collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11392
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3886
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03 »
Coronavirus blah blah blah...COVID 19 blah blah blah...Phase One reopening blah blah blah...Phase Two reopening blah blah blah... NUMBERS SPIKE! SOUND THE ALARM! blah blah blah...Open small businesses...Close small businesses...Open small businesses...Close small businesses...REVERSE ALL ENGINES! PANDEMIC ICE BERG, DEAD AHEAD!!!

SCHOOLS NEED TO OPEN!
SCHOOLS NEED TO STAY CLOSED!

The media have reverted to pre-summer levels of incessant whining and screeching. How they get out of bed each and every day to deliver essentially the exact same talking points, day-after-day,  for weeks on end, is beyond me. I can't even be bothered to quote any stats at this point. The warm weather states are in a state of panic—or at least their political "leaders" are. I live in one of the very areas where things are leaning towards normalcy, albeit slowly. But things are still miles and miles away from functioning correctly.

Now that California has reversed course, and trying to return to lockdown levels, more and more people are starting to revolt. You simply can not bring all of society to a halt over this virus and expect there to be anything left when it eventually dies down, or enough people die off.

The news cycle has returned to 24/7 coronavirus, because apparently there's nothing else going on in the world to report on. Black Lives Matter (not that anyone had suggested otherwise) but only so far as the coronavirus hysteria will allow for. They had a good run for a couple of weeks, but now it's back to all virus, all the time.

Smaller businesses around here still seem to be making up the rules as they go along. No one is getting ahead of recent state guidelines, but plenty of places are staying well behind. Bike shops, as an example, are completely unpredictable. Some have allowed for customers to enter their shops again, as long as masks are being worn. Others, however, are strictly curb-side service only with no admittance into the shop allowed.

Many restaurants and bars are operating at very limited capacity, and typically only allowing for outdoor seating. Others, however, are still closed completely.

Some grocery stores still have lines outside as the flow of people inside is kept to a minimum. Others have a completely open-door policy without issue.

Town Halls and state agencies, like motor vehicle departments, are still in a pathetic state of disarray and half-assed management.

Theres's still months of warm weather left, but when Fall arrives and Winter begins to hint at the inevitable change, dining outside is no longer going to cut it, and most people will be thoroughly exhausted by the parental nature of news coverage.

God only knows what our November presidential elections will bring, but regardless of the outcome, half the country will be angrier than they are now, and the other half will be even less cooperative. Fun times ahead. If more of life doesn't return to some semblance of "normal" by then, you can expect to see one of the more tumultuous times in recent U.S. history.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:15 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
    « Reply #694 on: July 15, 2020, 13:33 »
    On a different note...

I am very curious to see if the UFC manages to pull off the upcoming bout between...

If anyone can pull this off successfully, it's Dana White and the UFC. And I have full confidence that they will. What I'm most curious about at this point is how they will take advantage of not having a live audience.

Well, fast-forward a few months, and the UFC did prove to be the first of the pro sports organizations to find a way, no matter what, to return to business.

One key element to realizing that?

Fight Island

This is a pretty extraordinary undertaking.

• ReplyReply

•