collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3441
So, how often do athletes actually get tested?
« on: March 29, 2020, 20:51 »
Magnus Krogsæter Aarre is a journalist with TV2 in Norway. He has compiled a list of how often athletes were tested in 2019, based on interviews.
The data shows that endurance sports stars - cross country skiing, swimming, cycling, track running and triathlong are at top of the list with (unsurprisingly?) Therese Johaug tested about 20 times (+/- 1). Johannes Høsflot Klæbo was also tested about 20 times. #uae Aleksander Kristoff, Henrik Kristiansen (swimmer), and a few others are in a group with approximately 15 tests for 2019. Technical disciplines seem to come with much lower number of tests, notably the only male football player at the international level that answered properly was tested twice, and at the national level once. Ski jumpers at WC level tested once.

Quite a few answered these questions in a way so that the answers could not be used, which leads me to speculate that there might not have been much testing to talk of.

There is a nice plot and datables  in the TV2 story, I prefer to link to it here rather than "steal" their work - I think they deserve credit for asking such a simple but critical question openly and putting the data forward. (take a look, you don't need to know Norwegian as the graphics are good)

Here is the link to the story

It is pretty obvious that football at top international level isn't represented here...
The good news is that it seems like the endurance athletes like for example the x-c skiiers at top level are intensely monitored. It is not a coincidence they get caught for apparently minor infringements then, from time to time.

I wonder what it would be like in football if......
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:41 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7706
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It is pretty obvious that football at top international level isn't represented here...
    Of course not, they only asked Norwegians. :P

Sorry, I had to make this cheap joke. :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    Of course not, they only asked Norwegians. :P

Sorry, I had to make this cheap joke. :lol

This guy comes knocking on  your door and wants to have a word:

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13459
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Ski jumpers at WC level tested once.

they returned loads of positive tests for mechanical fraud though ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    they returned loads of positive tests for mechanical fraud though ;)

Actually that is most of the time aero fraud, not so much mechanical.
    Unlike cycling these guys like to maximise effective surface area exposed to the wind, resulting in oversize and windproof suits for the jumping. I am not so concerned about that actually - very few gets hurt due to baggy trousers  (possibly #jumbo Roglic?  :P

The other side of the weight/effective surface area ratio is more important. Just like in cycling there is quite likely to be some weight loss issues and illegal means of loosing weigth. That is probably hard to prove without testing - but that is dangerous.

It has probably been said before but one thing is if a 20-something elite athlete cheats under some sort of medical supervision, another thing if his younger brother discovers how his brother does it and decides to try this by himself - without supervision.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13459
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Actually that is most of the time aero fraud, not so much mechanical.
    Unlike cycling these guys like to maximise effective surface area exposed to the wind, resulting in oversize and windproof suits for the jumping. I am not so concerned about that actually - very few gets hurt due to baggy trousers  (possibly #jumbo Roglic?  :P)

yeah, not so much "mechanical", but I'd say it's comparable to using a non-compliant bike, for example. Maybe not like using a motor, but riding it underweight, or something like that. Personally I don't see it as maximization only.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3846
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Could the title of this thread be changed to proper English?  :P

So, how often "do" athletes actually tested?  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7706
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Could the title of this thread be changed to proper English?  :P

So, how often "do" athletes actually tested?  :cool
    Your wish is our command. :angel
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.