collapse

skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 1042
  • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
2021 CQ Game Thread
« on: December 28, 2020, 18:01 »
NOTE: Due to early season cancellations of races, I've extended the deadline for team submissions from January 21st to January 28th. Please see bolded edits below for details

Hi all, and welcome to the 2021 CQ Ranking Manager Game! This is the eleventh edition of the game, wow! Please see below for some history, basics, and more specific rules related to dates, dopers, etc. 2020 was anything but a normal year, but mostly the "normal" rules will apply to the 2021 game, although note the later start to the season means a later deadline for team submissions.

History

The game was launched on December 8th 2010 by cyclingnews forum poster Hugo Koblet. His idea was to have a game where you build a cycling team from the website cqranking.com and its comprehensive numerical rankings of riders. What was originally meant to be a 25-team max competition that Hugo reserved the right to cancel if there was lack of interest became the most successful game in cyclingnews forum history, and has expanded to velorooms forums as well.

Hugo successfully ran the game for 3 years, and it bred various offshoots, such as a youth game, seasonal games (classics and GTs), emerging riders and riders in decline games. I took over organizing the main game for 2014 when Hugo got too busy, and have done so for the past seven years. See the second post in this thread for a roll of honour of yearly champions.

That is it for preamble. Let’s go through the more comprehensive set of rules:

Basics

The game is based on the point system developed by the website www.cqranking.com. Based on this system you will have to select a team of between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points. 7500 points is normally under the mean for the ProTour teams, but due to reasons we are all painfully aware of, the mean for 2020 is 5528. 7500 is closest to the amount of points Team Ineos made this season, the 4th ranked of the 19 WT teams. So you can get a pretty good team with 7500 points!

Your aim then is to select a team of riders who will increase their 2020 score the most during the 2021 season. The winner of the game is the one who has selected the team with the highest combined value when the game ends.

1. How the game works

1.1. Start & Finish

The season starts when the first major race (.1 or higher) giving CQ points is held* and ends when the last major race is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race is out.**

*normally, the game season starts when the first race giving out points is held, which is usually the Aussie nationals soon after the new year. However, with covid-scheduling pushing those back to early February, the first race as far as the game is concerned is the Vuelta San Juan starting January 24th. There are currently a few 2.2 races scheduled before then, but any points scored by riders in those races will be reflected in the first update.

*NOTE: with the cancellation of San Juan and the Mallorca races, the first scheduled race .1 or higher is GP Marseillaise on Jan 31st.

**An extension will be granted to the end of season if it is very close at the top. If any teams are within 100 points of the leader after the last major race, the season will be automatically extended until the final race of the year unless all teams within 100 points explicitly concede. As well, anyone in the top 10 can extend the season by PMing me a request to do so before the last major race starts.

(The reason for this second rule is that although minor races go through December, it is rare to have a rider in the game participate in these races, so it is sensible to end the season when people are still generally watching cycling. But if it's a very close race, it's important to crown the person who picked the best team for the year.)

1.2 Updates

Each week we will publish an update with a top 10 and a list of the high scorers and high jumpers. This will sometimes be by me, and sometimes by others – I will be setting a tentative schedule based on volunteers.

2. On doping

2.1. On ex-dopers

All riders are available to choose, except for riders who are provisionally suspended by the UCI (as of their most recent list).

Riders who have been suspended for doping and had that affect their 2020 score will not be available simply for their 2020 score. Instead, a rider’s value will be equivalent to that of his last full season; or, if he has more recently had a (not full, due to suspension) season in which he has earned more points, that season represents his value. Riders who have been suspended by the UCI (ie. Not merely provisionally suspended) are on this list.

Therefore, you can pick any rider you like, but if you want to take Kristian Koren, for example (his suspension ends in 2021), he got 41 points in 2019, but that is a partial season as his ban ended mid-season. His positive result and suspension came from 2019, meaning his last 'full' season was 2018, in which he scored 91 points. He scored fewer points in his 'partial' 2019 season, so his cost is his last 'full' season. But if he had scored, say, 300 points in 2019, that would be his cost instead.

Hopefully the lists I've provided and the rules are clear enough, but if you make an error I will try to let you know if any of your submissions fall into this category.

2.2. Riders getting caught during the season

If you include a rider in your team who gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, nothing happens right away. Your rider keeps his points unless the cqranking.com deletes his results before the end of the game.

Basically, the value of a rider on cqranking.com always stands.

3. Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?

You pick between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points and send the list to me.

As I will manually have to include the teams into the Microsoft Excel file which keeps track of the scores, please be careful that you send your team to me based on the correct formula. I don’t take any responsibility for any error you might make. If I spot an error I will do my best to contact you but I can’t guarantee anything. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask either here in this thread or by sending a personal message.

The layout you need to use is this:

ROGLIC Primoz

POGACAR Tadej

Etc.

Nothing else. No point scores after the name. Also, be careful that there is no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually, but can't always detect these things in time for the game. If there is an error that isn't discovered until after the game starts, and that error makes your team ineligible (eg. if it puts your team over the limit) the rider will simply be deleted from the team without replacement.

To make things easier for both you and me I will link to a file for you to download in which you can type in your team and it will automatically show you the value of each rider as well as the aggregated value of your team. Then you will just have to copy your team (names only) directly from this file and send it to me.

Hopefully this clears any misunderstandings of a rider’s value as well as reduces the number of errors made in a team sent to me.

3.2. When do I?

The first race of the season will start January 24, so I want to have your team in hand on January 22 at the latest.

NOTE: the first race of the season is now January 31st, so I want teams by January 29th. That is one week later than the original post.

There are two deadlines: a submission deadline and a revision/publication deadline, spaced 24 hours apart. This is to address the issue brought up in recent years about whether it is 'fair' to allow changes after teams have seen the teams of other players, and for 'late' submissions. I would like to make this a game that is accessible to as many people as possible, yet preserve that element of fairness. So, the submission deadline will be when I want to have received all the teams. The revision and publication deadline is to allow a 24-hour period for me to look over the teams and allow a chance to people to change their team in case of error, before having access to a list of riders that other teams picked. If you get mixed up with the time zone or unexpectedly don't have internet access around the submission deadline, I will accept teams up to the revision deadline at my discretion, but if allowed those teams will not have the chance to revise in case of error.

The submission deadline is 23:59 (CET) January 21st, so early January 22nd for Aussies and sometime earlier on January 21st for North Americans[/s]. NOTE: the submission deadline has changed to 23:59 CET January 28thThe revision and publication deadline is 24 hours later; I would ask that people refrain from posting the riders on their team until after that, so midnight CET on the start of January 24th.

Please note that even though the racing season is over,  it is always possible that CQ will adjust points for an earlier season race for whatever reason (eg. readjusting points for suspended dopers) Be mindful of these changes.

cqranking.com usually uploads the final update of the season on December 31, and the values in this update are the ones we’re using. However, the changes are usually very small so there’s no reason why you can’t start selecting your team already today!

Disclaimer: ensuring your team is full of eligible riders and is on budget is your responsibility. If I notice you are over budget or have an ineligible rider I will send you a message, but if you don't get back to me in time, or I don't catch it before the deadline, I will simply remove one rider to make your budget work. Obviously it is to your advantage to be able to choose all your riders, so please be diligent.

Create Your Team

Hugo created a very helpful file in 2012, referred to above, that helps avoid any errors in calculation and helps ensure you are formatting your rider names correctly. I would encourage everyone to use this option, especially if you are not confident in your spreadsheet creating skills. Please use the file attached here to create your team, then copy and paste the rider names to send to me by PM once you have it correct. Thank you.

note: the 'create your team' file has not yet been manually updated to include different scores for dopers as per rule 2.1, so it is currently wholly your responsibility to account for this.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 23:22 by skidmark »

skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    Re: 2021 CQ Game Thread
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 18:02 »
    I'm going to reserve the second post in the thread for a list of teams who have submitted, as they come in, as well as list an honour roll of top finishers throughout the years.

I'm going to reserve the second post in the thread for a list of teams who have submitted, as they come in, as well as list an honour roll of top finishers throughout the years.

As of 8pm CET on January 26th, the following 47 teams have been submitted and confirmed (teams with asterisks next to their name need revisions before final approval):

1   Jon_Ezeitza
    2   comodoro
    3   Martin
    4   Koronin
    5   Bonimenier
    6   R_O_Shipman
    7   Lortnoc
    8   armchairclimber
    9   vladimir
    10   NorthAmericanScum
    11   Hakkie2
    12   just some guy
    13   scrooll07
    14   sneekes
    15   Leadbelly
    16   zaka_fan
    17   search
    18   Armchair Cyclist
    19   bminchow
    20   Kazistuta
    21   EvansIsTheBest
    22   Eric10
    23   triley36
    24   Fivezzz
    25   will10
    26   rote_laterne
    27   Hugo Koblet
    28   Earns1985
    29   Mellow Velo
    30   VeloRooms
    31   Amis Velo
    32   ray10
    33   Rebecops
    34   Nevs**
    35   Bicing
    36   Salvarani
    37   Blues in the bottle
    38   Nicosix**
    39   Nakazar
    40   Total Package**
    41   Jpettersen
    42   FASTnotFURIOUS
    43   PremierAndrew
    44   Tigerion
    45   Otoxiep87**
    46   Muddy Waters**
    47   tom-jelte

Also, here is the role of honour from previous years:

2011 – 87 participants

ingsve – 13897 points
    Waterloo Sunrise – 13450
    mc_mountain – 12670
    2012 – 129 participants

skidmark – 19345 points
    Kvinto – 18087
    Nyssinator – 17761
    2013 – 132 participants

SteelyDan – 13094 points
    Geraint Too Fast – 13074
    will10 – 12986
    2014 – 150 participants

Pentacycle – 14367 points
    Cykeltyven – 13693
    Ruudz0r - 13609
    2015 – 155 participants

Cykeltyven – 16209 points
    skidmark - 15616
    snccdcno - 15412
    2016 – 144 participants

skidmark – 15392 points
    jeroenk - 14707
    abbulf – 14448
    2017 – 131 participants

fauniera – 15867 points
    the asian - 15698
    GP Blanco - 15217
    2018 – 129 participants

ruvu75 – 16513 points
    Squire - 16099
    trackstand - 15832
    2019 - 114 participants

1. fauniera - 14579 points

2. karaev - 14399

3. Hakkie2 - 14260

2020 - 113 participants

1. bminchow - 10010 points

2. Wallenquist - 9520

3. Object- 9173
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 19:13 by skidmark »

skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 18:13 »
    A couple of quick things:

- first, if you saw this posted on CN last week and were wondering why it wasn't here yet, sorry about that. I had login issues when I posted last week and then got too caught up in family holiday things. The start of the season is still a ways away so it is still up with more time than usual.

- a couple of people asked about Groenewegen in the CN thread. Although his suspension isn't for doping, I've decided that being suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct as severe as his is in the same spirit as that rule, so he will cost his 2019 cost, for both this and the next edition of the game.

- I noted above that I won't be processing any teams until after the new year, so although you can feel free to submit if you have a team, don't worry if you don't hear back from me right away.

I'm excited velorooms is back up and running! Always love the vibe here.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:18 »
    Hey, just a heads up - I am taking the next several days to take a vacation at the cabin, I will be without  internet until January 5th. I will start processing teams soon after that - I see I have a couple of submissions already, I haven't gotten back to you but I will after the 5th! There will still be over two weeks until deadline after I get back, so I will be more present after that. Hope everyone has a good new years, see you in 2021.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8942
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 17:11 »
    That's my team in. :cool

Despite telling myself that I would stick to just WT and PCT in these uncertain times, I've somehow got 4 CT riders in my team, but what the hell eh.

Still I've ended up with over 20 WT riders, so that's a definite shift to previous years.

Just looking down at the team another thing strikes me.....not many GC riders. In fact I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if I got one GT GC top-ten. We'll see how that pans out.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 23:33 »
    NOTE: I've extended the deadline for team submissions for one week due to the cancellation of early season races. See edited opening post for more detailed/specific info
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 19:11 »
    Alright, I'm getting in the CQ spirit again! 2 days and 4 hours until the submission deadline, then one more day until the publication/revision deadline. I'll be back to post a few countdown/update posts, and will be trying to respond to submissions as quickly as I can. I have almost 50 teams so far, so hopefully they keep flowing the next few days.

Just a note - I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but since I have received 4 submissions with his name, here it is in bold:

**NOTE: I have made a specific rule to deal with the unique case of Dylan Groenewegen, who is facing a long suspension for a non-doping offense. Briefly, he is to be treated the same as dopers, available for his 2019 cost for both the 2021 and 2022 editions of the game.

That means he costs 1207 points, not 116.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3355
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 11:29 »
    I hope Skidmark won't mind a slight hi-jacking of the thread, but all those promising young riders that you unearth in trying to come up with a team for this game needn't go to waste if they don't make your final cut: they might be the backbone of a team for the ​Emerging Riders CQ game​​​, and if you do fail to make the deadline here, you have three extra days there.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 15:02 »
    8 hours until reveal time... how's everybody doing? This thread had been very quiet! I'm getting excited for the season, hopeful that the early season cancellations are a short-term trend and that we'll be seeing lots of racing come March, and then a full season of following the ups and downs of the CQ game.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 16:43 »
    Well I'm not staying up till midnight for the big reveal, but it will be fun to see the other teams in the morning.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11458
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 19:33 »
    Well I'm not staying up till midnight for the big reveal, but it will be fun to see the other teams in the morning.

Me too plus my team which I have forgotten :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 275
    • Awards: 2019 Vuelta prediction champ2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 00:16 »
    These guys will get me a solid midpack placing:

EWAN Caleb
    SAGAN Peter
    MATTHEWS Michael
    ASGREEN Kasper
    HIGUITA GARCIA Sergio Andres
    BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
    WELLENS Tim
    BARDET Romain
    NAESEN Oliver
    IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Ion
    MOLLEMA Bauke
    URAN URAN Rigoberto
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
    GARCIA CORTINA Ivan
    VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN) Michael
    BUCHMANN Emanuel
    OOMEN Sam
    JUNGELS Bob
    POLITT Nils
    SARREAU Marc
    VANMARCKE Sep
    SOSA CUERVO Ivan Ramiro
    PIDCOCK Thomas
    KRUIJSWIJK Steven
    LATOUR Pierre
    JANSEN Amund Grøndahl
    EIKING Odd Christian
    ALEOTTI Giovanni
    CHAMPION Thomas
    PICCOLO Andrea
    WANDAHL Frederik
    DE PLUS Laurens
    BRENNER Marco
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 01:33 »
    Okay, here's a bare bones version of the spreadsheet if you wanna take it for a test run and peruse it. Note that aside from the Rankings tab and the individual team pages it links to (as well as the popularity tabs), the rest of it is a bit of a ghost town... I keep a sheet for the start of the season with prior contestants so I don't have to make new tabs, so there are way more tabs than participants, I've only edited down the Rankings page links to who's in this year so far. All other stuff will be edited in the next week (before week 2 update when the weekly leaders etc start to matter). But have a look!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 09:50 »
    Rote nice team quiet a few in common with me
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 10:00 »
    Team JSG
    EVENEPOEL Remco
    EWAN Caleb
    YATES Simon
    MATTHEWS Michael
    BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
    WELLENS Tim
    MASNADA Fausto
    BARDET Romain
    MCNULTY Brandon
    NAESEN Oliver
    VIVIANI Elia
    O'CONNOR Ben
    HAMILTON Lucas
    GILBERT Philippe
    BOL Cees
    OOMEN Sam
    JUNGELS Bob
    POWER Robert
    CALMEJANE Lilian
    DILLIER Silvan
    POLITT Nils
    HAMILTON Chris
    PIDCOCK Thomas
    LATOUR Pierre
    GALLOPIN Tony
    FROOME Chris
    MÄRKL Niklas
    HERMANS Quinten
    PRODHOMME Nicolas
    SAEZ BENITO Hector
    UMBA LOPEZ Abner Santiago

Big #ag2r influence  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    « Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 10:17 »
    Big #ag2r influence  :-x

Yeah, that's what worries me a bit too.

Also guys what didn't fit into my team I might regret: Teunissen and Bol who might be better picks than Paret-Peintre and Valgren but I like the latter two just better. That's also why I did not have to change my team after the Dumoulin news.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14078
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 14:48 »
    my team for 2021:

RIDER PRICE POPULARITY
    ALAPHILIPPE Julian      1247      27
    EVENEPOEL Remco      918      39
    SAGAN Peter      767      55
    MATTHEWS Michael      639      23
    BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley      450      83
    LUTSENKO Alexey      397      31
    TEUNS Dylan      385      18
    BALLERINI Davide      353      5
    NAESEN Oliver      344      42
    GARCIA CORTINA Ivan      251      17
    GILBERT Philippe      208      18
    VALGREN HUNDAHL (ANDERSEN)       200      18
    TEUNISSEN Mike      172      34
    BUCHMANN Emanuel      157      79
    BISSEGGER Stefan      145      19
    JUNGELS Bob      136      61
    ARU Fabio      124      14
    POLITT Nils      89      65
    VANMARCKE Sep      70      62
    SARREAU Marc      70      43
    DEKKER David      70      10
    MOSCON Gianni      69      39
    KRUIJSWIJK Steven      57      72
    PIDCOCK Thomas      57      76
    LATOUR Pierre      49      61
    JANSEN Amund Grøndahl      35      33
    GALLOPIN Tony      33      23
    DE PLUS Laurens      5      56
    BRENNER Marco      0      31
    HAVIK Piotr      0      5
    HERMANS Quinten      0      11
    REYNDERS Jens      0      2
    ZWIEHOFF Ben      0      5

mainly fairly obvious choices this time - although there would have been another 100 of those of course, there was no room for in the end ;).

Bissegger is a bit of a risky one with his focus on the Olympics, but I hope he'll still get enough opportunities to show what he is capable of. Also no idea what Zwiehoff can do, but Bora said his numbers are extraordinary, so it was worth the gamble - although I was a bit sad having to leave out the Appo-Jet ;).

Ballerini has a lot of potential I think, so happy to see him being so rare. Geraint Thomas is probably the rider I am the most worried about not having on in my team.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 17:55 »
    No Haussler JSG? Yeah I agree with you that he's probably not a good pick. :P

Also no idea what Zwiehoff can do, but Bora said his numbers are extraordinary, so it was worth the gamble

I noticed he did well on some zwift-esque climbing competition at the end of the year. Beating Roglic and a couple of riders in H2Hs and only just losing to Almeida in the final. He was on my team for a while, but got the heave-ho to make way for some ICA devo riders.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 18:09 »
    You mean world Cx champion Haussler LB :D

Except for Power and Hamilton not  very JSG team which is weird.

At 1 stage I had GVA in there and was like 50% current or leaving 1 team is even weird for me, had to stop :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14078
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 18:10 »
    I noticed he did well on some zwift-esque climbing competition at the end of the year. Beating Roglic and a couple of riders in H2Hs and only just losing to Almeida in the final. He was on my team for a while, but got the heave-ho to make way for some ICA devo riders.

okay, I didn't follow any of that, but if Bora comes to Sibiu again (although not too likely, apparently) I may have someone to cheer for at least ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 18:27 »
    I-SUN Represent

WOODS Michael
    VANMARCKE Sep - Don't usually like one trick cobble ponies, but he's dirt cheap
    NEILANDS Krists
    GREIPEL André
    FROOME Chris - I really can't see him getting anywhere back to what he was, but it will be fun watching the hullabaloo
    RENARD Alexis* - Starting to show some glimpses of talent

ICA Represent (My 4 CT riders. Hopefully they'll be able to wangle a decent calendar)

JONES Taj*
    BOUCEK Jakub*
    BEN MOSHE Yuval* - Fairly certain his national service is done, so able to concentrate fully on cycling now. A second Israeli winner this year?
    GOLDSTEIN Edo*

Big Picks

ALAPHILIPPE Julian
    SAGAN Peter - On the decline, but add back in the Classics that he missed due to the Giro, and a favourable Worlds course and he should ratchet up the points again.
    PEDERSEN Mads - Was pretty rubbish early in the '20 season, but a different rider after the lockdown. Interested to see how his sprinting progresses.
    COSNEFROY Benoît
    TEUNS Dylan - A jack of all trades is my ideal kind of CQ pick.
    TRENTIN Matteo
    CICCONE Giulio

SSFR Dominators (Tactical picks for once!)

MOZZATO Luca
    LAPORTE Christophe
    STEWART Jake
    PAJUR Markus*
    LAWLESS Christopher

Young Guns

HAILU Biniam Girmay - The Delko situation is worrying as his agent is Hunter
    VALTER Attila
    HAMILTON Lucas
    VERMEERSCH Florian - Similar to Pedersen. Classics man and a sprint
    CHAMPOUSSIN Clément
    NOVIKOV Savva* - I like what Kern are doing over in Spain, so I had to have some of their riders to follow.
    REPA Vojtech

Randoms

MÜHLBERGER Gregor* - We'll have to see how much freedom he gets. Movistar's team classement focus might mean he picks up some GC points even when domming.
    TEJADA CANACUE Harold Alfonso
    AVILA VANEGAS Edwin Alcibiades* - Should be the top scorer for Burgos this year. Don't get too excited as that feat would only have required 93 points last year.
    SWIRBUL Keegan

I've asterisked the uniques.
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    « Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 21:28 »

Big Picks
    COSNEFROY Benoît

SSFR Dominators (Tactical picks for once!)
    STEWART Jake

Young Guns
    CHAMPOUSSIN Clément

I especially like these picks. I think they are really exciting and I strongly considered myself. Cosnefroy was one of the first riders in my team but he didn't make the cut in the end.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #22 on: January 31, 2021, 15:43 »
    rote laterne!!!!! Unique pick Paret-Peintre! Congrats on the early season win. By my quick count nobody has Boudat and Coquard both, and literally nobody had 4th and 5th place, so there's a good chance 1st will be yours.

edit: you've got Wellens in 6th too so that's a good chance for sure!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 15:55 by skidmark »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 15:56 »
    56 points for me so far, so team JSG doing ok

Nice work Rote
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Domestique
    « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2021, 21:39 »
    Thanks. This one was quite surprising but I started well a couple of times and in the end I found myself in the beaten field.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 20:59 »
    Update #1: Rote Learning

The season is underway! Points have been scored. Although it's not the traditional season start with the Aussie nationals followed by a fallow week (or sometimes Tropicale Amissa Bongo) then the TDU, I think for most of us we are glad to have racing. The postponement of the Mallorca races and cancellation of San Juan pushed back the start to the CQ game by yet another week, but in the end it's not that much different in terms of the first week point opportunities. Aussie nats are 100 points for the win, Marseillaise was 80, and of course there are further points usually from the Aussie TTs and NZ champs, the points already scored in January from NZ as well as Tachira are included in this update.

With so few points on offer and a few popular riders on the startlist in Marseille, there was the chance for a logjam at the top. But in the end, I don't think anyone expected Aurelien Paret-Peintre to take the win. Well, with maybe one exception.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank   Team   Points
    1   rote_laterne   120
    2   Hugo Koblet   100
    3   yoyokt   96
    4   Boris98   77
    5   Crevaison   76
    5   LaFlorecita   76
    7   Jon_Ezeitza   72
    7   postmanhat   72
    9   just_some_guy   68
    10   manafana   64
    10   Object   64

Normally I only list the top 5 in the weekly updates, but since it's week 1 there's no High Movers list (as everyone started out tied for first, no one moved up) so I have some room. Plus it's the first update of the season so maybe people wanna luxuriate in expanded standings.

At any rate, long-time game participant rote_laterne gets off to a great start, seeing their team's unique pick take 80 points for the win in France. That alone would have been good enough for a top 3 this week, but rote also had Wellens (28 points) and Eiking (12 points) to leave no doubt. Game founder Hugo Koblet breaks triple digits to land in second, as one of five teams with second place Thomas Boudat (48 points), as well as 28 from Wellens and 24 from Trentin. yoyokt rounds it out just behind with 96 points from five riders (Coquard, Trentin, Calmejane, Benjamin Thomas and Boasson Hagen).

Green Jersey Competition

Rank   Team   Total
    1   rote_laterne   45
    2   Hugo Koblet   35
    3   yoyokt   30
    4   Boris98   26
    5   Crevaison   21
    5   LaFlorecita   21

For those new to the game (or if you need a reminder), this sub-competition keeps track of who has the highest average finish every week. The points are based off of TdF Green Jersey flat stage points (from the mid-2010s; I like that layout better than the reformed ones the last handful of years). So it goes 45-35-30-26-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2 for the top 15 each week, accumulating points all season. In case of a tie in points for the week, I average the scores, which is why Crevaison and LaFlorecita each get 21 points for the spots that would give 22 and 20 if they weren't tied. Anyway, this week obviously the top 5 of this competition reflect the top 5 of the one week we've had so far. Those standings will jumble as the season goes on.

Top 10 Overall

Well, I guess that's also above! Okay, my work here is done. Sixty eight of our 93 teams got points this week, but they will get more chances this week with the suddenly stacked field at the Etoile de Besseges, as well as the rescheduled Australian National Championships.

Spreadsheet at dropbox
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 21:11 »
    Good to see my maths is as good as my CQ picks
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 11:52 »
    Oz Nats ITT was good
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: February 07, 2021, 16:38 »
    Not too bad a week I think
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 05:17 »
    Update #2: Etoile de Besseges sees a three-star constellation atop the standings

Racing is underway, whee! It's not the multi-country, overlapping-stage-race gallop of the regular early season, but it has provided us with the unique experience of having normally overlooked races chock full of top-level talent and a sharpened focus for cycling fans. This week, there was the Etoile de Besseges 2.1 stage race in France, as well as the normal season-opener of the Aussie National Championships (although the top scoring riders there were not among the more popular picks).

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank   Team   Points this week
    1   Hugo Koblet   334
    1   Boris98   334
    1   Hakkie2   334
    4   Gigs_98   317
    5   Armchair cyclist   314

Interestingly, after a single day's racing last week produced a single winner at the top with a unique pick winning Marseillaise, this week's 5 days of racing produces a 3-way tie at the top, with 3 teams having the exact same combo of 6 scoring riders! And not even all of them are super popular picks. Great minds think alike, it seems. Of course the belle of the ball this week was winner Tim Wellens (145 points, 18 teams), who was a must have. But the whole podium also had Nils Politt (66 points, 65 teams), Christophe Laporte (51 points, 32 teams), Greg Van Avermaet (46 points, 33 teams), Timothy Dupont (20 points, 13 teams) and Pierre Latour (6 points, 61 teams). And no other riders scoring for any of these three.

This Week's High Movers

Rank   Team   Up/down
    1   LosBrolin   (+42)
    2   Devils_Elbow   (+38)
    3   Salvarani   (+34)
    4   Otoxiep87   (+33)
    5   FASTnotFURIOUS   (+31)

Well, that's a different listing! Of course things are quite movable in the first few weeks, and LosBrolin was in the right spot after last week to be able to move up nearly half the table. No Wellens for their team, but GvA and Politt make an appearance, buffered by a solid start from Jake Stewart (56, 5 teams) and 27 from Lucas Hamilton 16 teams. Devils Elbow (same combo less Hamilton plus Latour) and Salvarani (same as Devils Elbow with Laporte in place of Stewart) round out the podium.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank   Team   Total
    1   Hugo Koblet   71.67
    2   Boris98   62.67
    3   rote_laterne   47
    4   LaFlorecita   41
    5   Hakkie2   36.67

Some repeat scorers this week! As well as some messy looking scores due to the tie at the top. As per the rules, the top 3 teams split the top 3 points (45-35-30) 3 ways, leading to some non-integer values. The top 3 teams overall scored last week and are now over a single week's max points for the game. Hugo Koblet is in the lead by 9.

Top 10 Overall

Rank   Up/down   Team   Points
    1   (+1)   
    Hugo Koblet
    2   (+2)   Boris98   411
    3   (+2)   LaFlorecita   388
    4   (+11)   Gigs_98   369
    5   (+22)   Hakkie2   367
    6   (-5)   rote_laterne   362
    7   (-)   postmanhat   360
    8   (+2)   manafana   348
    9   (+30)   Armchair cyclist   342
    10   (+5)   Northerner   340

Speaking of our dear founder... he's on top! Hugo Koblet gets the winner's wreath and has to go through the post-race doping controls and press conferences in order to have his moment in the sun on the podium, in first with 434 points. Boris98 is having a strong debut in 2nd overall, and longtime youth game manager LaFlo rounds out the top 3! Congrats you guys. Almost 5.8% of last year's rider cost scored already.

This week is another little nibble on an appetizer for the season to come, with another 2.1 race in France, the Tour de Provence. As of this writing, the Classica Almeira is slated to go ahead on Sunday, the last Spanish race standing on the early-season calendar. But with no new news of freshly cancelled races, fingers crossed that things stabilize and this is the rockiest period of the season.

Spreadsheet at dropbox
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [March 04, 2021, 10:50]

Re: le Samyn by t-72
    [March 02, 2021, 08:03]

Re: le Samyn by t-72
    [March 02, 2021, 07:55]

Re: le Samyn by Mellow Velo
    [March 02, 2021, 07:39]