collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3250
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Le Samyn 2020
« on: March 02, 2020, 18:53 »
Yup, it's once again time for the biggest little Northern classic of them all: Le Samyn.

Eurosport have live coverage tomorrow, of both the men's and women's race, starting at 1pm with the ladies.

A nice little 10 minutes highlights show from last year with Rob Hatch.

And the final 10 kms of the epic 2017 edition.

I can't figure out how to post the new look FirstCycling startlist.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7717
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Le Samyn 2020
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 19:15 »
    I can't figure out how to post the new look FirstCycling startlist.
    You can only post the old-look one for now: :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3469
    « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 22:58 »
    This race is on my favorite small races list at least since  the 2017 edition, featuring horrible weather and a very long mano-a-mano between van Guillaume Keirsbulck and Alex Kirsch. We all like Flanders racing but this Belgian race isn't in Flanders and the cobbles aren't like Flanders.

The main course of the day is this:

It is a very very flatlying collection of rocks in a straight line between some old industiral lots, a farm field and a mine pit. The street of the Beautiful view? Hardly, but it is:  Rue de Belle vue, in Dours, Belgium.
    As usual they will cross it 4 times, and even though it isn't long compared to some of the sectors on the other side of the border, and usually it is in quite good conditions compared to, say, Carrefour de l'Arbre: it almost guarantees carnage.

The parcours this year is about 200 km, so same class as Omloop and K-B-K and considerably shorter than the cobbles nightmare just across the border. There will be more cobbles than last year as the Rue de Vert Pignon, a long section, is back on the list of sectors in the short circuit (x4) again.

Weather forecast:  cold, 5 m/s SW wind, sunny/overcast/rainshowers. Not too bad!

Favorite riders:
    #quickstep (alll)
    #trek Alex Kirsch and Jasper Stuyven
    #total Niki Terpstra
    #ntt Edvald Boasson Hagen

Bambi on ice warning:
    #cajarural caja rural
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 23:09 by t-72, Reason: fixed up the structure a bit »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13500
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:14 »
    here are *be Het Nieuwsblad's star ratings for today:

:*:*:*:*:* Stuyven
    :*:*:*:* Senechal, Terpstra
    :*:*:* Declercq, Boasson Hagen, Dillier
    :*:* Ballerini, Merlier, Kirsch, A. de Gendt
    :* van Goethem, Biermans, Capiot, Noppe, van Gestel

on first sight, this looks more or less accurate to me (although I am not quite sure how Biermans ended up with a star, instead of Gaudin, for example)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:29 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11372
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:34 »
    Number 1 kid is home sick today. Best timing ever :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 08:43 »
    in today's *lu Wort there's an statement from #trek Alex Kirsch (2nd in le Samyn 2017 and 6th in 2018) by the way, who says "I aim for a top result at this race. Here I am the leader of the team, and I want to benefit from that. I love the race, and as a team we want to present ourself as good as in the Omloop on Saturday. We are very motivated."

I guess Stuyven will get his chances as well, but he also may take it a bit more easy then.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3871
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:23 »
    I see that Trumplandia is well represented, as usual.  :S

Well, as the saying goes, Go big or go home!  :D

:*:*:*:*:* Quinn Simmons (18) *usa  #trek

:*:*:*:* Travis McCabe (30) *usa  #israel

As the other saying goes, You go to war with the army you have.   :yuush

You heard it here first!  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3871
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 12:01 »
    Number 1 kid is home sick today. Best timing ever :lol

:o

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11372
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 18:20 »
    Another fun addition.

Was hoping Le Coq was going to win
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3469
    « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 22:35 »
    I only had the chance to watch the last 35 km (~1.5 laps) today. I didn't quite get the conditions - the concrete streets seemed to be dry but some of the worst cobbles were definetly wet. I am referring to the narrow walled street withx2 90° turnx very close to each other, where (then) #ica August Jenssen broke his collarbone last year. Is this an "always wet" street or did the locals just make it more interesting to watch with a water hose, Torrevieja style?
    The clouds looked dark enough to have provided some rain during the day, but there was a few glimpses of sunrays on the final lap.

With mostly dry conditions the final lap isn't as selective as when it is soaking wet and freezing, and a quite large group was hanging on through the last passing of the long Vert Pignon cobbled section. Again, the 200 km classic was decided in a racing style more like the juniors race, with a total of about 999 attacks reeled back in almost immediately. Add to that the intensely curved nature of the parcours, with lots of sharp bends, 90°
    and even more - the finale was definetly dominated by accelrations and braking, accelrations and braking. It was teh kind of race STybar, van Aert and van der Poel would have bossed, but they weren't present. Alex Kirsch was one of those that really tried, but his accelrations don't leave the others in the dust the way can der Poel does. He needs a more tired peloton (which probably means worse weather, in this race.)

It all came down to a small group sprint finish and from the small group 4 riders surged ahead: #seg Dekker, #quickstep Senechal, #wanty de Gent and #israel Hugo Hofstatter. Hofstatter was obviously the man with most left in his legs (#ntt Nizzolo notably so faded he didn't really sprint). Hofstatter had been riding relatively conservatively on the last lap at least and I am very impressed by his sprint. He was simpy much faster than the others. As for belgian classics finishes it reminded me quite a lot about #uae Kristoff in Gent-Wevelgem last year. Hofstatter is obviously developing quite well and he might be a very important tactical addition for #israel alongside Nils Politt in the classics. This team could have a serious business going on soon!

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 22:44 »
    With mostly dry conditions the final lap isn't as selective as when it is soaking wet and freezing, and a quite large group was hanging on through the last passing of the long Vert Pignon cobbled section.

it definitely turned out to be less selective than in past years - but maybe also because Quickstep wasn't as strong as usual?! Most of the times they had someone around to tear the race apart, while this year it was more on Ballerini's and Trek's shoulders, who weren't really able to get enough of a gap.

It all came down to a small group sprint finish and from the small group 4 riders surged ahead: #seg Dekker, #quickstep Senechal, #wanty de Gent and #israel Hugo Hofstatter. Hofstatter was obviously the man with most left in his legs (#ntt Nizzolo notably so faded he didn't really sprint).

a small correction here: the group of 4 consisted of Senechal, Kirsch, de Gendt and Nizzolo, but they were realed back close to the finish by those following behind (including the ultimate winner Hofstetter)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events