collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13962
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Ardennes Classics (Brabantse Pijl)
« on: September 29, 2020, 18:41 »
La Flèche Wallonne

October 30th

The 84th edition of the Flèche Wallonne is starting from Herve, a village 15 kilometres east from Liège. The peloton will then ride across the Wallonia countryside to later reach Huy, where it will enter a 32-kilometre circuit due to be ridden three times.

The route around Huy has been slightly revamped to avoid the Côte de Cherave, unavailable due to construction works and replaced by the Côte du Chemin des Gueuses.

The start list is fairly low-profile this year, with guys like #rainbow Alaphilippe taking a break from the World Championships, and others preparing for the Giro. On the bright side, that could potentially lead to a more open, aggressive race maybe, instead of the usual sprint up the Mur de Huy.

#jumbo Tom Dumoulin was a late addition to the start list today, but his team doesn't sound too confident about his chances - and not backing my theorey about a more open race either ;) : . “We don’t know what role Tom Dumoulin can play tomorrow,” says his DS at Jumbo-Visma, Franz Maassen. “We have to see whether he is fully recovered from the Worlds, but normally this will only be a training race for him ahead of Sunday’s event.” The Dutch squad will back the chances of youngsters Lennard Hofstede and Jonas Vingegaard. “I think this Flèche Wallonne will be more or less ridden the same way it usually is, with a bunch getting to the foot of final climb and an uphill sprint for the win. Although many riders are tired after the Tour de France and the World Championships, this won’t affect how the race pans out.”

Another rider just coming from the World Championships is #sunweb Marc Hirschi, and his squad sounds way more ambitious: “I think a top 5 is a realistic goal for Marc [Hirschi], but if he is on a good day he can even deliver a podium performance,” says Team Sunweb’s DS Michiel Elijzen. “He is one of the best riders on the world on short, steep climbs like Huy.” The Dutch coach identifies “Tadej Pogačar or Michal Kwiatkowski” as the top contenders for victory. “Normally Flèche Wallonne ends in an uphill sprint with a reduced peloton, and I think that won’t change this year. The sole factor that could alter this is the weather, and it looks fine for tomorrow. Therefore, most teams will focus on giving their leader the best possible shot on the Mur de Huy - although I think we will see more attacks before the final climb than in previous years.”
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 15:55 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3612
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Re: Ardennes Classics (Flèche Wallonne)
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 20:19 »
     Eurosport player has updated their schedules and it looks like they will have live coverage of the women's race:

Fleche Wallonne | Uninterrupted Coverage

10:10-11:35

Men's race:
    Fleche Wallonne | Uninterrupted Coverage

12:00-16:00 both timings are BST so +1 for CET.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7794
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 08:31 »
    Eurosport player has updated their schedules and it looks like they will have live coverage of the women's race:
    They will! For the first time ever.

Although I remember watching the women's final ascent of the Mur as an insert in the men's broadcast once, many, many years ago, this will be the first time that the final of the women's race is broadcast in its entirety.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:15 »
    in the end it turned out to be the same kind of Flèche as usual

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Re: Ardennes Classics (Liège Bastogne Liège)
    « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 07:19 »
    Liège Bastogne Liège[1]

Sunday, October 4th

Last year, Liège-Bastogne-Liège went back to holding its finish line in the centre of the Ardennes city after 27 straight years ending with an uphill finish on its suburb Ans. Jakob Fuglsang took advantage of this set-up already in 2019, when he accelerated with 16 kilometres to go, up the Côte de la Roche-aux-Faucons, to later launch his winning attack at its small, follow-up hill, the Côte de Boncelles. “It’s the change we were hoping for,” says route designer Jean-Michel Monin. “In previous years, riders waited until the eleventh hour at the Côte de Saint-Nicolas, 5 kilometres from the finish, to try and break away. The Roche-aux-Faucons is the key climb now, and that forces the favourites to attack earlier and provides for a more exciting finale. This year we can picture an outcome similar to 2019, although I only see one guy capable of pulling out such exploit: that’s Julian Alaphilippe, and only if he is in the same shape he was in Imola. In any case, the 90 final kilometres are very demanding and we can expect a very reduced group to contend for victory in the closing stages of the race.”

Last Sunday, Julian Alaphilippe crowned himself UCI World Champion in Imola. Showcasing his recently attained rainbow jersey for the first time, the Deceuninck-Quick Step rider will try to finally net victory at Liège-Bastogne-Liège after placing 2nd in 2015 and 4th in 2018. Given his current shape and his knowledge of the event, he will be the man to watch - a favourite role reinforced by the last-minute absence of four-time winner Alejandro Valverde. “I’m very happy to honour the rainbow jersey by wearing it for the first time on a race such as La Doyenne,” said Alaphilippe on a virtual press conference. “It’s one of the races I’ve long dreamt of winning, and this is a new chance for it.” It’s not usual for the rainbow jersey to triumph in this race, though. Only 5 out of the 105 editions of Liège-Bastogne-Liège ended with the rainbow jersey raising his arms, with wins by: Ferdi Kübler, in 1952; Rick Van Looy, in 1961; Eddy Merckx, both in 1972 and 1975; and Moreno Argentin in 1987.

Already victor at Wednesday’s Flèche Wallonne, Marc Hirschi is going to try and double-up his Ardennes Classic winning tally this Sunday at Liège-Bastogne-Liège. “We knew he had a big potential, but lately everything seems to be falling into place for him,” says his DS at Team Sunweb, Michiel Elijzen. “Tomorrow it will be a more difficult race to win, though, because there are way more cards and scenarios to play. It’s a longer, more challenging route, and the quality of the field is higher. The weather will play a part, too, as the headwind will make for a slow pace at the beginning, when heading south. Another big factor for the outcome is that no one will want to be a on a breakaway group with Julian Alaphilippe or Marc Hirschi. Deceuninck-Quick Step has multiple riders capable of winning, and we have a good back-up option in Tiesj Benoot. Anyways, it’s hard to predict how the race will pan out.”
     1. Source of all text: ASO Press Release
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 07:22 »
    Star ratings:

*fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:* Alaphilippe
    :*:*:*:* Hirschi
    :*:*:* Kwiatkowski, Woods
    :*:* Yates, Pogacar, Schachmann, van der Poel, Barguil
    :* Cosnefroy, G. Martin, Roglic, D. Martin, Porte

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Alaphilippe
    :*:*:*:* Hirschi, Kwiatkowski
    :*:*:* Woods, Yates, Schachmann
    :*:* van Avermaet, Landa, Pogacar, Cosnefroy
    :* Wellens, Benoot, Roglic, Porte, Kämna

(Het Nieuwsblad came out before MvdP was announced to start)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3630
    « Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26 »
     :S
    Da fook?
    #ineos Chris Froome starting in a monument?

I don´t really believe it until I see it but...as Oslo has been in a dust cloud (from high winds blowing dust off dried-out farm fields in eastern Europe) I haven´t been able to see all the pigs flying around here!

This automatically makes him outsider tip for the win. That guy, if in shape, in the right attack, is extremely hard to reel back in, and since he´s not #rainbow Alaphilippe or #sunweb Hirschi, there may be another strong rider or three that will attack and ride with him. Many will think he´s the guy they can beat in a finale.

However, most likely he´s still not ready for the Vuelta and just getting some race km´s under his helt.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8785
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 09:29 »
    I thought Guillaume Martin looked pretty sharp at the Worlds. A good performance (top-5 or better?) again today wouldn't surprise me.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3612
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 18:17 »
    Just watched the race.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alaphilippe is a liability. Somewhere down the line he is going to cause somebody to have a serious injury.
    He didn't just balk Hirschi, he almost took him down too. All in the space of a km.
    Reminds me of a kid playing on a scooter.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6802
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 12:19 »
    Just watched the race.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alaphilippe is a liability. Somewhere down the line he is going to cause somebody to have a serious injury.
    He didn't just balk Hirschi, he almost took him down too. All in the space of a km.
    Reminds me of a kid playing on a scooter.

Yes indeed, it was a poor show at the end of what was otherwise a very exciting finale. Ruined the sporting aspect of it regardless of the safety one.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4149
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53 »
    Yeah. Deserved the relegation and the humiliation of all that happened.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1777
    « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 13:16 »
    Hello,

I haven't seen the race but I wanted to say somehting.  :D

I'm very glad that they removed the Saint-Nicolas climb. I don't know if it's the first edition or the second one. I know that last year, they ended the route in Liège downtown for the first time in 20 years. I think it's also a good idea to replace it by a climb earlier in the race : Côte de Mont le Soie (before live coverage begins?). This all favours long range attacks. Are there now more attacks on the Redoute or is it still a procession train?

I'm still not fully satisfied with the new route though. In my opinion, the Côte de la Vecquée is a pillar of Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Roche aux faucons should be removed as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7794
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 15:54 »
    Are there now more attacks on the Redoute or is it still a procession train?
    It was still a procession on the Redoute, pretty much. Early attacker #ccc Michi Schär was even out front still.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3630
    « Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 21:31 »
    Are there now more attacks on the Redoute or is it still a procession train?

It was still a procession on the Redoute, pretty much. Early attacker #ccc Michi Schär was even out front still.

This one time Lukas got this wrong.

The correct answer is: More attacks on La Redoute, because the women are racing!

(#trek Lizzie Deignan did it.)  :cool

Just a small section of in this highlights reel at 1 minute out:

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3983
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 01:34 »
    I only learned of these results on Sunday night!!!!  :o
     :lol :lol :lol :lol

Good for Marc Hirshi! :win :cool

Very happy for him.  :)

But I'm even happier for...Primož Roglič! :win

#rainbow :D  :-x #rainbow :D  :-x #rainbow :D  :-x #rainbow :D  :-x

I have no words.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Re: Ardennes Classics (Brabantse Pijl)
    « Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 16:01 »
    De Brabantse Pijl - La Fleche Brabanconne

Wednesday, October 6th

The classics season continues in the Brabantse Ardennes tomorrow - usually a transition race between the cobbled and the hilly classics, but this time it's the other way around.

After the cancellation of the Amstel Gold Race, many of the hilly classics contenders seem to have decided to give this one a go as well, meaning that the startlist includes prominent names like #rainbow Julian Alaphilippe, #alpecin Mathieu van der Poel, #ineos Michal Kwiatkowski. #ag2r Benoit Cosnefroy or #arkea Warren Barguil. As the usual contenders like #bahrain Sonny Colbrelli or #lotto Tim Wellens are around as well, it should result in a pretty fun race to watch.

There's one hour of coverage on Eurosport 2 on from ~16:30, after the finish of the Giro.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:08]

Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:04]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by t-72
    [October 19, 2020, 23:33]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by search
    [October 19, 2020, 22:44]

Re: Roadbooks by Thibautg16
    [October 19, 2020, 18:26]

Re: Roadbooks by search