collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3609
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
TDF 2020 - Stage 18: Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron 175 km
« on: September 16, 2020, 17:59 »
Stage 18: Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron 175 km

The course of the day is made for the most enduring climbers. Indeed over 4,000m of climbing will be on the menu. In the following order, the peloton will head up to the Cormet de Roselend, then the Col des Saisies followed by Les Aravis and finally the Plateau des Glières, a key location of the French Resistance, before continuing towards La Roche-sur-Foron. – Christian Prudhomme

The 18th stage on the Tour de France runs parallel to the borders with Italy and Switzerland through the Alps. At 168 kilometres, the race travels over five intermediate climbs to a downhill finish in La Roche-sur-Foron.

Following an extended false flat the uphill party gets going on the Cormet de Roselend. The climb to the summit at 1,968 metres is 19 kilometres long and the average gradient sits at 6%.

Linking the Beaufortain Valley to the Mont-Blanc massif, Cormet de Roselend has been ridden 11 times by Tour riders since 1979. The latest rider to lead the race at the top was Warren Barguil in 2018.

No rest for the wicked. The descent runs onto the Col de Saisies, which is another long ascent (15 kilometres) although the average gradient is moderate at 6.1%.

Following a short stint in the valley the Col des Aravis appears – 6.7 kilometres at 7% – before the riders fly down a 20 kilometres descent to the foot of the Montée du plateau des Glières.

he core of the race is expected to be the steep and partly unpaved Plateau des Glières. Is the Tour going to be decided in this spectacular scenery?
The Plateau des Glières climbs for 6 kilometres at 11.2% and never drops below 10%. After reaching the limestone plateau the route continues on 2 kilometres of false flat gravel roads. Two years ago Froome punctured on this stretch. It happened without consequences, as it was still a long way to the finish line.
This time the Montée du plateau des Glières is only 20 kilometres away from the finish.

The first three riders on the summit pocket time bonuses of 8, 5 and 2 seconds.

The finale is played out on the Col des Fleuries, which is a climb at shallow gradients – 5.5 kilometres at 4.6% – before the last 10 kilometres rund downhill into La Roche-sur-Foron.

The battle for yellow is likely to ignite on the flanks of Montée du plateau des Glières, although riders with limited time trialing skills may opt to strike earlier with an all-or-nothing attack.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14023
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    this could potentially be the best stage of the Tour, also nicely placed after the high-altitude monsters today.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Pogacar's not quite as good as expected showing today also brings the #kom battle back to life, by the way.

There are 47pt available tomorrow, but also 10 for the best climber in the time trial, which probably means that the top 8 still stand a chance (even if it theoretically goes down even further):

RANK NAME POINTS
    1      #kom   POGACAR Tadej      66
    2      #jumbo   ROGLIC Primož      63
    3      #astana   LOPEZ Miguel Angel      51
    4      #ag2r   COSNEFROY Benoit      36
    5      #bbhotels   ROLLAND Pierre      36
    6      #ag2r   PETERS Nans      32
    7      #ineos   CARAPAZ Richard      32
    8      #sunweb   HIRSCHI Marc      31

9      #trek   PORTE Richie      28
    10      #bora   KÄMNA Lennard      27
    11      #jumbo   KUSS Sepp      26
    12      #cofidis   HERRADA Jesus      25
    13      #deceuninck   ALAPHILIPPE Julian      25
    14      #bbhotels   PACHER Quentin      24
    15      #trek   SKUJINS Toms      24
    16      #ntt   GOGL Michael      24
    17      #ccc   GESCHKE Simon      22
    18      #israel   MARTIN Daniel      21
    19      #movistar   MAS Enric      20

Carapaz looked strong today, but may be (more than) a bit tired. Hirschi said he doesn't care about it and prefers a 2nd stage win instead. But I guess Rolland and Peters will give it a go to get in the breakaway and score as many points as possible.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8876
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    The other big question is whether Coquard will make the time limit. Just squeaked in today with Debusschere sacrificing himself for him.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3986
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Pogacar's not quite as good as expected showing today also brings the #kom battle back to life, by the way.

:win   :D

So that means that Lopez will be wearing #kom for Stage 18, as Pogacar will be in #white?

Either way, a worthy rider finally acquiring the polka dots.  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    So that means that Lopez will be wearing #kom for Stage 18, as Pogacar will be in #white?

no, #kom has precedence over the white jersey. So Pogacar will be in dots, Mas in #white
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    The other big question is whether Coquard will make the time limit. Just squeaked in today with Debusschere sacrificing himself for him.

yeah, this will be tough, also because Bora has indicated that they may have plans for today to get #green by riding Bennett out of the time limit.

Coquard is still struggling with his knee after the crash last week, by the sound of it

(gt) "A difficult situation! Jens waited for me in the Madeleine and he drove the whole valley. I didn't pass him for one turn and did the last climb as best I could. I don't know what keeps me going at that point… I've picked up so much today that we'll see tomorrow, ”commented Coquard at the finish.

As for Jens Debusschere, he left the Tour, obviously disappointed but with the satisfaction of having done his job until the end. “I tried to stay with Bryan on the last pass but I just couldn't take it anymore. I knew that I could not make it on time with the very high percentages. I saw Lopez arriving on the giant screen with 9 km left. In the end, we had the choice to save Bryan or me, the choice was quickly made. "

https://www.letelegramme.fr/cyclisme/tour-de-France/bryan-coquard-sauve-par-jens-debusschere-16-09-2020-12619042.php
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Naughty Bora.
    I noticed that the road drags up from the gun, to the sprint point and onto the Cormet de Roselend.
    Anyone out the back before that point is going to struggle.

Definitely a chance that a big group comes home OT and Bennett gets docked points....

One way to get back in the game when you keep getting out-sprinted.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3309
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    Is that a very steep 200m altitude climb after 6km, or a blip in the profile?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7792
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Is that a very steep 200m altitude climb after 6km, or a blip in the profile?
    They're going through a tunnel there - one they forgot to 'delete' from the profile. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3309
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    That's a relief, 1km at 20% after 6km would not help Sam Bennett's hold on the green jersey.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4135
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    not really an Ineos fan - but this was a wonderful win, great teamwork, great work together and they thoroughly deserved the win.

So glad they gave it to Kwiatkowski.   
  • ReplyReply

•