collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3432
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 10:02 »
It makes perfect sense to me that Trump Inc USA state division shuts their borders to travellers from all European countries except UK and Ireland, as that is where Trump Inc Golf resorts have their business. As a sportsfan I appreciated the opportunity watch Champions league fotball on tuesday night, but it was obvious to the rest of us that the British authorities at the time must have been the ones in deepest denial about the problem in Western Europe at least. A football match with tightly packed stands all around the stadium, lots of shouting and cheering, tears and all that, is quite excellent for virus spredning. Enjoy!

Then there is the Paris - Nice .... The peloton and the team´s support are at considerable risk of infection as they can´t avoid spenning plenty of time in close proximity of others and they come from all over the world. The spectators are actually better placed. It is often possible to avoid tightly packed crowds at a cycling race and still get a gimpse of what´s going on, but the mingling zones at start/finish is different. I understand these are shut off for the P-N. Anyway, it could easily be the last race of the WT season, maybe with the  now-possibly-more-prestigeous-Lombardia at the other end.  :(

My personal perspective is I haven´t been at work for a week due to planned vacation. I am now at my family´s cabin up in the mountains, alone - so voluntarily semi-isolated. While on travel Norway basically shut down. Travel to abroad is only exceptionally allowed and inlands travel is also discouraged.   There were tendencies of panic-shopping in the cities yesterday but up here it was all quite at the store, it was kept a bit cleaner than usual, and single-use rubber gloves were provided for all at the entrance. 

Now I need to figure out if the current travel advice will keep me stranded here for a 14 days time  :angel
Current conditions> minus 5 degrees celsius and light snowfall with occasional sun bursts in between the clouds.
I think I will go skiing before checking if there is a P/N stage still rolling today.  :)

On a more serious note, except closer to health services - does anyone see any benefits of going back to the city in this situation? Density of host organisms (ie. people) remains a primary control on how fast any virus will spread, and although this isn´t the outback (it´s a norwegian ski area, quite different from anything in the Alps and Pyrenees, for one thing it doesn´t really depend on toursism as such as it´s mostly family owned and used cabins here, hardly a hotel room). .I haven´t seen many people since I came here so it kinda feels ok to just stay here. My employer has ordered us to stay away from the office and work from home anyway (and this was foreseen: they made us always bring a laptop home in the last 14 days).
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3775
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15 »
    This worldwide rush on toilet paper is...

Unprecedented!   :D

I can't ever in my life, through even the worst winter storms, remember there ever being a toilet paper panic. For that matter, I can't ever remember it even being mentioned as a "must have" product during a time of crisis. Why now all of a sudden? Was this global catastrophe thrust upon the world by Chinese TP manufacturers? WTF is going on?

Bread
    Milk
    Batteries
    Bottled water

Those are the items usually high on the list of emergency supplies. I mean, it's not as if Coronavirus is known to have dysentery-like symptoms. It's just bizarre to me. Of course people need their TP, but when the media states the obvious, it sets off a world-wide shortage due to panic purchases.

What I'll also never understand is how, even in affluent communities, you'd think that nobody ever stocks anything under normal circumstances. Everyone can not suddenly be out every item they might ever need. Same thing goes for the annual winter storm shopping season. How many years must past before it occurs to people to purchase a few necessities ahead of time? Just like when people swarm to buy up snowblowers and shovels. Every friggin' year? Typically most of those things will last more than a few months, so what happened to last year's purchase?

People are dumb, just incredibly dumb. And the media makes the very most of that.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3432
    « Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 10:47 »
    You know, it surprised me to see that capitalism hasn´t advanced further in 2020. As Information on purchases made can travel at the speed of light directly in to the clouds and around the world now, why do we get this «everyone to the stores and buy toilet paper now» side of it...

- and not the «the whole world is crazy about toilet paper, increase the prices 400%» side of it?

In theory that is a perfect market response to the situation, and it would actually make the owners of toilet paper more wealthy while making sure toilet paper is prioritized to only those that really need more toilet paper.

Now go compare with how stock market and trading shares work. Did toilet paper just show what learned about how markets should work fails in a crisis situation? Or was it the toilet paper traders that failed to see this opportunity for increased incomes?

:shh

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 11:03 »
    Did toilet paper just show what learned about how markets should work fails in a crisis situation? Or was it the toilet paper traders that failed to see this opportunity for increased incomes?

1) I think this happened so quickly that all the product would've already been shipped, and outlets would've already paid their usual wholesale prices, so the manufacturers weren't in a position to up their profits.

2) Once the products were in stock, any retailer found to be price-gouging would've been held accountable by the authorities (if not burned to the ground by a mob).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7693
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 11:14 »
    2) Once the products were in stock, any retailer found to be price-gouging would've been held accountable by the authorities (if not burned to the ground by a mob).
    After looting the toilet paper, I presume? Burning the toilet paper would be rather self-defeating. :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1719
    « Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 11:39 »
    Mellow somehow was right. It seems that all sporting events are cancelled/postponed till end of March (including football matches, that at least is for sure).

Moreover, Belgium is now quarantined, almost as much as Italy. PM Sophie Wilmes decided to close schools, shops (but food shops), discotheques (good decision  :D), cafés and restaurants. 153 new infected cases yesterday (Thursday). More deaths are expected today, Friday.  :(

Edit: correction shops are only closed at weekends, which means the measure only apply for Saturday for the majority of them. Stupid idea! Either you close them or you don't.

I was surprised about closing restaurants. People need to eat. I'm working for an online food delivery company. Though restaurants are closed for patrons eating on the spot, home delivery is still tolerated. That means I expect my company to make good profit (people tend to order more when they stay home) but also that my colleagues at our call center are going to be hugely under pressure.  :S (Though nothing compared to nurses in Italian hospitals, of course, we've all seen the picture of that poor Italian nurse exhausted in the newspapers :()

By the way my company planned a teambuilding trip towards Switzerland, Grisons/Graubunden with landing in Zurich. For the moment, I have no news that that trip got cancelled but the virus is spreading rapidly in Switzerland though the Grisons are not the most infected Canton.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 13:12 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01 »
    By the way my company planned a teambuilding trip towards Switzerland, Grisons/Graubunden with landing in Zurich. For the moment, I have no news that that trip got cancelled but the virus is spreading rapidly in Switzerland though the Grisons are not the most infected Canton.
    I think you can assume that this trip will be cancelled eventually. :(

I'm happy I went on a trip to Chur and Graubünden in February, before sh*t hit the fan.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3191
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 14:15 »
    Wales v Scotland 6 Nations match now cancelled too.
    Stupid to leave it until all the Scots were either in Cardiff or on their way, though.

The Masters also cancelled.

Can somebody pass me the whisky bottle? :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 16:02 »
     :S

Mount Everest closed over coronavirus fears

(CNN) — The coronavirus outbreak has reached the top of the world.
    Nepal announced on Friday it is shutting down all expeditions on Mount Everest for the rest of this year's climbing season amid the worsening global pandemic.

The move followed reports from climbers that the Chinese government has shut the Tibet side of the mountain.
    "Expeditions to Mount Everest have been closed with immediate effect. Climbing permits are cancelled till the end of April," Nepal's Tourism Secretary Kedar Bahadur Adhikari said.
    The decision comes at the start of this year's closely watched climbing season, which was already getting underway amid concerns around overcrowding on the Earth's highest peak. Permits to climb Everest cost around $11,000.

Breathing is hampered by the extreme altitudes on the mountain, so an outbreak of the coronavirus -- which often causes respiratory problems -- could have been particularly devastating at an Everest base camp.

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 16:15 »
     At this rate worldwide suicides in the next 3 months could outstrip virus deaths.
    Especially in Belgium where they have closed all the bars. :S :P
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 17:04 by Mellow Velo »

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1809
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 18:40 »
    Is it worth starting a 2021 riders to watch thread?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13427
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 19:25 »
    the amount of available CQ points may need to be adjusted as well ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 500
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 19:55 »

People are dumb, just incredibly dumb.

By the way, if anyone wants a sandwich while we're waiting for it to kick in, I've got loads of sausage rolls as well.

I misheard the instructions and thought we were picnic buying
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #45 on: March 14, 2020, 01:13 »
    Is it worth starting a 2021 riders to watch thread?

Maybe it's already time for a reflective Let's look back: the 2020 season in review thread.

Ah, yes. It seems like just a couple of months ago the Tour Down Under was kicking off. How time flies...

From Richie Porte's winning ride in Australia, all the way to Jasper Stuyven's victory at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, to most of Paris-Nice being ridden—what a year to remember it was.

:snooty

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #46 on: March 14, 2020, 12:07 »
    https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/wetenschappers-erasmus-mc-en-uu-claimen-vondst-antilichaam-tegen-covid-19~ae6b1a87/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Scientists at the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam claim to have found an antibody against Covid-19 which they say can prevent further infection and help detecting the virus.

Here a link in English: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987958v1

I don't know what to think of this as I'm clueless in biology but it seems we may have hope.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13427
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #47 on: March 14, 2020, 14:38 »
    I was thinking a bit the same when I saw all these Milanese rushing to the station heading Southern Italy, just before the quarantine.

...or even worse ;)

https://twitter.com/LaStampa/status/1237786393130070016
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #48 on: March 14, 2020, 23:22 »
    It appears that you Corona-Carriers-of-the-Crown are no longer welcome here either... 
    :P as the Trump administration has extended the travel ban to those coming from the U.K. as well.

:yuush

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 07:44 »
     So, Senor Trump thought it a splendid idea to hold very long, massed gatherings of thousands of people, all over the country. After which they are all allowed go their separate ways to spread the................................er.............................word on how wonderful US airports are to spend a few hours meeting new people. :fp

https://twitter.com/Terrence_STR/status/1239020048041345025
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 11:04 »
    So, Senor Trump thought it a splendid idea to hold very long, massed gatherings of thousands of people, all over the country. After which they are all allowed go their separate ways

Not exactly. The airports may very well be a disaster, but that's got nothing to do with any Trump rallies. No one is flying to or from a Trump rally. Trust me, there's enough support on the ground from the locals in any of the regions where those rallies are held.

O'Hare is one of the busiest hubs in the country on any given day, so if there are logistical setbacks in the system, they'd most likely show up there anyway.

I think it's generally understood that the crowded airports were the result of large numbers of Americans all flying back from Europe, at the same time, while they could.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 13:14 by Drummer Boy »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #51 on: March 15, 2020, 11:08 »
    ...or even worse ;)

Yeah, I saw that too. The Captain leaving the sinking ship first! :D

By the way, I got it wrong. The Tour of Morocco is also cancelled now. https://fr.hespress.com/131552-cyclisme-le-tour-du-maroc-annule-a-cause-du-coronavirus.html
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #52 on: March 15, 2020, 11:41 »
    I went shopping yesterday for a few items, but mostly out of curiosity to observe the state of things.

I couldn't believe what I witnessed, and just how different it was from only two days ago.

The grocery store was practically stripped bare. No produce, no meat and very little dairy. Forget about paper goods or canned items, those were all gone too. Never in my lifetime have I seen anything like it, although I've no idea how most people are planning on storing so many fresh fruits and vegetables. The aisle of frozen goods was also nothing more than a row of empty freezers.

What was interesting, in an odd way, was all the cleaning that was taking place. Shelves that were bare for probably the first time since these stores opened were being hosed down and wiped clean. I really don't think it was an effort to sterilize surfaces to prevent the spread of the virus, rather it was the inescapable revelation of just how disgustingly unclean most of these areas were. Mold and mildew were rampant underneath the now-empty produce shelves,  as well as along the back of anything that used to hold cheese and milk. It was a glimpse that I'm not used to, and one that I probably could've done without.
     :S

The other notable thing—and this was equally true for my experiences a few days ago—was the overall calm of the customers. I didn't sense any panic or concern, or even exhausted distress. Rather, the shared mindset seemed to be something closer to a bemused detachment. As if to say, "Really? This is happening? OK, I'll play along if I must." There was more a resignation to the stupidity of the situation than any sense of apocalyptic doom.

I found that to be encouraging. Also, the weather was decent yesterday, if a bit on the cool side, and that brought out the usual crowds of people to the local walking and bike trail parks. I saw a couple of people oddly wearing face masks (not sure why you think you'd need one while walking in the woods, unless you, yourself, are contagious, in which case you probably shouldn't have left your home in the first place), but most people just carried on like life was normal. There was no exaggerated distancing from one another, although I was surprised to see a high school cross-country team assembling for a run. All the schools are closed for at least two weeks, and getting together to breathe heavily around each other seemed a very odd way to prevent community spread, but whatever.

The center of town only seemed a bit quieter than usual for a Saturday afternoon. Cafes and restaurants were open, the hardware store seemed no more or less busy than it typically might be, and people mostly seemed to be just going about their lives. So unless there's a sudden spike in the death toll, I don't expect this to have much a lasting impact in these parts. But who knows, that could all change in two week's time if hospitals run out of room and the stores aren't able to restock.

But mostly, it's just weird. Really, really weird. The world is shutting down, and I wonder what the long-term effects of that will be.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #53 on: March 15, 2020, 13:07 »
    As I think it about it, this could be providing a workable template for a limited, but strict, quarantining in the future were it required. Now that people are grasping, and becoming accustomed to, the reality of massive international shut downs, and equally strict approach, but on a very local basis, would be much easier for people to accept. 

Thinking in terms of the U.S., if there were an outbreak of something truly terrifying in one state, it would now be more possible than ever to just shut it down. Close everything, no one in or out. Period. What would've seemed inconceivable just a few weeks ago would now be considered quite reasonable if the threat were serious enough. If entire countries can be locked down, then why not just one state in an effort to stop an outbreak in its tracks?

With that in mind, the organizers of the Tokyo Olympics are, as of right now, still forging ahead with all their plans. It would be one helluva thing if the spread of the virus is greatly reduced worldwide, only to flair up again in the wake of the International Games. Time will tell.

Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the Tokyo Olympic Games will go ahead as planned in July, despite coronavirus concerns resulting in the postponement of sporting events.

Abe added the International Olympic Committee (IOC) would have the final decision whether Tokyo 2020 goes ahead.

"We will overcome the spread of the infection and host the Olympics without problem, as planned," Abe said.

So, who is "we"? Are the Japanese in possession of some secret vaccine/antidote that the rest of us are unaware of?
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #54 on: March 15, 2020, 13:09 »
    No, they just have their heads in the sand currently.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #55 on: March 15, 2020, 13:41 »
    Not exactly. The airports may very well be a disaster, but that's got nothing to do with any Trump rallies. No one is flying to or from a Trump rally. Trust me, there's enough support on the ground from the locals in any of the regions where those rallies are held.

O'Hare is one of the busiest hubs in the country on any given day, so if there are logistical setbacks in the system, they'd most likely show up there anyway.

I think it's generally understood that the crowded airports were the result of large numbers of Americans all flying back from Europe, at the same time, while they could.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #56 on: March 15, 2020, 18:02 »
    The grocery store was practically stripped bare. No produce, no meat and very little dairy. Forget about paper goods or canned items, those were all gone too. Never in my lifetime have I seen anything like it, although I've no idea how most people are planning on storing so many fresh fruits and vegetables. The aisle of frozen goods was also nothing more than a row of empty freezers.
    Very different experience from here in Germany. I went shopping on Friday, and while there was a noticeable lack of pasta in the supermarket, there was still some pasta left on the shelves. Plenty of toilet paper as well.

There was no exaggerated distancing from one another, although I was surprised to see a high school cross-country team assembling for a run. All the schools are closed for at least two weeks, and getting together to breathe heavily around each other seemed a very odd way to prevent community spread, but whatever.
    This made me laugh. :lol

With that in mind, the organizers of the Tokyo Olympics are, as of right now, still forging ahead with all their plans. It would be one helluva thing if the spread of the virus is greatly reduced worldwide, only to flair up again in the wake of the International Games. Time will tell.
    Ain't going to happen.

I was supposed to go to the Paralympics this year as press officer with the *de team, and was looking forward to that - but it's not going to happen. Not this year.
    It just isn't.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11285
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 18:49 »
    Wow Italy had a bad last 24 hours

The wife has someone she know, not a mate but used to ride horses with from time to time +ve
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #58 on: March 15, 2020, 19:31 »
    Italy awful, Switzerland too.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #59 on: March 15, 2020, 19:46 »

Yeah, of course. It only occurs to me now that I misinterpreted your original post. By "mass gathering...all over the country" I thought you were referring to his rallies, because there was a lot of flak about that recently. But the crowded airports? Yeah, not that well thought out.
  • ReplyReply

•