collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13791
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Milano - Sanremo
« on: August 07, 2020, 20:06 »
Milano - Sanremo

Saturday, August 8th

It's finally time for first monument of the season. A bit later than usual. Also a bit longer. A bit harder. And quite a bit hotter.

Since Sacha Modolo finished 4th in his first ever Milano Sanremo 10 years ago, I was always looking forward to see him step up on the podium. So obviously I was happy to read earlier on today, when his team mate #alpecin Oscar Riesebeek said, that he is one of the big favorites for tomorrow.

As it now turns out, he isn't even lined up to start though. So I guess someone else will win again this year. Whoever it may be.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Milano - Sanremo
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 20:11 »
    a bit more on the new route, from RCS's press release:

The route had to be modified because of the heavy thunderstorms that struck Alessandria in recent days. Accordingly, the route will be extended by 6km.

After 110 years the Milano-Sanremo presented by Vittoria changes route and meets the sea only in Imperia after crossing the Po Valley and the Apennines further west than usual. After leaving Milan, it crosses the Lomellina on flat, wide and straight roads. After Alessandria, the race crosses the Monferrato and then passes through the Langhe before facing the first long challenge of the day, the ascent of Niella Belbo.

The slopes are gentle, but there are, especially in the initial part of the climb, steep sections and the ascent is almost 20km long (average gradient of 3%). After Ceva begins the long and easy ascent to Colle di Nava (3.9km and a gradient of 3% in the final part of the climb), followed by the fast dive on Pieve di Teco, then on to reach Imperia. The ascent and descent are both on wide roads while the crossing of Langhe and Monferrato has narrow sections. In Imperia the race returns to the classic route to tackle the Cipressa (first climbed in 1982) from San Lorenzo al Mare and shortly afterwards, the Poggio di Sanremo (first climbed in 1961).

Following the Cipressa (5.6km with an average gradient of 4.1%) is a very fast and challenging descent which takes riders back to the SS 1 Aurelia. At 9km from the finish, the ascent of Poggio di Sanremo begins (3.7km long with an average gradient of less than 4% and a maximum of 8% in the segment shortly before the crest of the climb). The road is slightly narrower, with four hairpin turns in the first 2km. The descent is extremely technical, on asphalt roads, narrow at points and with a succession of hairpins, twists and turns as far as the junctions with the SS 1 Aurelia. The final part of the descent enters urban Sanremo. The last bend, leading into the home straight, is 750m from the finish line.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3433
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 22:19 »
     305kms is old school.
    The extra kms may balance the loss of the capi.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4129
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:02 »
    and teams can only have 6 riders this year, as RCS wanted to invite a couple more teams.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 07:04 »
    star ratings:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* van Aert
    :*:*:*:* van der Poel, Sagan
    :*:*:* Demare, van Avermaet, Gaviria
    :*:* Bennett, Naesen, Ewan, Bettiol
    :* Gilbert, Matthews, Stybar, Kwiatkowski, Colbrelli

*fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:* van Aert
    :*:*:*:* Démare
    :*:*:* Alaphilippe, van der Poel, Kwiatkowski
    :*:* Sagan, Trentin Ewan, Bennett, Mohoric
    :* van Avermaet, Bettiol, Formolo, Gilbert, Bouhanni, Naesen, Viviani

zero for Alaphilippe in Het Nieuwsblad
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:27 »
    zero for Alaphilippe in Het Nieuwsblad

in today's l'Équipe Alaphilippe says, he currently isn't able to replicate last year's attack on the Poggio. He will try to help Bennett instead.

He may be bluffing (although he didn't look stellar last week either), but if Quickstep really goes full out for a sprint, this could change the dynamics of the race quite a bit of course.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1763
    « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 10:46 »
    Is it really 305km ?

a bit more on the new route, from RCS's press release:

The route had to be modified because of the heavy thunderstorms that struck Alessandria in recent days. Accordingly, the route will be extended by 6km.

6 km + 291 km = 297 km.

The following article say 299 km :
    https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Milan-san-remo-passe-a-299-kilometres/1156205

It dates from 28 July. Possibly they added an extra loop since.

This article by the Telegraph confirms that it is 305 but initially claimed 299 km
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2020/08/08/milan-sanremo-2020-what-time-race-start-tv-channel-route/

Anyway, for some reason, I had in mind that the UCI hadn't allowed longer single-day races longer than 300 km after the reshuffle of the calendar in 1990. So I was wondering which was the last 300+ km single-day race and I had to simply land on the last Bordeaux-Paris edition : 608.5 km in 1988 (winner : Jean-François Rault). Paris-Brussels also had a 300+ edition but that was one year before : 309 km in 1987 (winner : Wim Arras).

But I'm pretty sure that there was a German race in 1990's that exceeded the 300 mark. I can't remember which one though.

Oh and Melbourne to Warnambool in 2004 was 306 km long (winner William Walker). 299 km between 2005 and 2007.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 11:12 »
    yeah, those 6k due to that landslide were added yesterday. No idea if allowed or not, but 305 km should be correct
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3542
    « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 11:32 »
    I am quite sure "landslide" qualifies for an exception to all rules concerning bike race routing anyway  :)

Somewhere on the internet there is a picture of #uae Kristoff and Bystrøm climbing over a rockfall deposit blocking the road on a training ride, they're prepared :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 11:55 »
    Bytroem didn't make #uae UAE's final cut after the team size deduction though ;).

Kristoff will be interesting to see. He has a sensational record in Sanremo, but sounded very pessimistic yesterday, because of the heat, and after having missed the preparation races (Burgos and Geitxo) due to illness
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3542
    « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 12:08 »
    From reading interview with Kristoff's trainer/stepfather (Stein Ørn) - this year is not Kristoff's when it comes to Milano-San Remo. Their training methods are a bit oldschool in terms of Kristoff actually needs hard racing to get in to shape and race even harder. Training alone isn't intense enough for Kristoff to hit that top shape.
    Nevertheless, the two first goals for the season was achieved earlier in the summer (twin boys!) and then he'll race Tour de France to get ready for the Belgian classics. If the season gets that far...  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 12:35 »
    Again a stunning race !

It's amazing that Wout Van Aert can "read" a race so well, while coming from the cyclocross world, which is so different, often less tactical. He's a very smart rider. You could see him on the Via Aurelia. He was really far behind in the bunch. I watched the race on the RTBF** and both commentator Rodrigo Beenkens and Cyril Saugrain - consultant - thought he was in bad shape but then again the bunch was small and it was still possible to move up front. Right on time at the start of the Poggio he was at the front. Then Alaphilippe attacked on the Poggio but Wout was stil lagging a bit too far at that moment and he had produce a huge effort to catch Julian's wheel at that point. Saugrain argued that he paid the price for it in final hundred meters of the climb and that's how he passed by the booth*** a few seconds behind Julian but then again you could see that Julian was passed his limits. Julian missed the first turn of the descent, brushed against the barrier while Wout negociated it perfectly. Then of course, on the streets of Sanremo, Julian refused to take turns. I almost was crazy at him because they were coming very fast back behind but fortunately they were not caught. In the sprint, Alaphilippe seemed like he could outsprint Van Aert but then again the Via Roma is slightly uphill and it favours the more powerful rider that is Van Aert, I think. Which riders have won three cyclocross World championships and Milan-Sanremo in history? Don't look now, there are none.  :P

That's a historical year for Belgium. First Milan-Sanremo victory in 39 years, since Fons De Wolf ! Officially, 21 years since Andrei Tchmil but even though it's hard to know Tchmil's real nationality, we'd all agree that he's not a real Belgian. :lol Since Gilbert won the Tour of Lombardy in 2010, Milan-Sanremo was the only classic that no Belgians had won in the 21st century. Now we are only left with winning GT's.

Next really, I know that I'm saying it every year now but I really appreciate the fact that now year after year, Milan-Sanremo is open for attackers and no longer a race for sprinters. Then you might say that the bunch is not far behind. That's true and possibly in the coming years, it might end again in a bunch sprint but let us remember that this was already case in the eighties. Fons De Wolf and Hennie Kuiper won with a small margin ahead of the peloton. Only Fignon created a huge gap. Then of course in the nineties you first a huge gaps between supersonic riders and peloton until 1997 when sprints gradually became the norm. Now you can see sprinters dropping mightily (Bennett, Ewan, etc) while their elders (Cipollini, Petacchi) could hold on. Another era !

By the way, I don't know if this new route is here to stay but I would really like it that way. It's not really a matter of race toughness but just the landscape scenery is now supreme. They are taking smaller roads, between mid mountain tops and nice clear water streams. Very beautiful ! This being said, the Turchino and the Capi belong to this race just like a whipped cream on a "Dame Blanche", so perhaps we should get back to the classic route.

** I realised that Sporza no longer has rights for Milan-Sanremo. So for the speakers of Dutch, it is VTM but the consultant for VTM is Museeuw, so well I'd rather listen to Saugrain. Anyone remembers that former BigMat Aubervilliers rider from the nineties?  :lol

*** I didn't know that that phone booth on the top of the Poggio still existed. It must be one of the last  still existing phone booths in Italy.  :lol

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7761
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 13:00 »
    *** I didn't know that that phone booth on the top of the Poggio still existed. It must be one of the last  still existing phone booths in Italy.  :lol

That phone booth has become a monument in its own right. And I need it to continue being there - where else would I hand-stop times at the top of the Poggio? ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 17:42 »
    It begs the question : How many people are still phoning in that booth?  :lol

By the way, winning three Cyclocross World Championships and Milan-Sanremo, one was close to doing it and that is Rolf Wolfshohl ! A three-time World Champion Cyclocross in 1960, 1961 and 1963, he came second to Joseph Groussard in the 1963. First declared winner, only the newly invented finish photo gave the victory to Groussard :

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=5400.0
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: Stagiaires 2020 by Leadbelly
    [September 17, 2020, 20:40]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [September 17, 2020, 18:13]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly