collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2052
Just like last year, Alaphilippe won being clearly the best man in the race. I again admit disappointment as a Lowlander - Belgian, wishing either Van Aert or Van der Poel to claim the title. This time they have little excuse as the course suited them better but I guess the season has been longer for them. Is it possible that Alaphilippe better peaked than his two main rivals? In my opinion, he didn't have such a great season, thus far. Wout and Mathieu peaked for the Olympics, not for the Worlds (despite Worlds in Belgium). Kudos to Stuyven racing really at home (he's from Leuven). Probably so eager to win that he didn't even podium.

If my memory is still with me, Alaphilippe is now the first French dual World Champion.

If you don't include the Wolber GP which was the unofficial World Championship between 1922 and 1926, then you have

Georges Speicher 1933 #rainbow
Antonin Magne 1936 #rainbow
Louison Bobet 1954 #rainbow
André Darrigade 1959 #rainbow
Jean Stablinski 1963 #rainbow
Bernard Hinault 1980 #rainbow
Luc Leblanc 1994  :-x #rainbow
Laurent Brochard 1998  :-x #rainbow
Julian Alaphilippe 2020-2021 #rainbow

It's not gonna be for this year that we have a World champion in both cyclocross and road race.

It's now been 9 years since the last Belgian title, claimed by Philippe Gilbert. Next year it will be equal to the longest period ever without any World title for Belgium. The previous one was 10 years between Marcel Kint (1938 #rainbow ) and Brik Schotte (1948 #rainbow ), this being of course due to WWII. So in normal circumstances, there's never been such a long gap between two Belgian World titles.     
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [August 13, 2022, 21:30]

roadbook by le gac
    [August 13, 2022, 17:15]

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [August 13, 2022, 13:50]

Re: Vuelta a Espana 2022 - General Discussion by Armchair Cyclist
    [August 13, 2022, 11:17]

Re: Vuelta a Espana 2022 - General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [August 12, 2022, 10:25]

Re: Vuelta a Espana 2022 - General Discussion by Leadbelly