collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14468
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
#teamat collided with a bus during the recon today. One rider is off to hospital, so I guess they won't take part in the race

https://twitter.com/rob_televisie/status/1440627644043706377

edit: seems to have been a road race recon, not for the TTT. So shouldn't affect today's participation
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9265
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Men's Junior RR (122.03km)

Just laps of the finishing circuit for the junior men.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Men's U23 RR (161.36km)

Short course for the U23s and less climbing than the juniors. :S

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Some short highlights from the last editions of these races just to get us in the mood.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3902
    I am having a relatively rough time at work and on top of all that there´s a health crisis involving one of my family members so I can´t really give this race the attention it deserves. However, it seems like it is going to be a very open and very tactical race where the right body needs a head on top and some luck in order to win. I can´t see that there´s a very clear favorite, it is anything-can-happen. However, it is home roads, and Belgium of course have  strong team

** *be Thibau Nys
    * *be *be *be *be *be *be any other Belgian guy (Florian Vermeersch?)
    * *no/#unox Søren Wærenskjold

Your time has come to shine  :D

So, please copy/paste and fill in the missing favorites from my list.  Or delete them…  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7914
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Wonder what happened with her joining Parkhotel Valkenburg mid-season but I was too polite to be that weird masked guy interrupting her peace just to ask a daft question!
    In a nutshell, Cronos-Casa Dorada-Burgos Alimenta-Women Cycling Sport aren't quite what they pretend to be.
    This was evident in early 2020 already, with no bikes, no kit, and no wages, but the Covid lockdown came just in time for the team to sort out some sort of kit and race program for late summer & autumn.
    Neylan had joined the team for 2020, and stayed on for 2021 (for a lack of other offers?), but didn't get any races after March, and eventually she left.

Reading between the lines in her transfer announcement, that Spanish team isn't exactly great:
    https://twitter.com/rachneylan/status/1422609752689979395
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Men's U23 RR (161.36km)

Short course for the U23s and less climbing than the juniors. :S
    Hey, it's important to start in Antwerpen and do a completely flat and boring run-in ... and then the transfer from the Leuven circuit to the Overijse circuit, and back again! :S :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Women's Junior RR (75.07km)

Slightly smaller field than the Junior Men's, but we'll probably still get a crash-fest on the first couple of laps.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Women's Elite RR (157.15km)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    some strange lineups, in general. Seems like most teams don't really know how selective it's gonna be either. Surely too hard for Cav, Ackermann oder Ewan?!

You changed your mind on this after seeing what happened today in the U23?

I might have to eat some humble pie if Kristoff pulls it off and I think, if he was in form - which he isn't, Ewan would have a good chance too.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    not really, no, I'd still say it's gonna be fairly selective.

For today's women's race, interestingly Wielerflits didn't give a single :* star to van Vleuten ("not her course") or van der Breggen ("not in shape")

Het Nieuwsblad on the other hand, gave van Vleuten a lot of stars.

:*:*:*:*:* van Vleuten
    :*:*:*:* Blaak, Kopecky
    :*:*:* Longo Borghini, van Dijk, Vollering
    :*:* Vos, Norsgaard, van der Breggen, Balsamo
    :* Brand, Deignan, Brennauer, Blanka Vas, D'hoore

Let's see who is right
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    For today's women's race, interestingly Wielerflits didn't give a single :* star to van Vleuten ("not her course") or van der Breggen ("not in shape")
    Van der Breggen has said from the beginning that she would be a domestique today - and she was.
    Van Vleuten did all she could, but it really wasn't her course at all.

The Dutch were more or less in control the whole race ... until the final kilometre when the Italian sprint train took over and no Dutch equivalent was to be found, leaving Vos to jump on Balsamo's wheel on her own. Longo Borghini did a long leadout, then Balsamo just kept Vos behind her for the #rainbow biggest victory of her career so far.
    Niewiadoma - who had been very active in the final - took the final podium place.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Men's Elite RR (267.49km)

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4192
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Seeing how early in the day most of the races have taken place, I likely wouldn't have seen them anyway, even with live coverage. I'll try for the Men's Road Race, though, tomorrow.

That being said, how would any of you rate this week, thus far, overall? :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    TTs - Deadly dull, but what can you expect

TTT - Not bad actually

RR - They've been okay. All of the races have had at least decent action in the last two laps (~30km) which is something. I think my main issue is that a lot of the winnowing is down to crashes or being held up by crashes, especially on one corner on the Leuven circuit. Also the Flandrien circuit so far has not seen any racing really which seems a shame, maybe that will change today with the extra distance.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Ok let me write down some exceptionally favorite favorites that no one can think of

*** *be Wout van Aert
    ** *nl Mathieu van der Poel, *fr Julian Alaphilippe
    * *uk Tom Pidcock, *sk Peter Sagan, *dk collective

So I think top-rank cyclocross or MTB performance is a definitive plus, I reckon. From the more conventional road-racing categories I think it is Denmarks collective strength that is most likely to succeed. They have a team of 4 potential winners and they are well supported.

Kristoff is mentioned but I think he´s lacking the form he needs to win here. May be perfect for next weekend  ;) 
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Aren't you forgetting a couple of people? :P

:onfire1 :onfire1 The Colbrelli Collective

:onfire1 The Mohoric Massive
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Aren't you forgetting a couple of people? :P

Nope, I am trying to stick to the 1x1-2x2-3x3 regulativene but had to cheat a little with the danes…  :D

I think the ability to accelrate about 200 times in a race strongly favors cyclocross and MTB experience. Mohoric and Colbrelli would have been on my list for a more converntional roadrace. This is more like Kermesse with some 150 km qualification for the final.

As in all the other road races, it is very open and more or less anything can happen on the final laps.  A strong rider will win and it will be a championship to remember.

(As *no Eiking said in the pre-race interviews: «This looks like it is going to be a great day for cycling, it looks almost as good as in Bergen»[1]).
     1. His interviews (in Norwegian) are weird, today they ended up with an entirely fictive discussion on what Eiking would do to win the race, where Eiking was talking about the rider Eiking in third person
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    here is what the newspaper think:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* van Aert
    :*:*:*:* Colbrelli, van der Poel
    :*:*:* Alaphilippe, Cort, Mohoric
    :*:* Pogacar, Matthews, Senechal, Pidcock
    :* Evenepoel, Sagab, Ewan, Stuyven, Asgreen

*fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:* van Aert
    :*:*:*:*
    :*:*:* Alaphilippe, Evenepoel, Colbrelli
    :*:* van der Poel, Pidcock, Valgren, Asgreen, Cort, Trentin
    :* Roglic, Hirschi, Pedersen, Sagan, Senechal
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    personally I think Mohoric looks great to podium, by the way, from basically every scenario. I guess van Aert will win, but could see a surprise as well. Moscon (always super strong at this time of the year) with a late attack, or maybe Laporte in a sprint.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    personally I think Mohoric looks great to podium, by the way, from basically every scenario. I guess van Aert will win, but could see a surprise as well. Moscon (always super strong at this time of the year) with a late attack, or maybe Laporte in a sprint.

I have to admit I was thinking about Moscon too, but I think the hills are too short and there are too many accelrations for him.

The strange guy in the lineup for *be is Evenepoel, because he´s most likely to cause damage to himself but also because there must be other Belgian cyclists that can offer a wind shadow so big it can actually help for van Aert. However, more seriously, if van Aert has a flat tire on the way in to Leuwen the last time, do you think Evenepoel will drop back to help him?   
    (This looks like a setup for a new «Boasson Hagen vs Kristoff» controversy kicking off in the mixed zone after finish…)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    WT

#rainbow Alaphilippe
     2nd Van Baarle
     3rd Valgren

ProTour

#rainbow Van der Poel
     2nd Hoelgaard
     3rd Schoenberger

CT

Errr nobody I think

Amateur

#rainbow Soto
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Actually, Alaphilippe tried the same move in 2017 too, but failed to open decisive gap. If this is 3rd attempt, maybe time for *fr to hire a creative manager to come up with some new idea? Someone got to find a way to stop this…

https://twitter.com/uci_cycling/status/1442156233226534912

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    This thread needs a list…
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1927
    Just like last year, Alaphilippe won being clearly the best man in the race. I again admit disappointment as a Lowlander - Belgian, wishing either Van Aert or Van der Poel to claim the title. This time they have little excuse as the course suited them better but I guess the season has been longer for them. Is it possible that Alaphilippe better peaked than his two main rivals? In my opinion, he didn't have such a great season, thus far. Wout and Mathieu peaked for the Olympics, not for the Worlds (despite Worlds in Belgium). Kudos to Stuyven racing really at home (he's from Leuven). Probably so eager to win that he didn't even podium.

If my memory is still with me, Alaphilippe is now the first French dual World Champion.

If you don't include the Wolber GP which was the unofficial World Championship between 1922 and 1926, then you have

Georges Speicher 1933 #rainbow
    Antonin Magne 1936 #rainbow
    Louison Bobet 1954 #rainbow
    André Darrigade 1959 #rainbow
    Jean Stablinski 1963 #rainbow
    Bernard Hinault 1980 #rainbow
    Luc Leblanc 1994  :-x #rainbow
    Laurent Brochard 1998  :-x #rainbow
    Julian Alaphilippe 2020-2021 #rainbow

It's not gonna be for this year that we have a World champion in both cyclocross and road race.

It's now been 9 years since the last Belgian title, claimed by Philippe Gilbert. Next year it will be equal to the longest period ever without any World title for Belgium. The previous one was 10 years between Marcel Kint (1938 #rainbow ) and Brik Schotte (1948 #rainbow ), this being of course due to WWII. So in normal circumstances, there's never been such a long gap between two Belgian World titles.     
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6803
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I did the last few days the wrong way round. I saw the race and then I previewed the "Flandrien circuit" which is, of course, my former backyard anyway.

It took a little while to reach the area that constituted the “Flandrien circuit” of the Worlds parcours and the stiff wind was not in my favour. I tried to go easy on the small hills before I got there and took a few shortcuts following roads I almost never take whenever I’m over that way.

The first climb I reached was the Smeysberg. The barriers were still standing and, after taking a quick photo, I set off up the ramp and tried to take in all the text and images that had been laid down by fans and perhaps sponsors (some of the art looked way too classy to be the work of a roadside amateur) while I suffered on the climb. There were stylised faces of the top men and women and the names of lots of nations with lists of their selected riders.

I cleared the top of the climb and marvelled at the beautiful new asphalt which the locals would now enjoy for years to come. I passed the skeleton of the big marquee which had been my base the other day. It was hard now to pinpoint the swimlane in which our party had stood. Indeed there was no trace of fancy décor left, one could have sheltered and milked cattle under the empty structure.

Descending the Holstheide in the same direction as the race had but in the opposite direction to the one taken by the Brabantse Pijl, I quickly found myself in Terlanen and started on the Moskesstraat. I think it was the first time I’d ridden this one since the Primus Classic sportive in 2015. I was always a bit scared of the greasy cobbles back then but now I saw confirmation during my moments of pain that the entire road had been restored last year and a certain kind of mortar held them in place. It was a far cry from their erstwhile state when the rainwater used to torrent freely down the climb and expose all the stones. Nevertheless the same tactic was required now as then: keep turning the gear and keep the front wheel down. Having watched Demi Vollering with chain problems here during Saturday’s TV coverage I thought it wise to hit the worst slopes already in my lowest gear (23t) even if it meant spinning a bit at first.

I had intended to start for home after the Moskes but after surviving that I wanted to keep going for a bit and I descended instead to Overijse where I used to live and tackled the famous S-Bocht and Taymansstraat, a nice little climb that I have to admit I never knew existed until the Worlds presented it to me. Short and sweet they were and now I should be getting back for afternoon meetings.

However Taymansstraat came out on the road to Eizer and it occurred to me now that I couldn’t come all this way and not tackle the last climb in the “Flandrien circuit” when I was about to ride right past the bottom of it.

I had always thought of the Bekestraat as the worst of all the climbs in this area. The cobbles were always in a dreadful state and the deep cut of the road offered no gutters in which to put the wheels and escape some of the rattle. Sure enough though, after leaving behind the gorgeous fat rainbow stripes that someone had painted at the entrance to them, I remembered that these stones too had been recently restored. Unlike the Moskes I had already been here since the big roadworks but even with a rougher surface to improve grip and the extra mortar to hold everything together the cobbles seemed to stand out higher and it was no picnic at all.

It’s easy to feel nostalgic about this area and now I have another, more universal reason for it. This is my corner of Flanders (a really tiny one when I think about it) and I’m proud to have seen the World Championships race so magically through it. Even after the barriers have been taken away, the flags have come down and the names and faces have at last faded from the asphalt, I’ll still have the memories and that little, slightly childish satisfaction that I was here first!

===

Race day:

Clip:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hardpmybe9fnz9/Worlds%20video.mp4?dl=0

Didn't really take any pics on the day. Was too busy watching.

Ride today:

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 17:19 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4192
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Splendid recap, L'arri!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [Today at 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search
    [October 11, 2021, 08:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Drummer Boy