collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3630
Re: Critérium du Dauphiné 2020
« on: August 17, 2020, 22:01 »
The French will be  :party but Tibaut will probably be  :flustered

:win prediction of the weekend award.

I am sorry I haven't had much time to participate in the discussion, coming home late from a bike ride this Sunday (delayed start to get sun instead of fog :), I had to watch both the Lombardia and then The final Dauphine stage before I could start reading the comments here. I fell asleep already on the first televised climb, and it wasn't because of the race.  :S

This years Dauphine probably was better than the Tour de France (at least until the withdrawal of #ineos Bernal and #jumbo Roglic) - it almost had the atmosphere of the Tour with many more people along the road than in an ordinary Dauphine. It was a distilled version of the Tour's  alpine mountain stages with the sprints and the time trials evaporated. We got the dreaded mountain trains (and they failed, both of them). We got an open race, with a french breakthrough rider - all the things that would usually set the world (at least France) on end in July any other year.

The only thing we didn't get was TV coverage. Every day TV started with approx 35 kilometers left and by then much of the race had already happened. These weren't the ordinary August entertainment: eventless Vuelta stages with one or two exciting climbs tucked in at the back end for when the cameras start rolling. The stages were Tour de France type with start to finish action points, and as the days went by the controllers (#jumbo and #ineos) lost all their battery and by Saturday all you could do was turn on the TV and realize the race was almost done before you could start watching. Sunday, even worse.

I think this was another nail in the coffin for 3 week races in general. It is not that the TdF or the Giro or the Vuelta are boring, quite the contrary, but do you get 2 weeks extra rewards for watching it end-to-end compared to the good one week races?

Personally, I find that the Paris-Nice and the Dauphine just keeps getting better whereas the Grand Tours are somewhat stagnant.  Add start-to-finish coverage for the Dauphine stages, permanently reschedule to mid-July and only Pinot will complain of the Grand Boucle being gone.  Makes space in the calendar for more good 1-week  races too. 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 22:15 by t-72, Reason: typo »

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:08]

Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:04]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by t-72
    [October 19, 2020, 23:33]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by search
    [October 19, 2020, 22:44]

Re: Roadbooks by Thibautg16
    [October 19, 2020, 18:26]

Re: Roadbooks by search