collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8683
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Imola 2020 World Road Cycling Championships
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:03 »
Women's TT (Thursday 24th September)

Men's TT (Friday 25th September)

Women's RR (Saturday 26th September)

Men's RR
(Sunday 27th September)

Not too many days away now.

What with the juniors and U23s getting canned, I'm quite glad I didn't waste a weeks holiday to watch this on TV. I'll trust to the gods that I get the Saturday or Sunday off.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3471
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4144
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Imola 2020 World Road Cycling Championships
    « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:07 »
    yep - that is going to be their biggest problem - well that, and Slovenia.

Only have to look at Spain to see how that turns out.   Tuscany Spain had 2 against 1 and still lost ...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3962
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13 »
    Things just got very interesting for the Slovenian squad.

With supposedly both Pogačar and Roglič lining up together, along with the support of Jani Brajkovič, might we see Tadej usher Primož into the  #rainbow?

Now that would make for quite the story.  :cool

Who knows what form Roglič might find himself with next week, and whether or not he'll be the stronger of the two, but the course would seem to suit his abilities, and the prospect of such a victory is just too tempting to ignore.

So here's hoping for another amazing fairy tale to unfold. :pray

(Although a much more likely outcome is that current teammate Wout van Aert rules the day. Such a tangled web.)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3587
    « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 12:21 »
    Should be Niewadoma's best chance at finally winning the rainbows?
    Her Polish fans are unfortunately very likely unable to go this year (very dedicated and very crazy gang roadside in Bergen 2017).  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 517
    « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 12:22 »
    Things just got very interesting for the Slovenian squad.

With supposedly both Pogačar and Roglič lining up together, along with the support of Jani Brajkovič, might we see Tadej usher Primož into the  #rainbow?

Now that would make for quite the story.  :cool

Who knows what form Roglič might find himself with next week, and whether or not he'll be the stronger of the two, but the course would seem to suit his abilities, and the prospect of such a victory is just too tempting to ignore.

So here's hoping for another amazing fairy tale to unfold. :pray

(Although a much more likely outcome is that current teammate Wout van Aert rules the day. Such a tangled web.)

Yes going to be really interesting but being purely rational and trying to take out the emotion, hasn't Pog just shown unequivocally that he should be designated rider;  better to win with Pog, than podium with Rog?

Buy yes will be rooting for WvA!

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 12:50 »
    better to win with Pog, than podium with Rog?

Point taken.  :P

But lets's not be too hasty here. If Tadej were to win Worlds as well, he may well have to ride much of next season dressed in something like this, but with rainbow stripes strewn across the front.
     :o

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 14:54 by Drummer Boy, Reason: resized photos »

Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 517
    « Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 13:39 »
    Very true  - however luckily UAE jersey the single most boring in the peloton - so no biggie re any add ons!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7771
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 13:57 »
    Should be Niewadoma's best chance at finally winning the rainbows?
    Absolutely.
    She was very strong in the Giro Rosa, and those short steep climbs are tailormade for her. The team will be fully in support of her, and those are some good riders.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 15:36 »
    Very true  - however luckily UAE jersey the single most boring in the peloton - so no biggie re any add ons!  :cool

It is a #uae jersey, all the addons come in a very narrow band across the chest so it wouldn't look anything like those flamboyant costumes you are dreaming of, guys!

(That team should be outlawed in all national championships - too ugly national champions' jersey rule!  :D )
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 10:30 »
    Absolutely.
    She was very strong in the Giro Rosa, and those short steep climbs are tailormade for her. The team will be fully in support of her, and those are some good riders.

and No Van Vleuten or Vos this year  :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 11:58 »
    and No Van Vleuten or Vos this year  :(
    Vos is selected?
    And even Van Vleuten hasn't ruled out doing the road race yet (notwithstanding whether that would be a good idea for her long-term health).
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 13:57 »
    I thought they were both out due to the crash in Giro .....

hmmm
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 16:39 »
    I thought they were both out due to the crash in Giro .....

hmmm
    Vos only has a bit of road rash and is fine otherwise. She finished the Giro Rosa.
    Van Vleuten - yeah. Broken wrist doesn't sound great, but apparently it was simpler to operate than first thought, and on Saturday she wasn't ruling out to start the Worlds. And as of yesterday, she is still on the #teamnl list: https://nos.nl/artikel/2349269-gesink-zegt-wk-af-dumoulin-en-van-vleuten-staan-nog-wel-op-de-lijst.html
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 02:30 »
    No love for the squad that did so well last year? :slow  :(

They announced it weeks ago!  :P

*usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa

Elite Women’s Individual Time Trial

Chloe Dygert
    Amber Neben
    Lauren Stephens

https://twitter.com/usacycling/status/1308090966608408580

Elite Men’s Individual Time Trial
    Lawson Craddock
    Brandon McNulty

Elite Women’s Road Race
    Krista Doebel-Hickok
    Chloe Dygert
    Amber Neben
    Coryn Rivera
    Lauren Stephens
    Tayler Wiles
    Ruth Winder

Elite Men’s Road Race
    Lawson Craddock
    Brandon McNulty
    Sepp Kuss
    Neilson Powless

*usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa *usa
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 05:00 »

The NBC Olympic Channel is covering all four races live!  :cool
    #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow

Of course I was still skeptical of this being the case, even though it's posted on the USA Cycling website. But upon further investigation, not only is it already listed in my channel guide, but as of the moment of this post, they're actually replaying last year's World Championships! I'll take that as confirmation of their commitment to race coverage.
     :)

It begins with reasonable viewing times for me:

Women's iTT - Thursday, 8:40 am ET
    Men's iTT - Friday, 8:25 am ET

But then...

Women's RR - Saturday, 6:45 am ET

Men's RR - Sunday, 4:00 am ET :S
    With pre-show beginning at 3:45 am.  :flustered

I'm just happy to have coverage.  Also, it must be a slow month for the Olympic channel because they're offering replays of the races throughout the afternoon and evening as well. :cool

And with excellent weather forecast here through the weekend, I'll be out the door and on the bike each day, with plenty of time to enjoy a beautiful Fall season. Hitting the road with a nice, post-race buzz is always a bonus!
    :win

#rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow #rainbow
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:44 by Drummer Boy »

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 05:31 »
    Glad to see Sepp Kuss riding.  I hope he does well.

I was super disappointed to find that the Giro Rosa was not actually included in the GCN Pass in Australia ... so all I got was a highlights package the next day (which is better than nothing, but not quite the live racing that I was expecting).

I have really enjoyed the womens racing this year.   Just shows that if they actually broadcast it, people might watch  :o
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 06:01 »
    I was super disappointed to find that the Giro Rosa was not actually included in the GCN Pass in Australia ... so all I got was a highlights package the next day (which is better than nothing, but not quite the live racing that I was expecting).

The highlights package was all there was anywhere.

It did cause a bit of a brouhaha. The organizers said in response

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-rosa-hits-back-at-complaints-about-no-live-television-coverage/

“We are fully aware of the importance, we could even say of the need, of live television broadcast of our race. This urgency has been in our thoughts since the first day we planned this year's race and the same live broadcast should have happened,”

“However, the situation that the whole world is experiencing in recent months does not escape anyone. The COVID-19 pandemic has put every possible human activity in check, upsetting the plans of every workplace. Added to this is a great difficulty, known to all insiders, to find space in the television schedules. For this reason, with deep regret, we are unable to ensure the live television of the race.

“Having to choose, we have decided to protect the women's cycling movement and give up on live coverage; allowing the women to compete, which they absolutely need, especially in light of the many other canceled races.

“We can only repeat that we regret the decision but we are also certain and proud to have acted exclusively in the interest of the cycling movement.”
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 09:02 »
    There wasn't a live broadcast anywhere, GCN only showed an 'as-live' delayed broadcast. And the *au rights for that lay with SBS, I think - which is why it wasn't available on GCN Down Under.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13823
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 12:41 »
    after one year without (road) racing, Chloe Dygart turns up tomorrow in the women's ITT to defend her #rainbow jersey, he hasn't even worn once. Will be interesting to see if that, plus the fact that she "being honest, [...] really don’t even like bikes" is the right approach to go into the Worlds ;)

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/chloe-dygert-on-preparing-for-the-cycling-road-world-championships-without-racing/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 13:37 »
    after one year without (road) racing, Chloe Dygart turns up tomorrow in the women's ITT to defend her #rainbow jersey

A curious interview, indeed.

Although...

I didn’t race much last year either, so I really am used to this preparation.

sounds like she might still be a threat.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13823
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 14:20 »
    yeah, sure, that was probably the most impressive performance ever last year, when it comes to women's ITT
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 14:51 »
    It's seems a bit sad that the defending champion, #rainbow #teamdk Mads Pedersen, won't even be at the start line due the nature of the course.

I understand that the route is hilly, but avoiding that doesn't seem to reflect well on the #rainbow.

Of course that's easy for me to say from the comfort of my home, but try explaining the meaning of "World Champion" to someone unfamiliar with the sport.  I just find his absence unfortunate, as is the fact that he had so few opportunities to even show off the Rainbow Jersey in 2020.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 18:55 »
    It's seems a bit sad that the defending champion, #rainbow #teamdk Mads Pedersen, won't even be at the start line due the nature of the course.
    I agree that it is sad he's not lining up.
    However, it's not only because of the nature of the course. He's scheduled to start the BinckBank Tour with #trek on Tuesday, with the road race being held Sunday.

Mind you, I don't think the BinckBank Tour ('just another stage race') is reason enough not to do the Worlds (WORLDS!), but apparently Mads P and #trek beg to differ. And the team will want him to focus on and be in tip-top shape for the spring autumn classics.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3471
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 20:26 »
    I agree that it is sad he's not lining up.
    However, it's not only because of the nature of the course. He's scheduled to start the BinckBank Tour with #trek on Tuesday, with the road race being held Sunday.

Mind you, I don't think the BinckBank Tour ('just another stage race') is reason enough not to do the Worlds (WORLDS!), but apparently Mads P and #trek beg to differ. And the team will want him to focus on and be in tip-top shape for the spring autumn classics.

Me three.
    Especially as Sunday's weather looks as if it is going to turn distinctly Northern European. Harrogate revisited.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 22:26 »
    *no update - #jumbo Amund Grøndal Jansen not racing the road race as he is a bit tired after the TdF. Instead we get the Euroterror from the Tour of Columbia this January and recent Malopolska stage winner, #unox Torstein Træen.

I am not sure he is able to deliver much for a race at the highest level, but he sure can climb better than Jansen Valverde.  Probably not a bad replacement, given the parcours.

---
    Speaking of parcours, just how hard is it really?  Like Firenze or Ponferrada? Strong allrounders played a very important part there, I am not sure it has to be a climber.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 01:24 »
    Especially as Sunday's weather looks as if it is going to turn distinctly Northern European.

:win 

:cool 

:D
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Recent Posts

Re: Stage 1 Monreale › Palermo TT (15km) by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2020, 20:57]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly