collapse

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 4563
  • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
How to fuel your rides
« on: April 02, 2020, 13:09 »
Hey ho,

Something I've been thinking about the last day but couldn't really find on the webs
I bought my first race bike in 2013 and have been cycling since, however didn't make much progress for a long time, I am just too lazy to properly put in an effort to get better? However last spring/summer I put in the work and managed to get faster and ride longer distances, but unfortunately in July I got an injury so couldn't continue building on it and didn't touch my bike again for the rest of the year except once which was a big fail. I have a lot of free time now with the current situation so have gotten back to training, and my goal is to ride longer distances. Right now most of my rides are 25-35 km long at about 26-27 kph average. I'm not so much concerned about average speed as it depends a lot on the weather circumstances and I figure as I get stronger I will be able to get faster as well. All of this is just some background information, to get to the point I am thinking of aiming to be able to do 50 km solo rides.

So here is the story, couple days ago I was out on the bike, exploring a new area, I do this in sections to gradually expand my known roads, I've realized that I tend to stick to roads I know which means I'd be forever stuck in a small area which won't help me when I'm trying to go on longer rides. So I was riding, and it went pretty well actually, except it was way more windy than I had anticipated so I came into a big headwind on a long straight section, big battle with the wind, felt a little fatigued and like I had to catch my breath, so I had to stop (this doesn't happen that often). But while I was trying to catch my breath I only felt worse, and got dizzy and nauseous, so much that I felt like I was going to pass out. A friendly cyclist stopped to help me and offered me some food. I carefully made my way home and after showering had a massive headache and had to throw up. So most likely this was a big hunger knock, except it happened after just 20 km. I have experienced the feeling of just completely empty legs in the past but not like this. I didn't eat too much before the ride but I rarely do, I just drink a lot and go. But this got me thinking, do I have to start bringing food if I want to go on longer rides?

So my question, from what distance or length of your rides do you bring food, and how much? And when do you actually eat, 30 mins into the ride, 60 mins, and do you eat on the bike or off?!
Another issue is that I have a really hard time eating during or after an effort, so should I invest in gels instead? :o

Also, what about water? I take 1 bottle as that's all I can fit on the bike (I could, I suppose, purchase another bottle cage :P ), when it gets really hot I make sure to drink plenty ahead of time and stop at a free water tap point. How much water do you drink per hour?

Curious to hear how others deal with this
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3441
    Re: How to fuel your rides
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 21:52 »
    My rule-of-thumb:

less than 2 hour rides: food optional
    for rides longer than 2 hours: 1 small banana per hour + a few slices of bread with some salty sausage for a midway break

water to drink: depending on the weather. I usually ride in areas where I can refill - but if it is a really hot day I don't take chances and bring 2 bottles, and more slices of salty sausages on my bread.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3846
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 22:46 »
    + a few slices of bread with some salty sausage for a midway break

:o Doesn't that make you desperately thirsty????

That would dry my mouth out like a sponge.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3441
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:59 »
    :o Doesn't that make you desperately thirsty????

That would dry my mouth out like a sponge.  :D

No, but then American "bread" is something different from the north European bread. And it is just a few thin slices of some kind of salt sausage. Especially in warm conditions I think a little extra salt is a good idea. It is replacing what leaves through sweating etc. - helps to keep the cramps away.

Anyway, the main message is that I eat food not so dramatically different from what I eat when not cycling. It does the job at least for training rides, and my digestive system handles it well. Following the same philosophy would be not to eat what I eat, but pick carbohydrate rich items from your normal diet that can be brought along for a ride. There's much more risk for stomach trouble if you eat something special for a bike ride.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11351
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 17:57 »
    1st I like a really good book, it just smashes you. Might be a memory from a life time ago, but...

Less than 10c warm sweet tea

Warmer than 10c water

Always take 1 bottle unless planning longer rides ie more than an hour.

I always have a bar with me, I once threw out the bar as it had passed its used by date, by 6 months.

Longer riders I tend to have banana and bars with me, plus my credit card.

Less than an hour I might have half a water bottle and that is it.

The reason to have more is I once came off and had nothing with me, I really needed to wash the wounds and food would have been nice.

Plan for the worst hope for the best.

Flo there is no real rule you need to find your own. But some days will be sh*t always good to have a bar with you for the ride home
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8401
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 19:27 »
    1st I like a really good book, it just smashes you.

You're not suggesting she eats a book, are you? :D

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11351
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 21:56 »
    Meh bonk
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1813
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 22:36 »
    When I used to commute, only about 14 miles each way, from Esher to Central London, I always used to throw down a couple of bananas or a bowl of muesli. Would never go on my bike without eating something first. Always took a bottle of half fruit juice and half water.
  • ReplyReply

•