever, compared to TT bars arm position, it is extremely compressed along the bike. Not only are the arms positioned further back, his ass is also positioned in front of the seat, further forward. The compressed position makes a space problem solved by the splayed arms in front of the torso here.  This is yoga on the bike.

The road surface was excellent and the road was very wide, so boredom, playfulness and low risk could play a part. However the reason for me to post was, this appeared to work, he kept surging ahead of the peloton on modest slopes.

I will try to re-up the picture tonight
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 22:35 »
    (minor bump!)
    top post fixed
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1638
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 13:48 »
    Apologies for the picture not loading as it should. I need to look for a new way to share pictures, as imgur seems to have changed the way their site works. :( I made the top post rather quick and dirty from my cell phone while watching the race recorded last night.

Back on topic: he wasn´t just riding on the frame, he kept modifying his hand positioning a lot of the time. The idea seemed to be to position the elbows in front of the body, rather than on the sides. There may be a reduction in surface area exposed to the wind. Howevever, compared to TT bars arm position, it is extremely compressed along the bike. Not only are the arms positioned further back, his ass is also positioned in front of the seat, further forward. The compressed position makes a space problem solved by the splayed arms in front of the torso here.  This is yoga on the bike.

The road surface was excellent and the road was very wide, so boredom, playfulness and low risk could play a part. However the reason for me to post was, this appeared to work, he kept surging ahead of the peloton on modest slopes.

I will try to re-up the picture tonight
    Yeah, this is a version of the skier's super tuck. Elbows inside the profile to reduce air catch and drag, and body low and compact - same thing. Faster, yeah. It reduces your ability to respond to input stimulus, though, which is the caution. I wouldn't call his elbows in this photo "splayed", as they are compressed towards the centerline of his body. Compare that to the rider immediately behind him - who has HIS arms parallel to the body's centerline. Still very compact, but not AS compact. In a wind tunnel, the guy in front should see lower drag coefficient.

Great catch!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 13:50 »
    It doesn't look the most comfortable position that's for sure.

Unlikely to be Oss as he isn't on the start list. Selig, all 80kg of him, would be my guess.
    80kg! That could help explain why he is surging out front!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 20:19 »
    80kg! That could help explain why he is surging out front!

I can't see the advantage of being so light on the downhill?  :P

(Alpine downhill skiers like not-so-towering Beat Feuz (172 cms) often weigh in at >100kg)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 14:53 »
    I can't see the advantage of being so light on the downhill?  :P

(Alpine downhill skiers like not-so-towering Beat Feuz (172 cms) often weigh in at >100kg)
    HUH? Light??? 80 kgs = 170+ lbs! Not so many riders in the peloton race at that weight! Take Sagan - he's no lightweight - he weighs in at 73 kgs.

A downhill skier who weighs 100 kgs?!?!?!?!??? Hooo-aaa. That is in American FOOTBALL player weight range! That is a BIG dude (or dudette, as the case may be, but I doubt you will find a female athlete in anything except power lifting at that weight. Sarah Robles, American Olympic heavyweight women's medalist, is at 123 kgs. And I would not want to have a bar fight against her.

Wait - are you trolling me?  LOL Have a great day!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 20:43 »
    Wait - are you trolling me?

:lol rather just offering my personal perspective on weight issues, if I can put it that way  :D

All pro cyclists are featherweights!

(but only a few look so skinny it scares me)
  • ReplyReply

•