collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3983
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Fixie Fascination and other Urban Adventures
« on: July 12, 2020, 23:59 »
I've been meaning to start this thread since...well...forever.

But where to begin? So much to cover!

I've been riding nearly exclusively on a fixed-gear bike for the past two years, and the changes in my style, the level of appreciation of what riding is all about, and the personal insight gained has been nothing short of remarkable.

I could go on and on. And I will...but not just yet.  :P

From the track, to messenger life, and everything in between, the fixed-gear bike has spawned a world, and a culture, unto itself—which is pretty hilarious given that that's where it all started in the first place!

Given the lack of racing to watch amid the pandemic of 2020, what better to fill the void than an assortment of videos ranging from the hair-raising to the humorous, curated by yours truly.
 :)

With that being said, let us commence this adventure with one of the all-time greatest displays of mixed-terrain mayhem that I've ever witnessed on film. This would be utterly insane with brakes. But on a legit track bike?!?!
(Ignore the thumbnail. No idea why there's a road bike in that pic.)

The second half, in particular, is pure... :o

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce, the incomparable SAFA. :snooty

Do watch it in its entirety for the full effect. If you like this sort of thing, there is much, much more to come.
 :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:02 by Drummer Boy »

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8785
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    I have to hold my hands up and say I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate courier cyclists or whatever you want to call them (usually something with four letters in it!).

No doubt very skilled and fearless, but just cause you're "trying to get to the other side of town" :playlist quickly, that doesn't mean the laws of the road don't apply to you.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I have to hold my hands up and say I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate courier cyclists or whatever you want to call them (usually something with four letters in it!).

Better close this thread out now, then.  :-x

However, should cooler heads prevail,  :P then let's go from Mexico City to New York City.

Personally, I can't get enough of this one.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    One for the Brits.

"Danger gathers upon our path. We cannot afford – we have no right – to look back. We must look forward."

- Winston Churchill, 10 December 1936

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Changing tack for a moment...

There are some entertaining chapters from the State Bicycle series
    Riding Fixed, Up Mountains, with Pros.

About the Series: "Riding Fixed, Up Mountains, With Pros."  The concept is simple, we wanted to get to know our favorite Pro cyclists and what better way to conduct a natural interview than on the bike, taking them out of their comfort zone just a bit by doing in with NO GEARS (and no brakes sometimes).

I'll offer some of my personal favorites.  :)

Ep. 4 Zion National Park, UT w/ TJ Eisenhart

Episode 4, takes us through the majestic Zion National Park in Southern Utah with Pro Cyclist TJ Eisenhart.  The up-and-comer, US Based pro (Holowesko Citadel Team) TJ, at only age 23, has already made quite the name for himself with top finishes at Redlands, Colorado Classic, and Tour of the Gila. Known for his artistic flair, free-spirit, and unique style, TJ Eisenhart shares his philosophy on life, cycling, lingo, and being chill.

From very impressive fixed-gear riding on the descent from host, Scott Piercefield.  :cool

---------------------
    Ep. 7 Ward, CO w/ Toms Skujiņš

In Episode 7 we meet up with Toms Skujins less than 1 week removed from his stellar 2018 cycling season which saw a King of the Mountains Jersey in Tour of California and the Tour De France, a national TT championship (Latvia), and multiple stages won around the world. Toms is a favorite within the peloton for his great sense of humor and a favorite with race fans for his resilience and aggressiveness on the bike. We chat with Toms about his homeland Latvia, living in Colorado, bike racing, and of course his love of potatoes.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Two more...

Riding Fixed, Up Mountains, With Pros. - Ep. 10 Caesar's Head w/ Christian Vande Velde
    Greenville, South Carolina

----------------

Riding Fixed, Up Mountains, With Pros. - Ep. 3 Red Rock Canyon w/ Floyd Landis & Dave Zabriskie

Not a great episode, but interesting story from Dave @7:10.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I wasn't planning on adding another from this series just yet, but this one just popped up.  :cool

Riding Fixed, Up Mountains, with Pros. – Ep. 12: Gold Hill w/ Lachlan Morton

After self-isolation for 2 weeks (and 2 weeks after the trip too) - we met up with Lachlan just 1 day prior to his departure for the late-start of the post-COVID-19 Pro Cycling Tour in Europe. Episode 12, takes us to Colorado, where Lachlan has been training for a chat about the "new / alternative" approach to riding. We hope you enjoy.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    VR's most popular thread returns!  :P

Track Bike Toni @shogun.toro takes us on a quick one through Harlem and the Bronx.
    The cycling shown in this video is a computer simulation. All acts done in this video are performed by a professional, in a controlled environment. Please ride according to your skill level, don't try this at home kiddos.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Re: Fixie Fascination and other Urban Adventures
    « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 15:29 »
    Back by popular demand.

I believe the rider's face had to blotted out due to Japanese citizens reporting some of his earlier work to the police. Apparently they frown on such antics in the Land of the Rising Sun.

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:08]

Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:04]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by t-72
    [October 19, 2020, 23:33]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by search
    [October 19, 2020, 22:44]

Re: Roadbooks by Thibautg16