collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13962
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
[WT] Ronde van Vlaanderen
« on: October 17, 2020, 16:39 »
Ronde van Vlaanderen

October 18th

At a fairly unusual time of the year, the Ronde van Vlaanderen takes place tomorrow. Unfortunately, for financial reasons, the Muur is missing this year, but apart from that, it's more or less the same parcours which has produced some great races over the past years:

Also the startlist features more or less the usual suspects, plus the World Champion, #rainbow Julian Alaphilippe

Het Nieuwsblad has published their star ratings in today's edition already:

:*:*:*:*:* van Aert
:*:*:*:* van der Poel, Alaphilippe
:*:*:* Pedersen, Bettiol, Benoot
:*:* Lampaert, Trentin, Kragh, Küng
:* Asgree, Teuns, Vanmarcke, Naesen, Stuyven

It's Alaphilippe's first participation, so personally I wouldn't put him that far up the order, but if he's still there in the finale, he could still be a danger man of course. And Küng deserves an additional star, I would day. He looked super strong in Gent Wevelgem last week, and if van Aert and van der Poel start watching at each other gain, he surely has everything it needs to benefit from that.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 17:00 »
    due to sickness, #jumbo Wout van Aert has just lost his strongest team mate, Mike Teunissen. He'll be replaced by Bert-Jan Lindeman. This could make things quite a bit more difficult for him...
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1777
    « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 01:03 »
    The Van der Poel - Van Aert rivalry brought to road ! I'm so delighted. Six years ago I had the pleasure to witness their rivalry on the U23 cyclocross circuit and then the elite cyclocross circuit. That's so great for cyclocross. If only Alaphilippe could get back to cross, that could be great too. His crash is a shame but I don't think he could blame it on bad luck. It's just an inattention mistake. I think he's less fast in the sprint than Mathieu anyway.

Mathieu Van der Poel has now won both Amstel Gold and the Tour of Flanders while still a full time cyclocrosser ! Just amazing ! So Mathieu and Wout are proving that combining both is now possible, just like in them good old days ! Adrie predicted it !

De Vlaeminck said he would be the one to break his Paris-Roubaix record (without any kind of bitterness!). I think this year's cancellation might be what could save it.  :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1777
    « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 10:10 »
    My memory has lapses. I somehow had in mind that Mathieu Van der Poel was the first Dutch winner of the Tour of Flanders since his father but I forgot about Terpstra's 2018 victory. I don't even remember how it happened.

So Terpstra is actually the only non Van Der Poel Dutch winner since Johan Lammerts in 1984.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 523
    « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:19 »
    What a cracking edition - just what I hoped for, Alaphilippe's crash was unfortunate and robbed us of an even more thrilling finish; but more than happy to see the best two riders in the world go head to head for the monument.  Roll on spring 2021
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 22:44 »
    I agree that it was nice to see van der Poel and van Aert fighting for their first win from early out, but to be honest, for me personally it also meant that there was an element missing I like most about the Ronde: riders anticipating the moves of the big favourites, and thereby creating a battle between the outsiders and the big guys (or even ending up in the fight for the win).

I mean, when the favourites attack with >50k to go already, there's just not much room anymore to do that. Sure, it could be a one-off only, but going by van der Poel's riding style, I guess it's unlikely.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3630
    « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 23:33 »
    .... going by van der Poel's riding style, I guess it's unlikely.

My thoughts exactly. After having seen a couple of cyclocross races with that man, I think it is a disaster if not Wout Van Aert is there too. He just goes from the gun or maybe a bit later on the first or second lap and then there's no one that even sees him the rest of the race.  They're gonna VanVleutenize/VanDerBreak men's road cycling too!  :-x

Bring back tactical racing!  Where is #tde Terpstra when #uae Kristoff needs him?   :angry

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:08]

Race News 2021: Rumours, Dates, Parcours and Wildcards by Leadbelly
    [October 22, 2020, 11:04]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by t-72
    [October 19, 2020, 23:33]

Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen by search
    [October 19, 2020, 22:44]

Re: Roadbooks by Thibautg16
    [October 19, 2020, 18:26]

Re: Roadbooks by search