collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3249
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
 It is so often the way with the very old.
Condolences, keep the chin up, DB.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7717
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    And just like that...

My father passed away two hours ago. On his 91st birthday.
    My condolences, DB.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

blutto

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 113
    ....condolences to you and yours....

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3469
    My condolences, DrummerBoy!
    Through your writing here, your father’s story is now more known to me than any of the reported cases over here. I don’t  know anyone that has had the corona personally nor anyone that has had a case in their family here, and because of that all the countermeasures have been feeling more and more like warfare against a hypothetical enemy, even if this is actually the location with the most cases in the country.
    Reading your story it is a reminder that this disease affects real people and real families. Thank you for that!

Rest In Peace, old Drummerman!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11372
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 517
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Here's another one, with some colourful language.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1264997512450113543
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Swedish experiments update
    Hospital where I work  is closing down CoVid-19 wards faster than you can keep up.

Treated a patient who was in induced coma for 35 days today. Rehabilitation will be a long process for many. Was a very beat down person both physically and mentally
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1740
    Oh I've been away for a few weeks, very busy and just read the story of Drummer Boy's father. Painful to read ! 

However if I may say something positive, one of thing that really amazed me is how your father, till his last day was still in touch with new technologies. I don't know how easily he handled them but my own grandfather who is himself 89 is completely out of touch with that, so I guess, you can be very proud of your parents. My grandpa doesn't even have any mobile phone, so of course, no Facetime, Whatsapp, etc. He's never been on the Internet. I don't even have Facetime myself, in my thirties ! Yet in his "prime" (if I may say so), grandpa was quite avant-guardist. For instance, he had his first telly in 1958 (at the time of the Brussels World Expo). But then since the turn of the century, he's really out of touch with that. So we can only reach him by landline telephone. If ever he had contracted the virus and died from it, none of us could've seen him for a last farewell.

Fortunately, in his own retirement community, some general testing have recently been carried out. None of the residents tested positive. That was a most reassuring news for me. Since the pandemic reached my country, I guess I've never really been so scared for myself but I was most certainly was for my grandfather.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 517
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Anagram of the decade :

Stay alert : Control the virus : Save lives

Becomes....

Easily survives travel north to castle.

(Yes lockdown has been boring )
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3868
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    ...one of thing that really amazed me is how your father, till his last day was still in touch with new technologies.

Oh, trust me, he never would've been able to pull that off on his own. Whenever he tried to use a tablet or smartphone, especially with scrolling, I think he felt that he was supposed to be physically moving the pages and images himself. I would often describe his touch on the device as if he were trying to squash bugs. He just didn't seem to grasp the concept.
     :D

The only way any such communication was possible was because of the nurses at the rehab home and hospital. They had iPads, and it was they who facilitated the exchanges we had, often having to "translate" to my father what we were saying due to the background noise of the oxygen machines that were sustaining him. The nurses were amazing in every aspect of their care.

There's been so much I've been meaning to catch up on, and I simply can not believe that's already been a week since my father passed away. That's mind-bending to me. What we're faced with now is the fact that, due to "social-distancing," etc, we can not have any sort of public service or celebration of his life. At first the church suggested that it might be another 6 to 8 weeks before such things are possible, but now they are saying that any services involving a choir, and any receptions involving food, will not likely be possible until...January 2021!
     :S

It's insane. We could maybe have a full service in the church without much music and without a reception, but even that would probably have to wait until late summer. The only other possibility in the short term would be a very small (no more than 5 or 6 people) private ceremony where my dad's ashes would be placed in a ceremonial garden that they have at the church for such occasions—and even that wouldn't include all the family members (of which there aren't many to begin with) due to travel restrictions that some of them are faced with.

This is what is most difficult for my mom: There's just no sense of closure for her. And since she couldn't be with him, or even near him, in the end, none of it even seems real to her.

I've got a lot more to say on this, as well as updates on the current state of things locally, but I've just been swamped with logistics, paperwork, and seemingly endless phone calls.

Should anyone be interested, my Dad's obituary was just  posted online. Here are some excerpts:

Richard Laidley Brown, the loving husband of Margaret Brown, passed away on Friday, May 22, 2020 at UConn Health, after celebrating his 91st birthday earlier that day.

Richard was born in Trail, British Columbia, Canada to Edna Laidley Brown and Wilfred Miller Brown. He spent his youth growing up in Owen Sound, Ontario, with his summers spent in the beloved town of Leith by the waters of the inlet of Georgian Bay. Following in the footsteps of both his parents, Richard attended Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada where he earned his undergraduate degree in Engineering Physics, Class of 1952. He then went on to attend Cranfield University in Cranfield, U.K., achieving his Master's in Aeronautical Engineering. After completing his schooling, Richard worked as an Aerospace Engineer at Orenda Engines, Malton, Ontario. In one of the defining chapters of his life and career, it was here that he was part of the design team for the Avro Arrow, one of the most advanced fighter aircrafts of its era and the pride of Canadian technology.

By the late 1950's, Richard met the love of his life, Margaret Lillywhite, who had travelled from her home in England to work as a nurse in Toronto. They were soon married in July 1958. With the unexpected cancelling of the Avro Arrow project by the Canadian government in 1959, Richard would be recruited by AiResearch in Phoenix, Arizona, prompting him and Margaret to relocate to the U.S. In 1963, Richard was hired by Hamilton Standard in Connecticut. He then moved his growing family to the town of West Hartford, a place he would call home, and where he continued to live until his passing.

As an avid skier throughout his life, he was also an instructor at Ski Sundown in New Hartford, CT, where he continued to be active until the age of 85. With many close, dear friends in both the U.S. and Canada, he will be dearly missed by all who knew him.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Thanks for posting your Dad's obit DB.

Would've been way interesting to hear an insider's view of the project and the cancellation ...

Thanks, Kiwi!

I can share with you this, if it offers any perspective:

My mom once told me that it was only time she ever saw my dad cry. When the Arrow project was cancelled, especially so suddenly and unceremoniously, she said he went into the bathroom and just sobbed—so devastating was the shattering of dreams for so many. I can only imagine the idealism of those young engineers, and the chance to really show what Canada was capable of, at a time when the wonder of air and space travel was really gripping the world. To then have the remaining fleet scrapped was just a pill too bitter to swallow.

The Arrow has always been a part of our family lore, in a sense. I grew up knowing about it, and images of the Arrow were present right up until the very end when my dad was even using an Avro Arrow mouse pad in front of his desktop computer. It still fascinates me to see the far reach that that project has had on so many, and that it continues to this day.

I'm proud of him, and for him, for being a part of it.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    It is the weekend and there tendsto be an issue with stats but 0 deaths last 24 hours in Sweden
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
     Another reason to despair over the crippling restrictions placed upon professional sport.
    London today and the police did almost nothing.

With the ironic title underneath: Some protesters did not appear to follow social distancing guidelines

The road to the US Embassy was blocked.

"Justice for George Floyd" being the reason for protests around the 51st state.
     However, "Black Lives Matter", which they were chanting, apparently excludes death from contagious disease.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
     Meanwhile, if he's right, it could be time to rejoice.

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion.

“The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,” he told RAI television.

A second doctor from northern Italy told the national ANSA news agency that he was also seeing the coronavirus weaken.

“The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today,” said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus-idUSKBN2370OQ
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13500
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    interesting, it may have something to do with the virus load people get faced with though? I think (the way I understood it) meanwhile there's fairly clear evidence that symptons are weaker when people get faced with a smaller load, so having less events with many people, wearing masks and so on may play its part in that.

So it may actually be more of an indication that some (targeted) restrictions need to stay in place, instead of the opposite.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
    « Reply #652 on: June 03, 2020, 12:11 »
    I've had this post cued up in an open window for a couple of days now. I actually fell asleep after composing it on Monday but before sending it.
     :D

With that being said, here's what I originally wrote:

I've really wanted to update some of the local developments, just in the interest of establishing a bit of a historic record here. But the days just fly by, and I barely have time to look up in between the endless phone calls, emails, and other responsibilities associated with sorting out of one's estate.

But just to bookend one chapter in the personal saga a bit...

We came as close as possible to laying my dad to rest last Sunday. His ashes were buried in a Memorial Garden at the church, as was the plan. Due to coronavirus hysteria though, it was requested that no more than 5 to 6 people attend. But it's outdoor's FFS, and not two blocks away you have the center of town which is slowly reopening, so there are small clusters of people everywhere. Had we wanted to, we could have easily had 30 to 40 people spread out around the garden area with very little, if any, threat of killing off the weak amongst the herd. But such is the climate of paranoid, armchair epidemiologists.

So it was just me, my mom, and the Rector of the church. The entire procedure, including a few select prayers and the actual dispensing of the ashes, took less then ten minutes. When it is all over, it was all over. There was no physical contact, no consoling touch from Reverend to my mom, just more "social distancing" on display. All of which was almost comically amplified when, at the conclusion, as he was about to leave the two of us for some time to reflect on our own, I reminded him that I had a check for him (to cover the costs of the ceremony). But instead of simply reaching his hand out for it, he took the extra coronavirus-step of extending the ceremonial shovel instead, into the blade of which I placed the payment, like some sort of offering to the gardening gods.

The exchange was light-hearted from both of our perspectives, and given that my engineering father would never pass up the opportunity to utilize a tool for any given task, even if one were not remotely necessary, the exchange seemed somehow fitting beyond words. And if you think that placing payment for a final burial into the very implement that had just performed such a task is at all inappropriate, you must take into consideration the fact that it is precisely the type of gesture that someone like my father would've initiated, without thinking twice about it, based purely on the pragmatic solution it seemingly offered in the moment. Had it been possible to perform the exact same exchange using even more tools, then all the better, and more clever, it would've been in my father's eyes.

R.I.P.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7717
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #653 on: June 03, 2020, 12:48 »
    Thanks for posting the obituary, DB.
    Until now, the virus has stayed clear of my family and friends, so your father, though separated from me by a whole ocean, is the first Covid-19 victim I "know" - I know his name and have a connection to him.

Rest in peace, Richard Brown.

The nurses were amazing in every aspect of their care.
    This is great to hear, and it underlines something that I think many people who aren't in direct contact with nursing staff tend to forget: It's not 'just' a couple of medicinal and nursing duties that they perform, but just as much - possibly even more so! - many psychological and social tasks, ones that are often little-appreciated (and recompensed).

I hope you can lay your father's remains to rest soon, in the way that is right for you, and get closure. Especially your mother for whom it must be very hard to mourn her husband's death after 62 years of marriage; particularly when she couldn't be at his side. I'm sure you're aware of this, but there are grief counseling initiatives or groups that can help her.

EDIT: We've cross-posted ...

I've had this post cued up in an open window for a couple of days now. I actually fell asleep after composing it on Monday but before sending it.
    Thank you for this latest update. I hope that the ceremony provided some sort of closure to your mother, and that you can have a 'proper' ceremony in the future.

The last bit with the shovel, as absurd as it was, made me chuckle. As you say, it was an appropriate way to remember your dad.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #654 on: June 03, 2020, 16:36 »
    Swedish experiments update

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/man-behind-sweden-s-controversial-coronavirus-strategy-admits-mistakes-20200603-p54z99.html

Hospital wards update.

Was in too 2 CoVid-19 patients today so spoke to the staff. There is a few more patients than last week but other hospital service are being planned to start, some in August but plans are being made. Basically there will be 2 hospital systems in 1. CoVid-19 or not
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #655 on: June 03, 2020, 17:20 »
    So have now listened to the interview. They just saying that the basis of the Swedish experiment is still right for Sweden. But being scientists they always look for details or adjustment that they could have done differently
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #656 on: June 09, 2020, 15:03 »
    Lund university hospital has started a study using cystisk fibros medication for those on respirators with very promising results.

A larger study is now started
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13500
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #657 on: June 21, 2020, 08:42 »
    there has been quite a large outbreak in a slaughterhouse close (~35k) to where I live now, with more than 1000 infected already.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-german-slaughterhouse-outbreak-crosses-1000/a-53883372

It's the biggest slaughterhouse in Europe, and thereby also the biggest outbreak in the EU already, although more than half of the test results are still outstanding.

Even if it's still local, it already has a huge influence on the national numbers:

Things were looking fairly good, with most parts of life more or less going back to "normal" recently, but this could obviously mean a big change. Of course, as usual in this business, there are many migrant workers, but half of the employees are not, which (at this scale) means, that the likeliness of a bigger spread is/was relatively high.

Some people are calling for a lockdown of the region already, and I guess it could happen. There's not much awareness among the poeple anymore, summer holidays are starting next week... only positive thing is the weather.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #658 on: June 21, 2020, 12:55 »
     We have had a similar, though much smaller outbreak (75 cases so far) in a chicken processing factory, here in Wales.
    It's on the island of Anglesey, which for the obvious reason, had had very few cases.
    Food processing plants do seem to be the most susceptible to local outbreaks.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #659 on: June 21, 2020, 14:20 »
    Crazy these slaughterhouse outbreaks.  Another area that needs fixing for the  future
  • ReplyReply

•