collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13823
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 9: Pau > Laruns
« on: September 06, 2020, 06:55 »
Tour de France / Stage 9: Pau > Laruns

September 6th

It's time for the annual visit to Pau today, before heading further down the Pyrenees to Laruns. It's only the 3rd time the Tour comes to Laruns, and they little town seems to be happy about it

The stage could be a fun one as well, although it doesn't look too tough on paper:

But the climbs are very non-steady, and with massively steep sections:

I guess the first double climb may come a bit too early for any gc action, but with the rest day in sight, for a team like #bahrain Bahrain or #astana Astana, entering the Col de Marie Blanque full speed, US Postal style, sacrifizing all domestiques before the captain is unleashed when the steep part starts, looks like a reasonable solution to me to move up in GC, or fight for stage win maybe, if the breakaway isn't too far ahead. Especially as the two big favourites Roglic and Bernal didn't look exactly stunning yesterday.

The descent is quite technical then, but followed by 7k of flat. I couldn't find an interactive profile of the finale only, but this one of the full stage will do as well, I guess:

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 105
    Re: Stage 9: Pau > Laruns
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 07:46 »
    With how strong he was yesterday how far from yellow will  Pogačar be?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 07:50 »
    hard to say, really, but let's hope he'll light thingsup again. This should also be quite a good climb for #yellow Yates though?! Usually he is pretty good on that steep stuff.

Going by #groupama Valentin Madouas's daily blog, we can probably expect to see them in the breakaway: "We have now given up on the general classification, that's how it is… Our Tour de France is not yet over: Thibaut will have opportunities in the Alps to go and win a stage and, before that, we also hope to seize an occasion. David [Gaudu] was super strong this Saturday.

I also had very good feelings. We do have the potential to win a stage. And why not this Sunday during the second stage of the Pyrenee already?! In any case that would be the best way to move on ”.

But obviously, there's a long list of others with the same idea as well...
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3471
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:53 »
     The are climbing it from the more difficult side. It's not just steep but narrow, so yes positioning will be crucial and we all know what that means : full speed ahead, as Search says.

At the top there are a few kms of flat, or relatively low gradient descent before the big numbers kick in.

Looking at the general map it's those final kms which seem to twist and turn into Bielle.

Climbing up

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3471
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 19:08 »
    he did alright today, though ;)

If he had waited for the chase group a bit earlier, he probably would have even won the sprint. After a 100k solo
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4144
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 02:31 »
    yeah I was really hoping he could win the sprint. 

Good stage though.  Interesting that JV were so keen to take yellow before the rest day.  Lots of talk about the testing and likelihood of continuing ... crowds have not always been well behaved so wait and see I guess.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by Samuel
    [Today at 07:03]

Re: Stage 1 Monreale › Palermo TT (15km) by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2020, 20:57]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2020, 19:42]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2020-21 by search
    [September 25, 2020, 17:57]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2020-21 by Mellow Velo