collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3861
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2020, 17:50 »
It will be 2022 before the TDF gets back to normal as the Olympics again steals it's 2021 slot.

I was wondering why they're stubbornly adhering to the "Tokyo 2020" moniker, but I suppose the obvious answer is that they've already got tons of promotional and souvenir material already on the shelves, not to mention all the graphics and logos that are already in place.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3446
    « Reply #301 on: March 30, 2020, 22:52 »
    But well, at least Greg remains Olympic Champion for one more year. :win

O Rei da Vista! :win

I am definetly biased as I used to live there, but the Rio Olympics definetly was one of the better races of the last 10 years, worth rewatching in these sports-starved times.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #302 on: March 30, 2020, 23:02 »
    In other sports, the cross country skiing season has come to an end, but without the traditional classics here, but somehow they managed to start a competition as to who could go longer (solo, and strava does the recording).  I think last week the 24 hour world record was at 100 something kilometers and now someone did 571 kilometers albeit over 31 hours, which qualifies as utter madness, considering the resistance is a bit higher than the rolling resistance in cycling this comes close to Milano-Sanremo and back again .
    A lesser-know national level athlete who had the record for a few hours is reported to have suffered from lost eyesight and there are serious people like the national team coach in the media warning that youth athletes shouldn't try this as it is expected to be counterproductive to their development.
    I guess no-one told Aleksander Kristoff about that...very long rides was a part of his training as a teenager.

It has been quite fun to follow this development, there are reports of skiers meeting other skiers in the woods and no-one wanting to say what they were up to as they were trying to sneak the new WR from each other etc...  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #303 on: March 31, 2020, 00:23 »
    But well, at least Greg remains Olympic Champion for one more year. :win

Good catch.
    He might make for an interesting footnote, among others from 2016, as the only athletes to ever hold the same Olympic title for five years!

(To be followed by the next round of Gold medalists who will only hold it for three years.) 
    :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #304 on: March 31, 2020, 00:38 »
    no need to worry anymore

Not so fast!  :P

It turns out that there are legal limits to stupidity. Yes, even in Florida. :fp

(This one will earn double honors by appearing in the "Florida" thread as well.  :D)

Florida Pastor Arrested for Violating Rules Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Florida officials have arrested the pastor of a megachurch after detectives say he held two Sunday services with hundreds of people and violated a safer-at-home order in place to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

According to jail records, Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne turned himself in to authorities Monday afternoon in Hernando County, where he lives. He was charged with unlawful assembly and violation of a public health emergency order. Bail was set at $500, according to the jail's website.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11357
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #305 on: March 31, 2020, 05:42 »
    Just watched a report looking at CoVid-19 from a statistical set. Spain is doubling the death rate faster than Italy did at the same period.

Sweden according to the report should see peak late April early May
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13472
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #306 on: March 31, 2020, 10:38 »
    in Germany the situation is still "calm" at the moment, regarding the health care. We have around ~7000 infected treated in hospitals, ~1500 of those in intensive care (which equals around ~3 patients per hospital, and less than one in ICU) - but it's not what he government or media (unusually closely following the government) makes you believe. A world of fear is created, meaning the majority of people in Germany (55%) now even asks for stronger measurements to be taken.

I don't want to neglect the danger of the virus, which certainly exists, but personally I really, really struggle to put it into perspective, and to be honest, I begin to become more worried what the World may turn into. At the moment moment we (well, some) are still pointing at Orban, who grabbed the first opportunity to turn Hungary into a dictatorship, but on the other hand, basic human rights are heavily violated over here as well, and we are likely about to get a new law which allows the state to expropriate people and force them to give up their free choice of employment, if they have any medical background that could be of use.

It's not so much the economical situation I fear about, but more politically, and also about the society. The Atlantic had an interesting (although very long) piece about it, also having a look at the potential aftermath of this:

After infections begin ebbing, a secondary pandemic of mental-health problems will follow. At a moment of profound dread and uncertainty, people are being cut off from soothing human contact. Hugs, handshakes, and other social rituals are now tinged with danger. People with anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder are struggling. Elderly people, who are already excluded from much of public life, are being asked to distance themselves even further, deepening their loneliness. Asian people are suffering racist insults, fueled by a president who insists on labeling the new coronavirus the “Chinese virus.” Incidents of domestic violence and child abuse are likely to spike as people are forced to stay in unsafe homes. Children, whose bodies are mostly spared by the virus, may endure mental trauma that stays with them into adulthood.

After the pandemic, people who recover from COVID-19 might be shunned and stigmatized, as were survivors of Ebola, SARS, and HIV. Health-care workers will take time to heal: One to two years after SARS hit Toronto, people who dealt with the outbreak were still less productive and more likely to be experiencing burnout and post-traumatic stress. People who went through long bouts of quarantine will carry the scars of their experience. “My colleagues in Wuhan note that some people there now refuse to leave their homes and have developed agoraphobia,” says Steven Taylor of the University of British Columbia, who wrote The Psychology of Pandemics.

As the article points out, also the opposite could happen, but at the moment, I see a very one-dimensional look at things, spreading fear, basically disallowing any alternative look at things, and I am not sure if this is the right way. In the western world, the virus is not something we can fight anymore like Taiwan or Singapore did, but something we need to learn to live with - and I struggle to see the development of strategies to do so.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #307 on: March 31, 2020, 11:01 »
    That Hungaria issue stuck with me as well search. Do not think it will be the last either. Think we will see a few more do the same
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:17 by just some guy »

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3232
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #308 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43 »
     I share your sentiments, Search.

I think the numbers are being used as a scare tactic to enforce this indefinite lockdown. Certainly some of the prediction model numbers for no action are quite scary.
    However I also really struggle to put it into perspective, knowing that already this year, there have been over 3.2 million worldwide deaths from communicable diseases.

I have no doubt we are storing up massive mental-health problems for later in the year, especially if individuals are forced to spend the entire Northern Hemisphere Summer under lockdown.

As for the the state forcing people to give up their free choice of employment, if they have any medical background: my niece, who is a teacher and therefore currently tutoring for home, has already been given a questionnaire to that effect.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:54 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #309 on: March 31, 2020, 12:17 »
    That Hungaria issue stuck with me as well search. Do not it will be the last either. Think we will see a few more do the same

already now, in Thailand or Turkey for example you can be thrown to jail if you say or write something against the government, labelled as ban of "spreading fake news". Of course, those are not (really) democratic countries, but it's still a bit scary.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #310 on: March 31, 2020, 13:29 »
    407 new cases and 34 deaths.

Today's press conference
    Please stay home no Easter travel but no lockdown yet.

But now no visits to old people homes.

Phase 2 testing which is test more 34 000 tests have been done.

I know you have to be at the point of not being able to breathe to get tested.

So those that do are older or risk group only.

5 hospital staff are now in intensive care with CoVid-19 in Stockholm.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 526
    « Reply #311 on: March 31, 2020, 16:11 »

That thing that I never imagined I'd see?
    Rhode Island—the smallest of all the states, and which borders Connecticut just to our east—has recently issued a restriction on travel to their state from anyone coming from New York. The governor of Rhode Island was very firm in her assertion that anyone with New York license plates would be stopped at the major bridges and other significant points of entry. Seeing as New York is such a hotspot to the coronavirus, she is hoping to halt the spread at her border.
    According to that article I posted up a while back on the Spanish Flu in NZ, a similar approach was taken here in one part of the country. All vehicles coming in to an area called Coromandel were stopped and occupants' health was checked. Even the daily resupply boat from Auckland (largest city and a part day steam across to Coromandel) was stopped.

Net result? Coromandel was the only part of NZ that had no flu ... which considering the size of the country is pretty amazing ...

So, yeah, drastic measures ... but if keeping folks out let's the folks within continue in a relatively normal fashion (which I am assuming is happening in RI??) then, to me, that's a good thing ...   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #312 on: March 31, 2020, 16:50 »
     Have to say that I appreciate this thread more than any other on respective bike forums, atm.
    Much more general discussion and from around most of the Globe, too.
    I am finding some days harder than others, having gone from the terrible storms and floods of January and February, straight into this mess. All of which means that two months of pretty much self imposed isolation, immediately followed by this forced isolation.

Now today I have a question, since our government has me scratching my head.
    If a person (presumably elderly) dies at home, nowadays without seeing a doctor, how can they accurately determine whether it was Covid 19 related?
    I ask, because they now intend to add these deaths to the UK's total.
    I can only figure out two ways, both of which seem to me to be a waste of precious resources at a time when the health system is stretched.
    It's just that I sense that our figures are about to get massaged.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #313 on: March 31, 2020, 17:06 »
    I assume autopsies are still happening for home deaths. It will take about 3 minutes for a diagnosis. Just look at the lungs.

No knowledge, but ultrasound is being used to see the 3 stages of lung damage and diagnosis without blood tests. So autopsies should be similar
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #314 on: March 31, 2020, 17:35 »

If a person (presumably elderly) dies at home, nowadays without seeing a doctor, how can they accurately determine whether it was Covid 19 related?

It's just that I sense that our figures are about to get massaged.
    I can't comment on the UK, but do know of other countries where - to use a phrase that a virologist and epidemiologist used - there is no distinction in stats between dying from covid and dying with covid.
    (As a note, one of those folks was from Italy ... and was talking about their stats.)

There is a real lack of good statistical communication almost globally, as far as I can see. And I say communication, because I am sure that the info is out there. I would offer NZ and Singapore as examples of the other extreme - as you can see all case data very clearly on their respective health department websites ...

By way of example of that - and realising that this is currently off point - in Canada, any case which currently falls into the category of "source of infection undefined" (or whatever the exact phrase is) is deemed to be "community transmission". Considering we are just at the end of March break phases when huge tracts of Canada travelled internationally, this classification is worrisome - especially given that it is driving policy ...
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #315 on: March 31, 2020, 17:41 »
    An interesting article from an epidemiologist in NZ ...

The parts that I found interesting were about the relative effectiveness of hand washing, "cough etiquette" and isolation ...

JSG - his comments are perhaps interesting in light of your current experience in Sweden ...?

Will leave comments there and let folks read and form their own opinions either way on what he says ...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120666809/do-the-consequences-of-this-lockdown-really-match-the-threat?fbclid=IwAR1XDF7vKwMTJ_PV1nCx57wKMVGA57qB1-IMX7CVw8Uv-RIL8UIry-3xif4
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #316 on: March 31, 2020, 18:28 »
    An interesting article from an epidemiologist in NZ ...

The parts that I found interesting were about the relative effectiveness of hand washing, "cough etiquette" and isolation ...

JSG - his comments are perhaps interesting in light of your current experience in Sweden ...?

Will leave comments there and let folks read and form their own opinions either way on what he says ...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120666809/do-the-consequences-of-this-lockdown-really-match-the-threat?fbclid=IwAR1XDF7vKwMTJ_PV1nCx57wKMVGA57qB1-IMX7CVw8Uv-RIL8UIry-3xif4

Nice to see him use the Diamond Princess for the same reason as I suggested up-thread and draw the same conclusion.
     Haven't Italy have been attributing all hospital deaths to Covid 19 during this period?
    I think I read that somewhere.....
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #317 on: March 31, 2020, 18:33 »
    It is a weird one Kiwi because obviously you don't want anyone to die, but they do. Sure many die of various reasons.

Sweden has still been hit pretty bad economically 9 % latest unemployment figures and record rates of people being told that they have no job.

Honestly I don't know the answer of what is looking like the best way forward yet. I assume we have to wait until the end of the year to compare deaths from year to year.

CoVid-19 will kill a lot of people I think, maybe just as many will die because they didn't get correct medical care, but better air quality may mean less deaths.

The whole thing is just an odd conversation.

Sweden's policy is how referred to as the reverse Elephant theory.

Older Elephant will circle younger Elephant to protect them. In this case if younger get infected and survive the virus will stop spreading as it can not find new hosts.

There will be casualties what ever you do.

By the way the Government approval rating is going up here so people are backing the plan
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #318 on: March 31, 2020, 18:40 »
    So as you know we at my work go up to the Hospital a lot. So a work colleague was up to see a patient on Thursday, today he went back to follow up only to find the patient has been moved to the CoVid-19 wards
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #319 on: March 31, 2020, 18:41 »
    An interesting article from an epidemiologist in NZ...

well, a bit one-sided though, and interpreting numbers a bit roughly, by the look of it.

Time-series plots of overall deaths in European countries show surprisingly low rates for this time of year, even in heavily affected countries, such as Germany, Spain, France and Italy, even in the over-65 age group. Italy has the most dramatic increase, but no higher than occurred during the same season two years ago, is what he writes, for example.

Flu season is alraedy over though,  and personally I can't find any dot as high as the one from 2020, week 12 in the Italian mortality statistics (yes, the one there in the upper right corner, far above the blue field):

Source: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/caldo/sismg/SISMG_sintesi_2018w11.pdf

Not by much, to be fair - but week 13 (which ended today, and is not in the overall statistics yet) has almost double the amount of counted Corona deaths, and will completely crash that graph.

So as pointed out above, I see lots of things that can be discussed myself, but naming Italy as an example to reduce this to a normal flu is probably the most far-fetched bullsh*t I have read so far.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #320 on: March 31, 2020, 18:46 »
    CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, and brother of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, has just tested positive for COVID-19

"I have been exposed to people in recent days who have subsequently tested positive and I had fevers, chills and shortness of breath," he wrote. "I just hope I didn't give it to the kids and Cristina. That would make me feel worse than this illness!"

Cuomo was most recently at CNN's offices in the Hudson Yards neighborhood of New York City last Friday. He anchored from his home on Monday, and interviewed his brother, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. The two men traded brotherly barbs about the anchorman's basement live shot location.

Cuomo said Tuesday that he is "quarantined in my basement" and will "do my shows from here."

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1245020162878627840
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1737
    « Reply #322 on: March 31, 2020, 20:53 »
    Arrows Frontman Alan Merrill's Death Is Why You Need to Stay Home

According to Alan Merrill’s wife, he was unable to seek treatment while his symptoms were mild, due to overcrowding in hospitals. Once he was finally admitted with severe symptoms, he was forced to wait over 14 hours for a coronavirus test and for someone to bring Merrill to intensive care:

Initially I didn't think I could bear to burden everyone on FB with the announcement of my husband's death. But since it is now out there, I'd like to say something about the awful truth about the treatment of the virus in a respected hospital, in NYC, in this COUNTRY.
    About 2 weeks ago, Alan felt like he was getting a cold and then the flu. I was immediately suspicious, and of course Alan being Alan, he told me I was getting hysterical for no reason. I nonetheless researched about what to do if you get the Cornavirus. Every article I read said that there is no help available unless you have severe symptoms -can't breathe or you chest really hurts. Otherwise the hospital will not admit you or test you for Covid-19. And this was absolutely true.
    There was nothing I could do for Alan except watch him get worse. When he finally couldn't breathe, was so cold he needed piles of blankets on top of him, and couldn't sleep, I called an ambulance. The EMTs told me I wasn't allowed to go with him into the ER, so there was no point in accompanying him. I didn't know what was going on until an ER doctor called me an hour later. She said as far as she could tell (good thing she's a doctor) he had the virus but he needed to be tested before he could be admitted to ICU. But that would take at least 10 hours.
    Ten hours later I didn't hear back, so I called Mt. Sinai and was told he did test positive and would be moved to ICU so he could get better attention from the pulmonologists there. At 10:30 a doctor called me and told me they were actually NOT moving him since his body was shutting down because his lungs were too destroyed to work. I asked if he had to die alone, and the doctor said I could come say goodbye. When I got to the hospital I had to argue with 3 different security guards to let me go to the ER. I stood my ground and they went back to fetch a nurse who let me in. This was around 11pm.
    The doctor who called me came to meet me and apologized and said that his numbers were now better and he was going to be transferred to the ICU where he could get the care he needed. He was on a respirator and was sedated, so he was not in pain, or at least aware of the pain.
    My husband should have been moved to the place where the experts who who were there on the front lines could help him. Every 15 minutes I would ask when he was going to be transferred and they would say in the next few minutes, but that never happened. At around 2:30 am, they were finally ready to transfer him upstairs, and I left, exhausted, not willing to battle another group of security guards in ICU.
    I walked 3 blocks towards home and the doctor called me to say he was gone, his heart and lungs just stopped beating from all the pressure they were under.
    So the net net is he was only allowed in the hospital until he was most certainly dying, and then he languished in ER for 14 hours while they tested him for corona, which he obviously had, and struggled to find someone to take him upstairs to ICU. Maybe if he was there, he would have had a fighting chance at least for those 15 hours, but of course we will never know. And now I have to grieve alone in quarantine.
    I also want to relate that I asked the doctor if I should be tested since I was around Alan for two weeks. He said I came in looking like I did, the hospital would let me in. However, if I couldn't breathe, I should come in and then they would admit me and test me. So essentially you have to be near dead to get help. I know there is no cure, but surely there is something they can do to alleviate the risk your lungs being destroyed, like sending oxygen to people's homes?
    Please know that I write this not for sympathy, but to let you know the reality of this disease and our country's lack of preparation for it.
    I urge you to REALLY take this seriously, and when the time comes, show your anger to the officials who knew this was coming and did nothing to prepare.
    Alan I can't even begin to imagine the ways in which I will miss you. I am sure that you are so happy that you are getting the credit for writing one of the world's most beloved anthems. Your family and the world is sadder without you. [via Katherine Turman]

Read More: Arrows Frontman Alan Merrill's Death Is Why You Need to Stay Home | https://loudwire.com/arrows-alan-merrill-death-stay-home/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

https://twitter.com/joanjett/status/1244358058916093952
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Kiwirider

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #323 on: April 01, 2020, 01:59 »
    well, a bit one-sided though, and interpreting numbers a bit roughly, by the look of it.

So as pointed out above, I see lots of things that can be discussed myself, but naming Italy as an example to reduce this to a normal flu is probably the most far-fetched bullsh*t I have read so far.
    All due respect, but unless you're a statistician or epidemiologist,  then I'm putting more weight on the interpretation of the guy who does this for a living.

For a start, he is referring to the official, WHO supported (among other organisations), EU data in the link that he has at the start of that paragraph. That shows very much the trend that he's talking about - check out the EU-MOMO data in that link.

Second, you're using a single data point to attempt to demonstrate a trend. By definition, the point of trending is to take out outliers but show the overall direction of movement. One week of excessive deaths in a month doesn't make the trend.

And, after all, if you look at the graph that you have pasted - the red line is in fact significantly higher a couple of years back than it is today ... even though the data from 2020 does include the impact of covid. So, what he says is actually correct - or else the graph is wrong.

Again, if you want to use the graph that you paste, it does show what he says - the background level of infections and therefore of hospital admission was surprisingly low. That's why the red line is lower than the black baseline curve for the majority of the flu season (including, when Italy had already started its covid lockdown).

And, which I'll admit is my interpretation, he's talking about a loading across the whole of the flu season, not just one week or even one month. Again, with a lower level of mortality at the start of the winter, it does indeed look like, overall, that's the case in Italy - even with the March peak that is showing through in this data.

So, maybe something that you disagree with - as you're entitled to, of course - but "far fetched bullsh*t" is surely a bit extreme ...??
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #324 on: April 01, 2020, 02:01 »

Haven't Italy have been attributing all hospital deaths to Covid 19 during this period?
    I think I read that somewhere.....

I recall reading that in a few places ...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #325 on: April 01, 2020, 02:32 »
    if keeping folks out let's the folks within continue in a relatively normal fashion (which I am assuming is happening in RI??) then, to me, that's a good thing

That prompted me to look into it. Heres'a good site with all the numbers, bar graphs, etc.

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/march-31-ri-coronavirus-update/

I must admit, though, I'm quite surprised at how lax some of their preventative measures are, considering that they've got the strictest border control in the country right now. Their numbers, at this point, are relatively low, but that's too be expected as they are the very smallest of states.

But I was a bit taken aback by the fact that they've only just announced the closing of parks and beaches, but that's not until Friday. Why on earth would they delay that decision? If it's anything like Connecticut, people are out and about at such places, because the weather has been mild, schools are closed, and no one is going in to work. So they all go to the park!

There's one such place literally across the street from where I'm living these days. I probably mentioned this previously, but instead of the usual groups of 2 to 4 people, I've been consistently seeing groups of 6, 8 and 10. That's not at all what you would normally encounter. But just today, they had put up barriers in the parking lot, essentially reducing the size by half. I have to imagine that this is in response to the amount of people who have been showing up. On the weekends, or anytime the weather is exceptionally nice, the parking lot has been at capacity, and they have police turning people away. In a normal year, you wouldn't even see that for a summer holiday. It's quite unusual.

As for the Rhode Island stats:

Health Department Director Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott said the four patients who died were a man in his 60s, a man and a woman in their 70s, and a woman in her 80s. A total of eight Rhode Islanders have died from COVID-19 complications in recent days, according to the department.

The state reported 86 new positive tests for coronavirus in the population, bringing the state’s total to 488 since March 1. (Six cases reported Monday turned out to be residents of other states.)

The number of people hospitalized due to COVID-19 rose to 59, up from 41 on Monday and just four a week ago. Of those patients, 14 were in the ICU, with nine of them intubated. Officials said the hospitalized patients range in age, though the virus remains more deadly for older residents.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #326 on: April 01, 2020, 08:06 »
    And, which I'll admit is my interpretation, he's talking about a loading across the whole of the flu season, not just one week or even one month. Again, with a lower level of mortality at the start of the winter, it does indeed look like, overall, that's the case in Italy - even with the March peak that is showing through in this data.

maybe he is, but even then, in what way do those numbers matter? Euromomo does show a way higher than usual current mortality rate for Italy, confirmed by the graph above, and exactly that high number of patients/deaths at the same time leads to massive problems in the hospitals, as you can see or read in every single report from Italy. The fact that overall flu numbers were low this winter is of no help for them at the moment.

And of course I am not a statistician or epidemiologist, but if there's one out of 1000 epidemiologists saying "ah, it's half bad over there in Italy", from somewhere in New Zealand, 20000k away, you may at least consider that the 999 others may be in the right, and not him.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #327 on: April 01, 2020, 08:43 »
    about a potential vaccine, there are some updates in Belgian press today by the way.

Currently 44 companies are working on it world wide. The one from Leuven ("Johnson&Johnson") expects to be able to conduct first tests on humans on from September. If those are successful, it could become available to the public early in 2021 - which they consider are extremely quick, as it usually takes 10 years to bring a new vaccine on the market.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #329 on: April 01, 2020, 10:36 »
    I guess the bet isn't on acting responsibly, but on achieving population immunity faster - this will probably be achieved - but the downside is the number of seriously ill people can flood the hospitals beyond capacity at least for a while. I don't think there's any hope of less people (divided by two as Norway is about half the size of Sweden) eventually getting infected here, there's only a reason to believe it is more likely health services will function almost as normal while the crisis is running.
  • ReplyReply

•