collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14097
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
le Samyn
« on: March 01, 2021, 16:15 »
le Samyn

Tuesday, March 2nd

The cobbled classics season in Belgium continues with le Samyn on Tuesday

Since the introduction of the final circuit a couple of years ago, basically all races have been great, and although the unusually sunny weather at mild temperatures (on paper) may make the race less selective this time, the presence of #alpecin Mathieu van der Poel should make up for that.

Some of the other bigger names lining up are #deceuninck Florian Senechal, who never finished worse than 5th in Dour over the past five years, #lotto John Degenkolb, #israel Sep Vanmarcke & last year's surprise winner Hofstetter, #cofidis Jempy Drucker, #qhubeka Victor Campenaerts, #alpecin Merlier & Philipsen, #total Terpstra, Petit & Gaudin + some very promising youngsters (and Cavendish), among others from #unox:

#wallonie Milan Menten mentioned that this race was a major goal of his spring campaign, so while some others may take it more as a preperation race, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

There will be live coverage on Eurosport tomorrow afternoon, first for the Women at 14:00, and on from 15:15 for the men.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3695
    Re: le Samyn
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 20:30 »
    If the sunny weather continues I am a bit worried about how the final circuit is going to work. There are a few "tight spots" which can get very busy with a large group or even a near complete peloton. I don't remember the name of the place but it is a usually dark narrow and slippery cobblestone alley with at least one turn in the middle (I remember the place because August Jensen went down there, and lost the rest of the season, can't remember the year...)

It may be easier in better weather if there isn't any slippery mud on the cobbles, but then again: squeezing a 100 man group through those tight turns, it is going to be difficult.

Forecast suggest daytime high temperatures of about 16 degrees and sunny.

I quote Eurosport expert Henrik Evensen (who used to live in Belgium when racing for SEG): "I really wish everything to go well for these guys (talking about the #unox team, many of whom were his teammates previously) but.... this weather shouldn't be allowed in Belgium this time of the year!"
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14097
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 22:32 »
    I don't remember the name of the place but it is a usually dark narrow and slippery cobblestone alley with at least one turn in the middle (I remember the place because August Jensen went down there, and lost the rest of the season, can't remember the year...)

It may be easier in better weather if there isn't any slippery mud on the cobbles, but then again: squeezing a 100 man group through those tight turns, it is going to be difficult.

that's the section going past the wall I think, isn't it? "Chemin de Wihéries", in Honelles, usually good for some film noir style pictures ;)

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3661
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39 »
     Usually one of my favourite races of the season. I just hope I get to watch it live, but I am finally due to get a permanent boiler fix around the same time.
    The startlist certainly is a bit more spicy than normal.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:55 »
    that's the section going past the wall I think, isn't it? "Chemin de Wihéries", in Honelles, usually good for some film noir style pictures ;)

Spot on, right there!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:03 »
    Usually one of my favourite races of the season. I just hope I get to watch it live, but I am finally due to get a permanent boiler fix around the same time.
    The startlist certainly is a bit more spicy than normal.

I beg to pardon. No #trek  Alex Kirsch this time  :TT because weather to nice?

https://twitter.com/alexkirsch92/status/1366509127468519426

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1366487035645681664

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/1366482760068702212

(for new readders, when Kirsch was much younger than today,  he was one of 2 riders battling in the wettest muddiest darkest gloomiest cobbles race I ever saw live on tv...made me an instant fan of the race!)

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.