collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3775
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
« on: March 12, 2020, 00:09 »
Now that the 2020 cycling season has been definitively impacted by what the World Health Organization has officially designated as a pandemic, it seems we should have a repository of info and updates beyond the shoutbox for this globally-troubling disease that is dominating the 24/7 news cycle.

It is, after all, a...

:o  PANDEMIC! :o

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:03 »
    How did we get here?

Background
    CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China and which has now been detected in more than 100 locations internationally, including in the United States.

The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).

On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern" (PHEIC).

On March 11, 2020 WHO publicly characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic.

Source and Spread of the Virus
    Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV.  All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

Early on, many of the patients at the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China had some link to a large seafood and live animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread. Later, a growing number of patients reportedly did not have exposure to animal markets, indicating person-to-person spread. Person-to-person spread was subsequently reported outside Hubei and in countries outside China.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 01:11 »
    Locations with Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Global Map

As of 12:00 p.m. ET March 11, 2020

--------------------------

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
    Situation Report – 51

Data as reported by national authorities by 10 AM CET 11 March 2020

SITUATION IN NUMBERS
    Total and new cases in last 24 hours.

Globally
    118,326 confirmed (4627 new)
    4,292 deaths (280 new)

China
    80,955 confirmed (31 new)
    3,162 deaths (22 new)

Outside of China
    37,371 confirmed (4596 new)
    1,130 deaths (258 new)
    113 countries/territories/areas (4 new)

WHO RISK ASSESSMENT
    China - Very High
    Regional Level - Very High
    Global Level - Very High

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200311-sitrep-51-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=1ba62e57_4
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:31 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:18 »
    Breaking news:

Wed, March 11, 2020
    9:00 PM EST

President Donald J. Trump just announced a 30-day ban on travel from Europe to the U.S. beginning at midnight this Friday, March 13th.

The ban will not apply to the U.K.

Wow. Did not see this coming.

More news:
    10:00 PM EST

The NBA has just suspended the remainder of the season.
    At least one player has tested positive for the virus.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:10 by Drummer Boy »

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3087
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 07:47 »
    "The ban will not apply to the U.K."

Not false news, but very selective news.  The ban only applies to the Schengen Area, and not to US citizens or those with permanent residence.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3191
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 08:13 »
    "The ban will not apply to the U.K."

Not false news, but very selective news.  The ban only applies to the Schengen Area, and not to US citizens or those with permanent residence.

The media are more intent in attracting attention to their respective outlets than reporting accurately.

Having said that, this move is bound to lead to airlines cancelling huge numbers of flights. They aren't going to run routes at a loss, solely for the benefit of US citizens.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3087
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:19 »
    Precisely: the media are more concerned with attracting the attention of their audiences than true honest presentation of facts, which is why half truths flourish.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4054
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 09:47 »
    yep

having said that - no matter what happens with the actual virus, the economic impact will be pretty severe.

- Travel and Tourism Industries hit very hard, all over
    - Oil and Gas (much less jet fuel required)
    - supply chains and freight/transport will be sorely tested
    - hospitality in many countries with less people wanting to go out anywhere, and even if they want to, not having the money to do so
    - sporting events and other social activities in cities all over the world being cancelled
    - dividends and income from companies will be slashed ... so any retirees, super funds etc hit pretty hard
    - EU could be interesting with Italy already financially struggling and set to be even more so with the whole country shut down

here in Australia the education sector is already very hard hit, with many 'full fee' paying students from China denied entry

It certainly is a challenging time ahead for many countries - and that is without taking into consideration the actual health of the people, or the ability of various health care systems to deal with the amount of sick people requiring hospitalisation.   
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13427
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 09:53 »
    no idea if all information in here are reliable, but I found it was quite an interesting read (despite the sensational headline)

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Especially in regards to the expected ratio of the confirmed/real numbers of cases (likely to be 20-100 times as high). And personally I also wasn't aware of the fact that Wuhan went into full lockdown so early, with 440 confirmed positive cases "only" (in a city with 11 million inhabitants) - so I'm hoping for the best of course, but it's not exactly a good sign for what we can expect over here in Europe
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1809
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 11:03 »
    This whole thing is an absolute disaster. Not only for the cycling world. Cat sitters like me will see income reduced to zero when the inevitable lockdown happens, already getting cancelled bookings left, right and centre. Quite how I’m going to pay my mortgage and bills is anyone’s guess.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 12:03 »
    The ban only applies to the Schengen Area

Huh. That's the first time I've ever come across that term. I had to look it up.

My biggest concern right now is the run on medical and related supplies that's happening, which is sure to lead to more common items being cleared from shelves. I suppose this is really the first global crisis to hit since social media has really taken hold, and it's not a good thing.

Too much panic and too much hysteria, most of which is fueled by a highly irresponsible media. I can't watch any news outlets without being hit with a wave of uncertainty and nervousness. There's just no professional standard in play.

Last night's speech from Trump pretty much encapsulates all of that. Most networks are still focusing their energies on Trump's delivery, his tone, what he did or didn't say, and none of it really has anything to do with anything. Nobody is expecting Trump to come to the rescue, so I don't why the media keeps leaning on that. It's a global issue, the virus is spreading, and it was always going to spread, whether or not the U.S. even existed. Trump's presidency has created so much anxiety for the media over here that they are now unable to even function with any degree of competence themselves. If they worried less about Trump, and more about doing their jobs in a professional manner, we'd all be better off.

When a news anchor comes on the air, is it a pandemic that we're in the middle of, or a "PAN-DEM-IC!"? They just can't help themselves. And it's only making things worse. We live in such reactionary and hyperbolic times, and I'm not encouraged by any of this.

Perhaps this is just a dress-rehearsal of sorts for something even more dire. And maybe, just maybe, they'll get this hyperventilating out of their systems now, and proceed with a bit more sanity for the next major issue that we may encounter. I'm not optimistic, but there is a chance of that. There's just a level of immaturity permeating the press, and it serves nobody well. Added to all of that, of course, is that we're smack in the middle of our election season, so everything becomes more political and even more polarized than it otherwise might. So I only expect the reactions to get worse as this unfolds, unfortunately.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 12:10 »
    It will get more and more panicked DB, as the number of cases rises. Even more so in a nation with a healthcare system like the US I suspect. This is merely the beginning.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 12:19 »
    I think the only thing that will calm things down is when people, especially children, get the virus and then recover successfully. Once people realize that this isn't the Black Plague, some sense of normalcy may begin to return. But we're far from normal at the moment.

It will be interesting to see celebrity reaction as well. Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive in Australia (and it's getting a lot of press), so if they, and other high-profile individuals, come out of this OK, it will do much to reduce the panic and anxiety. But if some well-liked and high-profile celeb were to succumb to the effects of the virus, then that would only amplify people's fears further.

Only time will tell.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 12:26 »
    I think the only thing that will calm things down is when people, especially children, get the virus and then recover successfully. Once people realize that this isn't the Black Plague, some sense of normalcy may begin to return. But we're far from normal at the moment.

It will be interesting to see celebrity reaction as well. Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive in Australia (and it's getting a lot of press), so if they, and other high-profile individuals, come out of this OK, it will do much to reduce the panic and anxiety. But if some well-liked and high-profile celeb were to succumb to the effects of the virus, then that would only amplify people's fears further.

Only time will tell.

The issue isn’t most people’s health, it’s either passing it on to someone who is vulnerable, being off work and not earning money or businesses going tits up. Most people already know that they’re not really at risk from a health perspective, but their parents may be.

From the government’s perspective, it’s about the economy and how the healthcare system will cope.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 13:24 »
    It will get more and more panicked DB, as the number of cases rises. Even more so in a nation with a healthcare system like the US I suspect. This is merely the beginning.

You will never make a journo, Joel. "as the number of cases soars" is the correct terminology.
    I know this cos I just heard it used on the BBC to describe the 600 odd new cases in Spain. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 13:40 »
    As the number of cases explodes, violently and exponentially.

Is that better?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 13:53 »
    As the number of cases explodes, violently and exponentially.

Is that better?

I like it.
    As good as soars but with the metaphorical hint of an exploding nuclear bomb.
    Pass it on to the BBC.

Anyhow, there goes the Classics season.

Nokere Koerse (18 march), Bredene Koksijde Classic (20 march),Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (25 march), E3 BinckBank Classic (27 march) and Gent-Wevelgem (29 march) are all cancelled.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 14:12 »
    Yep, cycling season is over as soon as P-N finishes.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7693
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 15:10 »
    Dutch races cancelled too until end of March: Drentse Acht, Ronde van Drenthe, and Olympia's Tour.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 19:03 »
    The latest on the Giro. Vengi suggests that an alternative date is possible, but doesn't suggest what those dates might be.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-vegni-suggests-an-alternative-date-for-giro-ditalia-is-possible/

He might want to consider ditching the Hungary stages and shortening the race, that be the case.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1719
    « Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 19:55 »
    Nokere Koerse (18 march), Bredene Koksijde Classic (20 march),Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (25 march), E3 BinckBank Classic (27 march) and Gent-Wevelgem (29 march) are all cancelled.

Has it really been decided? Most recent articles I read say it's still under discussion. Football matches will be held "behind closed doors".

Ghent-Wevelgem's organisers want to keep the race and close some areas from the audience like the Ypres Main square where the start is given, Mount Kemmel and the finish area. Hans De Clercq says he will respect the government's decision but he wants his race to be maintained.

https://www.lesoir.be/286447/article/2020-03-12/gand-wevelgem-les-organisateurs-veulent-laisser-la-course-se-derouler-sans
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 21:08 »
    The latest on the Giro. Vengi suggests that an alternative date is possible, but doesn't suggest what those dates might be.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-vegni-suggests-an-alternative-date-for-giro-ditalia-is-possible/

He might want to consider ditching the Hungary stages and shortening the race, that be the case.

May 2021 is the date I expect.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 22:10 »
    May 2021 is the date I expect.

By which time it will be an amateur event.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 23:06 »
    *usa ******* CANCELLED ******** *usa

Everything is getting shut down here in the  U.S.A.

Most public schools are closing for a period of from two weeks to "indefinitely."

Colleges either closing or shifting to online classes only.

MLB baseball, NHL hockey, and NBA basketball all postponing or suspending their seasons.

NCAA "March Madness" college basketball tournament appears to be done.

Disney and other similar destinations closing for a month.

St. Patrick's Day parades in New Haven, Connecticut and Boston, Massachusetts are being cancelled. Those are both huge events with long and storied history. Joining that list will be most, if not all, other major and minor cities including New York, Chicago, Pittsburg, Denver and New Orleans.

Broadway is closing all theater shows for a month.

Public gatherings of more than 250 are being banned here in CT, in New York the limit is 500.

Most music festivals and the like are off, with the one, conspicuous exception being the Burning Man Festival, but that doesn't take place until the first week of September in the Black Rock desert of Nevada. So maybe they're just being optimistic. Last year's attendance was 70,000 people.

So that's an overview of the current state of things in Trumplandia.

*usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 23:15 »
    Are people trying to jump over the wall into Mexico?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 23:18 »
    Are people trying to jump over the wall into Mexico?

:lol

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1719
    « Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 01:16 »
    I was thinking a bit the same when I saw all these Milanese rushing to the station heading Southern Italy, just before the quarantine. Irony ! Perhaps, those Northerners will show less arrogance towards poorer Southerners ...

And now that many Euro races are likely to be cancelled, could it be that some top teams enter some hot country second-tier races. Well perhaps, World Tour/World Series (whatever you call it) are not eligible for that. Just imagine Quick Step racing the Tour of Morocco (9 to 18 April).  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 01:21 »
    This is bonkers.

I just went shopping and it was nuts. Two days ago, things were fine. Now? Shelves are emptying out and there's hardly anything left. Two things are primarily contributing to this, I think.

1) They're scaring the bejeezus out of everyone by warning them to be prepared with a 30-day-supply of goods in case someone in their family becomes infected with the virus because that will necessitate up to four weeks of home quarantine. Which is insane. This is not some airborne version of Ebola. In most areas, someone would still be able to get supplies to them if things became that dire.

2) With all the schools closing, kids will be home and families won't be going out much, if at all. So now they'll need more food and supplies at home. 

It's spinning out of control, though, and it just proves that were not capable of handling a much more serious crisis. Scientists have been warning about Super Bugs and possible pandemics for years, but little was in place to deal with such a scenario. As I've been saying, maybe this is a good dress rehearsal for a more serious crisis. It's hard to wrap one's head around the idea of so many events being cancelled, etc. until it actually happens. Now that we know that it can happen, and what it looks and feels like, it won't be such a shock to the system if it needs to happen again in the next ten to twenty years (much longer than that, and people forget. Plus, you'd have a new generation that wouldn't have any memory of previous events).

Not unlike 9/11 in some ways. Closing all the airports and halting all flights?! That seemed utterly inconceivable prior to that fateful day. But now? If had to happen again for some reason, it would take people about three minutes to wrap their heads around it—if that.

I'm just fortunate that winter has seemingly already come and gone where I am. No brutal winter storms here to compound the difficulties of all this. Other places are having nightmare scenarios though, like Nashille, TN that recently suffered the devastating effects of tornados. Others have had flooding and severe winter storms of their own. But me? We had the most gorgeous fall weather throughout September and October last year, followed by an extremely mild winter that has already yielded to a very early spring. It's just amazing the contrast between different parts of the country.

But let's see what tomorrow brings. Who knows at this point.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4054
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 02:40 »
    Here in Australia there has been toilet paper rations for about 10 days now.   There have been fist fights, brawls, tasers and security guards at supermarkets with people fighting over toilet paper, paper towel, tissues, and all kinds of disinfectant/cleaning supplies.

Hand sanitiser is kept behind the counter, with significantly limited supply.

All toilet paper, wipes, tissues etc are subject to a limit of 1 per customer.

Most supermarkets have also had a run on things like long life milk, flour, pasta, rice etc as well ... though it is still available at most shops.

With the news from Europe of closures everywhere and sporting events being cancelled, I am certain the panic will amp up further over the weekend/next week.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 07:21 »
     This worldwide rush on toilet paper is due to the fact that the media scare mongering has got everyone shi*ting themselves. :D

Edit. Yesterday, all was normal, the event taking place with packed Floridian (old folks) crowds. Today, the Players Championship got cancelled after one round.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:32 by Mellow Velo »