collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11441
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3986
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 P/B Wuhan, China
« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03 »
Coronavirus blah blah blah...COVID 19 blah blah blah...Phase One reopening blah blah blah...Phase Two reopening blah blah blah... NUMBERS SPIKE! SOUND THE ALARM! blah blah blah...Open small businesses...Close small businesses...Open small businesses...Close small businesses...REVERSE ALL ENGINES! PANDEMIC ICE BERG, DEAD AHEAD!!!

SCHOOLS NEED TO OPEN!
SCHOOLS NEED TO STAY CLOSED!

The media have reverted to pre-summer levels of incessant whining and screeching. How they get out of bed each and every day to deliver essentially the exact same talking points, day-after-day,  for weeks on end, is beyond me. I can't even be bothered to quote any stats at this point. The warm weather states are in a state of panic—or at least their political "leaders" are. I live in one of the very areas where things are leaning towards normalcy, albeit slowly. But things are still miles and miles away from functioning correctly.

Now that California has reversed course, and trying to return to lockdown levels, more and more people are starting to revolt. You simply can not bring all of society to a halt over this virus and expect there to be anything left when it eventually dies down, or enough people die off.

The news cycle has returned to 24/7 coronavirus, because apparently there's nothing else going on in the world to report on. Black Lives Matter (not that anyone had suggested otherwise) but only so far as the coronavirus hysteria will allow for. They had a good run for a couple of weeks, but now it's back to all virus, all the time.

Smaller businesses around here still seem to be making up the rules as they go along. No one is getting ahead of recent state guidelines, but plenty of places are staying well behind. Bike shops, as an example, are completely unpredictable. Some have allowed for customers to enter their shops again, as long as masks are being worn. Others, however, are strictly curb-side service only with no admittance into the shop allowed.

Many restaurants and bars are operating at very limited capacity, and typically only allowing for outdoor seating. Others, however, are still closed completely.

Some grocery stores still have lines outside as the flow of people inside is kept to a minimum. Others have a completely open-door policy without issue.

Town Halls and state agencies, like motor vehicle departments, are still in a pathetic state of disarray and half-assed management.

Theres's still months of warm weather left, but when Fall arrives and Winter begins to hint at the inevitable change, dining outside is no longer going to cut it, and most people will be thoroughly exhausted by the parental nature of news coverage.

God only knows what our November presidential elections will bring, but regardless of the outcome, half the country will be angrier than they are now, and the other half will be even less cooperative. Fun times ahead. If more of life doesn't return to some semblance of "normal" by then, you can expect to see one of the more tumultuous times in recent U.S. history.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:15 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #694 on: July 15, 2020, 13:33 »
    On a different note...

I am very curious to see if the UFC manages to pull off the upcoming bout between...

If anyone can pull this off successfully, it's Dana White and the UFC. And I have full confidence that they will. What I'm most curious about at this point is how they will take advantage of not having a live audience.

Well, fast-forward a few months, and the UFC did prove to be the first of the pro sports organizations to find a way, no matter what, to return to business.

One key element to realizing that?

Fight Island

This is a pretty extraordinary undertaking.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #696 on: August 12, 2020, 13:33 »
    Followed by this

https://twitter.com/profshanecrotty/status/1293344524731691008?

So basically back to who knows
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #697 on: October 02, 2020, 06:16 »
    If this didn't raise alarm bells...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1311859538279239686

:-x

this one certainly will!  :beaten

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1311892190680014849
    The Internet will not survive this.

:o STRAP IN, EVERYONE!!!  :o
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 537
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #698 on: October 02, 2020, 07:01 »
    Get well soon Mrs T.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 537
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #699 on: October 06, 2020, 08:52 »
    So after a speedy recovery Trump has left  Walter Reed M C and people,e are asking did Hope Hicks pass it on to him. Reports are that he gave it her. Repeatedly.

Meanwhile Melania has 'a headache' apparently. Medics are questioning  if this is different to her usual nightly ' headache'
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1802
    « Reply #700 on: October 11, 2020, 12:27 »

https://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/liege/detail_la-prison-de-huy-confinee-plusieurs-detenus-sont-positifs-au-covid-19?id=10605708

La prison de Huy placée en confinement : plusieurs détenus sont positifs au Covid-19

The Huy prison is placed into confinement : several detainees/prisoners are positive for Covid-19

------

I shouldn't laugh but isn't it the very nature of a prison to be in quarantine ?  :lol

It means that the prisoners can no longer get visits nor do any activities actually.

Who knows they may have contamined the Arrow's peloton.  :P

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #701 on: November 26, 2020, 00:11 »
    What a long, strange trip it's been. To say the very least.

It's always so fascinating to read back on the first few pages of this thread.

So, where are we now, eight months later?

The virus is still spreading, with many areas seeing record numbers of positive cases. Within the U.S., those more rural areas that were originally spared the first wave of intensity that ravaged the big, coastal cities are now getting their own turn on the pandemic wheel.

Even my home state, that had mostly been an example of how to do things right, is seeing the numbers creep back up, with some previously-relaxed restrictions being implemented yet again. The exact standards being applied, though, still varies greatly from one business to the next, even when those businesses literally share the same walls. Some cafes are running at greatly-reduced indoor capacity while others, sometimes right next door, are allowing for curbside pick-up only. Meanwhile, others still have shut their doors permanently.

As the trends are getting worse rather than better across the country, we are just now kicking off our holiday season. Tomorrow, Thursday, November 26th is Thanksgiving, and traditionally one of the biggest travel weekends of the year. People are being asked (not quite urged) to keep family gatherings to a minimum, and to refrain from long-distance travel, but I'm not sure how much of a reduction in those well-worn habits is going to occur. Grocery stores, for example, that would be seen to have carefully controlled lines of people, patiently waiting their turns outside with fashionable social distancing on display back in May, now appear to be "business as usual" with crowded aisles and frantic parking lots as families stock up on holiday items for those very same gatherings that are supposedly not going to be taking place.

Add to all of that the arrival of Christmas, and we seem to be doing everything we can to usher in a Janaury and February that will far eclipse the number of patients that we saw during the first "peak" of the pandemic several months ago. 

I've some more personal perspectives to share, and of course the immenent arrival of a vaccine should be discussed. But I am reduced, for the time being, to having to convey all this through an iPad. Not my weapon of choice, that's for sure.
    (I'll likely be better off dictating into my phone for my next attempt.)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #702 on: November 30, 2020, 15:28 »
    Some more personal experiences to share.

A few months after my dad passed away last May, we moved my mom into a nursing home, which was no small feat in the age of Covid. After having been ravaged by the coronavirus, many homes simply weren't admitting anyone, for fear of setting off another outbreak. On that note: those that were allowing for new patients generally weren't the type of places where you'd want to send a loved one. But we got lucky and found a highly reputable facility that was willing to accept her. And just in time, as it turns out, because it's getting increasingly difficult to gain entrance to any of the quality homes as the virus is making its winter comeback.

All that being said, I just wanted to share a bit about what the experience has been like from a family perspective. Again, keep in mind that my mother is in one of the better facilities in the state.

For starters, she's been there approximately four months now, and not once have we been allowed to enter the facility ourselves, outside of a very limited "meeting" area. Not once have we been allowed to take my mom out for even a casual stroll around the grounds for sunshine, fresh air and the like. Having suffered a stroke some years ago, she is confined to a wheelchair and certainly not able to manage such a thing on her own.

Due to Covid, the general guidelines only allow for one visit per family per week, and those are limited to either 20 or 30 minutes depending on staffing and other various factors. For those visits, physical distancing of 6 feet is required, with masks being mandatory for everyone. If any items are brought from outside, they must be given to the front desk as nothing is allowed to be given directly to any of the residents themselves. Not that anything, whatsoever, is done to said items as far as sterization or what have you, it's simply yet another example of meaningless bureaucratic overreach--one more hoop to jump through so that administrators can add another check mark to their endless list of restrictions in order to prove their value to the state.

During the warmer months at least, these brief visits took place inside of an open-air courtyard within the confines of the main building itself. For the past few months, however, all visits have been moved inside to what appears to be a modestly-sized, unused auditorium/gathering hall. But now, in addition to the mandatory masks and "social distancing," they've placed a plexiglass shield in the middle of a table that we're supposed to sit opposite sides of. Two out of the three restrictions I might understand, but all three? Nonsense. It's completely absurd.

Tell me: How is any of this different from a prison visit?

To further complicate matters, whenever a staff member happens to test positive for Covid-19 (everyone, from staff to residents are tested at least once a week) everything goes into a 14-day quarantine lockdown, and all visits are halted during that time. Should any new positives occur during that period, then the 14-day clock is reset and the whole process repeats itself.

(I've just noticed that this iPad is not recharging as it should, so I'll post this for now before I lose everything.)

To be continued...

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #703 on: November 30, 2020, 20:04 »
    As I was saying...

So that's what I'm in the middle of currently: I was supposed to see my mom on Dec 3rd, but then that got bumped up to Dec 7th when someone on staff tested positive. Then, just as I was finishing my previous post, I got a call from the nursing home informing me of yet another positive test result, so now the Dec 7th visit has been scrapped. In fact, all visits are on hold, and they're not scheduling any new ones until this all gets sorted out on their end.

There are several problems with this entire scenario.
    First off, the over-protected visits are infuriating for many reasons. Being forced to keep distance while also wearing masks makes it nearly impossible to communicate clearly with an elderly woman who already speaks softly and who is, unsurprisingly, already confused by her surroundings. She never gets any any interaction with other residents, and all her interactions with the staff are when they are wearing masks (she doesn't wear one when she's in her own room, but certainly everyone coming in does).

This means that, among other things, it's very difficult for me judge her overall appearance and general state of health when I can never even clearly see her whole face. And as we all well know, there's much more to personal communication than just the words being spoken. Without those full facial expressions, and the subtle lip-reading that one naturally employs when it's hard to hear someone, such "face-to-face" encounters are rendered near meaningless. I often walk away wondering, What was the point of that?

Now, the staff does facilitate video calls through FaceTime, and those are turning out to be more rewarding and revealing than the theatrics of the farcical in-person encounters. But they're not an adequate replacement for the real thing.

The other main point of contention that I've had as a result of never being allowed entrance to her actual living quarters, is that very early after her arrival there, I had dropped off some of her clothes for her. However, these mysteriously never made their way to her room, and as a result, she was often dressed in someone else's clothes when I would see her.
     :S

No matter how many people we pressed on the matter, or how many different stories we were offered, her original clothes never materialized. Where they ended up, I've still no idea. Which also begs the question of: Just whose clothes is she wearing?! Someone else must be missing their own clothes as well! Since then, I've been very careful to not only label every item dropped off with her name embedded, but to also take accurate pictures of every item ahead of time as well. Lesson learned.

I offer that last story only to illustrate the type of frustrating scenario that, we're it not for pandemic restrictions, could likely be solved and resolved within minutes if I were able to investigate first hand, instead of months passing with still zero results.

And to revisit the previously-stated issue:
    With all the restrictions and rules being placed upon family visits, the most threatening circumstances are still as they've always been: that of staff members being exposed to Covid outside of work, which puts everyone and everything inside of work at risk.

I haven't tested positive, nor has my mother ever tested positive. Yet our interactions are completely dictated by the behavior and actions of others.

In spite of all of the above, I'm confident that my mom is otherwise being well cared for, and there are a number of indicators that tell me that. But there's no doubt in my mind that she is fading a bit mentally, mostly due to boredom and an overall lack of meaningful stimulation.  Having lost her husband of more than sixty years, and then to find herself living in a world completely detached from any sense of normalcy, would be detrimental to anyone's frame of mind. But she simply requires more care than we could continue to provide at home for her, and these are the times that we live in.

So very strange, indeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #704 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54 »
    The City of Angels...descending into a hellscape.   :S

Residents in city of Los Angeles to ‘remain in their homes’ amid COVID-19 surge, mayor’s office says

All residents within the city of Los Angeles should continue to remain in their homes and follow the city’s “safer-at-home” order, which mirrors guidance from L.A. County, according to the mayor’s office.

A public order posted on the mayor’s website Wednesday detailed many of the restrictions, including a ban on some travel with a variety of exemptions.

Email and text alerts from the city’s NotifyLA System also went out Wednesday, although the mayor’s deputy press secretary, Harrison Wollman, said the guidance has been in place for days.

Mirroring the county’s order, all public and private gatherings with people from more than one household are prohibited, except for outdoor faith-based services and protests.

Failure to comply with the new health order will constitute a misdemeanor subject to fines and imprisonment, according to the document. The mayor urged the Los Angeles Police Department and the city attorney to “vigorously enforce this.”

“My message couldn’t be simpler,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a briefing earlier Wednesday. “It’s time to hunker down. It’s time to cancel everything. And if it isn’t essential, don’t do it.”

The new order comes after Los Angeles County reported a total of 2,439 people hospitalized for the virus Wednesday, more than on any other day during the pandemic.

You have to admire the classic government-speak.
    Of course it's not a "stay at home" order. No, no, no.

It's a "safer at home" edict. See the difference?  :wut

Public Order Under City of Los Angeles Emergency Authority

If I'm reading that right, running on the beach is allowed, but not "sitting or sunbathing."

Oh, and of course "protests" are allowed. Uh huh. We'll see about that.

Good luck, L.A.  You won't have a city to return to.   :sick
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3309
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #705 on: December 03, 2020, 21:37 »
    Seems somewhat less severe than the spring lockdowns in most of Europe. 
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14030
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #706 on: December 03, 2020, 22:37 »
    yeah, France has had something like that for basically the majority of the year, apart from the Summer months. They just relaxed it a bit, meaning you are now allowed to leave your house for two hours a day or so again.

in Germany we have a light lockdown at the moment (since end of-October), with restaurants, pubs, all cultural institutions and so on closed, and it's only enough to stabalize the infection numbers at a high level, not to bring them down.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #707 on: December 04, 2020, 14:42 »
    The U.S. numbers are all peaking right now.

I've stopped paying attention to the specifics because every day it's, "the highest number of positives in a day, the highest number of hospitalization, highest number of single-day deaths" etc. Every day it's the same story.

But the reporting is getting lazier and lazier as they're not providing much on specifics. I don't know what the demographics are for those who are succumbing, but personally, besides my own father,  I don't know anyone else who has died from Covid. So it's not as if these rising numbers equate to dead bodies lining the streets. Although network and cable news would have you believe otherwise.

Our soon-to-be Scarecrow-in-chief wants to implement a "100 day" mask policy, which would essentially mean February to early May 2021. Under what specific conditions, we haven't been told yet. But this is doomed to failure. I already wear one when I'm supposed to, and never do when it's not neccessary. My personal habits are not going to change one bit based on totally arbitrary guidelines from a geriatric puppet.

Vaccinations should be well under way by then anyway, not that I plan on being first in line.

I'm not opposed to it, nor am desperate to receive a vaccination. So we will just have to wait and see what unfolds.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #708 on: December 04, 2020, 15:35 »
    Speaking of vaccines...

Is this real? :slow

The Coronavirus Vaccine Uncensored | Robert F. Kennedy Jr. & Del Bigtree
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7794
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #709 on: December 04, 2020, 15:43 »
    Speaking of vaccines...

Is this real? :slow
    Well, it's RFK Jr. He is, to put it mildly, round the bend. :S

If he told me the sky was blue, I'd look up to check. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #710 on: December 04, 2020, 16:36 »
    things may still go wrong for a small number of people, but in the end it's a calculated risk. On the Philippines for example (if this very quick Google "research" was correct) 3 out of 870.000 vaccinated children died due to that medication. And as he pointed out, this was a huge scandal, and it was recalled afterward. The vaccine from the 1960's he mentioned never was approved to begin with, as far as I can see, those incidents happened during the study. So we are beyond that point already with the current one.

Personally, I see no other option than taking that risk anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1802
    « Reply #711 on: December 09, 2020, 15:23 »
    I don't know why but a thought crossed my mind today. Is it possible that there had been Covid-19 cases in Antarctica. Apparently not and most of all the scientists are taking every measure possible to keep the White Continent safe. Repatriating a scientist from Antarctica seems to be even harder than repatriating a cosmonaut from a space nation. If it ever happens, that would be a disaster.

On 28th November, some 80 French scientists went to Antarctica. It's essential that the station be 365 days year occupied and besides research about climate change need to proceed. However, usually they would sent 120 scientists to the continent, so it's a reduced contingent.

https://www.leparisien.fr/societe/covid-19-voyage-en-antarctique-epargnee-par-le-virus-l-incroyable-periple-des-scientifiques-28-11-2020-8411056.php

So they did a 22-hour plane trip to Hobart, Tasmania (with stopovers), stayed isolated in Hobart for a fortnight (with PCR testing) and then moved on to the Concordia and Dumont d'Urville stations in Antarctica, the trip from Hobart to the Antarctica stations were both done twice, the one to the Dumont d'Urville station is either done by plane or by ship.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #712 on: December 13, 2020, 14:38 »
    I'm not sure what to make if this recent study. The evidence appears to be compelling, but where does that leave us? Don't go out? Ever? Hunker down endlessly?

As it is, society is not functioning correctly. If even stricter limitations are imposed, then the breaking point will only loom larger. The powers-that-be are playing with fire, and they shouldn't be surprised if the remaining frayed, fabric begins to combust.

I've little faith that a vaccine is going to provide the necessary relief, as that's not going to solve the much bigger problem of unchecked power and media fear-mongering. Both of those show no sign of abating, regardless of how effective a vaccine may or may not be. 2021 could very well have people looking back on the dysfunction of 2020 as, "the good old days."

My other concern is that "President Harris" will be incapable of effectively navigating her way through the oncoming storm, as I fully expect Biden to either step down or drop dead before 2022. But I digress...

Anyway, I won't try to quote from the article in question. Just a link:

Infected after 5 minutes, from 20 feet away: South Korea study shows coronavirus’ spread indoors

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-12-09/five-minutes-from-20-feet-away-south-korean-study-shows-perils-of-indoor-dining-for-covid-19
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #713 on: December 13, 2020, 17:50 »
    Anyway, I won't try to quote from the article in question. Just a link:

Infected after 5 minutes, from 20 feet away: South Korea study shows coronavirus’ spread indoors

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-12-09/five-minutes-from-20-feet-away-south-korean-study-shows-perils-of-indoor-dining-for-covid-19

here is also a German infographic you can play with a bit, to see the risk of an aerosol based infection in closed rooms, per room-size and amount of time spent (and also additional measures, if you like to add, like different type of masks and so on)

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-11/coronavirus-aerosole-ansteckungsgefahr-infektion-hotspot-innenraeume
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #714 on: December 14, 2020, 14:12 »
    here is also a German infographic you can play with a bit

Das sieht interessant aus, aber ich konnte nichts davon verstehen, weil ich kein Deutsch spreche.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #715 on: December 14, 2020, 15:04 »
    hehe, I actually thought it was fairly self explanatory. "Raumgröße" is the size of the room, "Dauer" the duration in hours, and "Personen" the amount of persons in the room - and it then shows the probability for you to get infected, if there is one infectious person in that room.

You can then add additional factors at the bottom (type of mask, air flow, ceiling height, duration- and volume of speech).

For the example from Korea you quoted (~100m2, half an hour, ~30 person, lots of loud speaking), based on the data which is used for the visualizaion, you end up with a 3% chance to get infected then.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3309
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #716 on: December 14, 2020, 19:36 »
    Click on the link to read it in English, and you don't even need it to be self explanatory.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #717 on: December 15, 2020, 12:28 »
    The vaccine has arrived here, and I believe we're one of the first locations to receive it.

In fact, the nursing where my mom is had their own delivery yesterday.

I'm not sure that this quite equates to, "a date some are comparing to when America landed a man on the moon."  :S  ...but it is newsworthy.

Vaccine Arrives in Hartford and Inoculations Begin, Providing Hope Against COVID-19

https://healthnewshub.org/vaccine-arrives-in-hartford-and-inoculations-begin-providing-hope-against-covid-19/

Nine months after the first COVID-19 patients emerged at Hartford HealthCare (HHC) hospitals, a vaccine arrived that is expected to change the course of the worldwide pandemic.

Nearly 2000 doses of coronavirus vaccine arrived at Hartford Hospital at 6:43 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 14, a date some are comparing to when America landed a man on the moon.

With Gov. Ned Lamont and a large contingent of media on hand at Hartford Hospital, the first inoculation in Connecticut began immediately with staff from across HHC. Lamont and HHC President and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey A. Flaks both referred to the vaccine arrival as historic and praised healthcare workers for their courage during a pandemic that has now killed more than 300,000 people across the United States.

Packed in dry ice, the vaccine shipment was received at Hartford Hospital and moved to the hospital’s ultra-cold freezer — purchased specifically to accommodate the vaccine — for storage at minus-100 degrees. Doses were defrosted and shipped to clinic sites at other Hartford HealthCare hospitals, including Backus Hospital, Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, The Hospital of Central Connecticut, MidState Medical Center, St. Vincent’s Medical Center and Windham Hospital, where clinics will be held for frontline staff.

“I could not be more proud of all you have done and how far we have come,” Flaks said. “The talent and expertise of our entire team, in every area of Hartford HealthCare, made sure we were ready for this crucial moment. Today, you are part of history.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, frontline healthcare workers and those living in skilled nursing facilities are eligible to receive the vaccine first. The vaccine, while not mandatory, is recommended for all healthcare workers.

At Hartford HealthCare, distribution will be prioritized for those staff (both clinical and clinical support) who work directly in areas that care for COVID-19 patients.

In the coming weeks, HHC expects to receive enough vaccines for all staff.

“I want to recognize their courage,” said Flaks, referring to staff members who have been caring for COVID-19 patients for the past nine months. “These are people who protect us when we are most vulnerable. . . . I have enormous gratitude, incredible appreciation and respect, beyond what I can put into words, for what I see from our team, our front-line healthcare workers, every day.”

Lamont called the arrival of the vaccine “the arrival of a new day,” but cautioned people to continue to wear masks and practice social distancing until enough people receive the vaccine — a process that is expected to take several months.

Hartford HealthCare Senior Director of Infectious Disease Keith Grant, the first front-line worker to get vaccinated on Monday (see photo above), added that the vaccine is 95 percent effective, compared to flu shots which are generally below 60 percent. Still, because of the time it takes for enough people to get the required two doses — 28 days between injections — people should not let their guard down. He said especially during the holiday season, people should avoid gathering with anyone outside of their household.

Despite the need to remain cautious, the vaccine offers renewed hope against the coronavirus.

“This is a tremendous moment for our state, for our region, and for our country,” Flaks said.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #718 on: December 15, 2020, 13:07 »
    Swedish experiments update. Things are turning to sh*t. Spring and Summer were ok, hospital staff are toast. Peak of deaths should be about 3 or 4 weeks in the future.

Over death rate will be pretty high, middle of Summer we were lower than normal. Christmas comes at completely the wrong time
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #719 on: December 16, 2020, 14:08 »
    Meanwhile...

The Netherlands, Germany and England all imposing strict lockdowns through the holiday season?

To what extent? And who else is joining the party?

Looks to be a grim winter ahead of us.
  • ReplyReply

•