t-72

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3977
Il Lombardia 2021
« on: October 05, 2021, 22:11 »
Once again this fall, time to...
Geeeet Monumental!  
Season 4?, episode5 : Il Lombardia 2021

This Saturday, the last of the season's monuments are up for grabs, and with that a return to an almost-normal calendar. It is once again the time of falling leaves.

What I hope to see: more falling leaves and less falling cyclists (Remco, can you hear me?) and of course, some of the best racing of the season. The latter is becoming more difficult after very good editions of botht the European championships, The Worlds, and now the new fall classic, the Paris-Roubaix, but there's no Muro di Sormano in any of those.

The Lombardia is the monument least likely to stick to the same course as last year, frequently switching finish line locations between Bergamo and Como, but recently there hasn't been many finishes in Bergamo, the organizers settling for the more hilly finale in Como most years now.
This year is different though, the race will run Como to Bergamo and we will get the longer flat section before the final little climb on the Colle Aperto. There is plenty of climbing to put in a solo attack and make it to the finish line all alone, but I seem to remember there is more often a little group battling it out with a sprint of climbers for the finish line.
The Bergamo finish may favor the swifter racers, but Estaban Chavez won it, so there isn't a requirement to sprint like Julian Alaphilippe to win, you just need more in your legs after a long day on the bike. The course features more climbing summed than the typical Como finish, but the finish itself is quite flat, except for the Colle Aperto.

The particpants:

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 11:09 by t-72, Reason: typos aplenty »

t-72

• Classics Winner
    Re: Il Lombardia 2021
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 19:45 »
    This is  statement from the style council:

https://twitter.com/davidguenel/status/1445818582697455621

Classic it is.
    (But no muro this time)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7955
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 12:02 »
    The latter is becoming more difficult after very good editions of botht the European championships, The Worlds, and now the new fall classic, the Paris-Roubaix, but there's no Muro di Sormano in any of those.
    (But no muro this time)
    I was about to say: No Muro di Sormano, Ghisallo from the 'wrong' side ... this parcours just doesn't feel very monumental to me.

I hope the racing will prove me wrong.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14884
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 16:04 »
    I think it should be alright

And as Drummer was asking about *usa live coverage: on GCN it is

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14884
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 08:36 »
    star ratings in the newspapers:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Roglic
    :*:*:*:* Evenepoel, Pogacar
    :*:*:* Alaphilippe, A. Yates, Almeida
    :*:* Woods, Pinot, Moscon, Valverde
    :* Vlasov, Nibali, Gaudu, Mollema, Hermans

*fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:*
    :*:*:*:* Alaphilippe, Pogacar, Roglic
    :*:*:* Evenepoel
    :*:* Almeida, A. Yates
    :* Bardet, Gaudu, Mollema, Nibali, Woods

not sure there's reason to be this optimistic about #rainbow Balaphilippe's chances.

Or Pinot's :dizzy
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4269
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 00:09 »
    And as Drummer was asking about *usa live coverage: on GCN it is

That's the weird thing, though. NBC/Peacock does offer the race live. They just tune in really, really late (inexplicably).  :dizzy

Now I'm wondering if what I saw on Peacock was the same as the GCN feed, because my commentators were Declan Quigley and (Rob Hatch? I'm not sure). I don't think I've heard Declan previously, but I quite enjoyed his enthusiasm, which seemed to only fuel that of his broadcast partner. It was far more entertaining than what I've had to put up with from the dry delivery of Anthony McCrossan (and his various sidekicks) for much of the season.

Today's race was too late in the morning for me to catch it live (I had scheduled a ride for myself, with a limited window due to weather), but I did just watch the replay of the final 30kms.  :)

Quite a thrilling descent, and a very exciting finale!  :cool

Although Fausto Masnada *it  #deceuninck battled valiantly, and had the feel-good narrative going for him (being the home-town boy), I never really expected him to overpower the seemingly-indestructible Tadej Pogačar  *si #uae

However, I, for one, am thrilled to see how this young generation has restored the tradition of Grand Tour champions competing in one-day races (including the Olympics). It's been decades since we've seen that, and I think it only adds to the competitive intrigue of the sport.

I'm also encouraged by the names making up the Top Ten. Some heavy-hitters there, and I was glad to see Alejandro Valverde back in fine form amongst the best in the world, after his most-unfortunate crash in La Vuelta. If he's going to continue to compete, I much prefer to see him at the front of the race—where anything can happen—rather than simply taking up space in the grupetto.

But what an amazing accomplishment for the winner. As CN so succinctly summed it up:

Pogacar won Liège-Bastogne-Liège in April and his second Tour de France in July, and becomes the first rider since Moreno Argentin in 1987 to win both hilly Monuments in the same season, and the first since Bernard Hinault in 1979 to win the Tour and Il Lombardia in the same year.

To underline the pace with which the 23-year-old is writing his name in the history books, only two riders have ever won two Monuments and the Tour in the same season: Fausto Coppi and Eddy Merckx.

What else is there to say?

It was also nice to see Masnada's post-race interview where he graciously accepted his fate for the day, and seemed content with what he had accomplished. There's no shame in losing to one of the greatest talents of the modern era. And he'll have a great story to tell his grandkids one day.
     ;) 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 01:04 by Drummer Boy »

t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 22:20 »
    Must not forget the formalities ....

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by flow487
    [Today at 07:53]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [August 16, 2022, 17:22]

Re: Roadbooks by le gac
    [August 16, 2022, 05:24]

Re: Vuelta a Espana 2022 - General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [August 15, 2022, 19:04]

Re: Vuelta a Espana 2022 - General Discussion by Leadbelly
    [August 15, 2022, 18:53]

Re: Circuit franco-belge by LukasCPH