collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9495
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion
« on: January 27, 2022, 19:07 »
Tour of Sharjah 28th January - 2nd February

Stage 1 | Sharjah - Sharjah TT (8.9km)

Stage 2 | Sharjah - Ahd Dhayd (95.45km)

Stage 3 | Al Fujayrak - Khor Fakkan (107.8km)

Stage 4 | AL Badayer Oases - Wadi al Hedo (122.8km)

Stage 5 | Khor Fakkan - Sharjah (102.6km)

Not bad, as these things go. Short TT to get things started, a couple of sprints, a serious MTF on stage 3 and the potential for some gaps on the following day too.

Plus who knows what will happen if the wind blows. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: 2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 19:15 »

In fact I told a lie, as I missed our Moroccan friend on my first perusal of the start list, there are four ex-WT riders here. Bole, Baska, El Abdia and........can you spot him....
    Spoiler (hover to show)

Budyak or Jambalaya would be my pick for the overall win.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3941
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 20:49 »
    I have to admit I don't think I even knew about this race until now.  :o
    I can't find the Cajun team on the lists, but I always order Jambalaya if it's on the menu?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 21:13 »
    Who can forget Kipkemboi's stage victory from four years ago!

I can't find the Cajun team on the lists, but I always order Jambalaya if it's on the menu?

Jambalaya Sainbayar. His freshly cooked new nickname.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 21:27 »

It was the ex-WT stagiaire who spoilt the Bole party.

Btw there's another ex-WT rider I missed. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14731
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 22:12 »
    don't think I've ever read Cyrus Monk's name past January. Will this be the year it changes?!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7941
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 23:04 »
    don't think I've ever read Cyrus Monk's name past January. Will this be the year it changes?!
    The race finishes on 1 February, so if he ends up high enough in GC ... :shh ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 21:05 »

El Abdia, if he'd been born a different nationality or if MTN had stuck to their African roots, could/should have had a better career.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 18:00 »

I was failing at guess the team from the kit today. Not helped by the Roojai kit being almost exactly like Terengganu's from last year.

We knew the winner though. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 20:25 »
    1 win of the season for #unox  :cool

EDIT: this t-72 needs a workover to get ready for the season, keep mixing up these young Norwegians  :S

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 20:56 by t-72, Reason: Dementia »

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 20:50 »
    Speaking of Norwegians, EBH didn't do too badly today. Rather a long sprint, but didn't fade too much.

1 win of the season for #unox  :cool
    (also unofficially breaking the curse of the  #rainbows  at first chance....)

yes I know it isn't the same class etc :) That is why it is unofficial

Gudmestad is a world champion? or is this something to do with the entire country of Norway being cursed after the junior RR win last year?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 20:57 »
    Gudmestad is a world champion? or is this something to do with the entire country of Norway being cursed after the junior RR win last year?

:fp

Corrected
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 08:20 »
    I think I prefer the idea of the whole country being cursed for a year..... :D

Meteor strikes hitting the ground, random temporary occurrences of dementia. What next? A plague of frogs?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 17:30 »
    I think I prefer the idea of the whole country being cursed for a year..... :D

Meteor strikes hitting the ground, random temporary occurrences of dementia. What next? A plague of frogs?

British skiers winning the olympics. Young and Musgrave doesn't read this, do they?   :ouch  :sick :mood :boom
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 17:47 »

Pascual rather graciously allowed his team mate and fellow countryman, who had been in the break, to take the stage win. If his team are interested in winning the overall, he could regret that decision tomorrow.

Can't find the full TT results from stage 1 to see who would win in the event of a tie.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 17:53 »
    Can't find the full TT results from stage 1 to see who would win in the event of a tie.

here you go:

http://www.votrecourse.com/medias/resultats/20220128-34744_Stage1.pdf

So Pascual it is.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 14:23 »
    Sharjah >> Saudi ;)

Quite a high octane start to the stage with Cyrus Monk (I think) being very active (and getting a February mention). It settled down to an extent once they'd got back onto flatter terrain with Bole picking up some bonifications.

In theory, if Pascual had taken the full bonuses yesterday, he could have held on to the overall, but Bole looked quite easy in the finishing sprint and seemed happy enough to let others have the stage glory.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 22:11 »
    And on to the Saudi Tour, not the first real race of the season, not the first warm-up race of the season either. However, the weather looked quite warm there. I discovered that was because the first race I try to watch every season actually starts (insert location name from race host) "Winter Park"?? Obviously not a place for bike racing in February. The truth is, it always starts in TV transmission hell. Nothing to complaion about, that's a warm and cozy perfect place for a warm up race.

I don't watch "linear TV" anymore and turned on discovery+ streaming service at this late hour. I had to re-login cause it was a new version of discovery+ (which replaced eurosport player here last year). I had forgotten  my password... sigh. Entering e-mail adress and password using an Apple TV remote control. Sigh, Sigh, Sigh. In the background someone with an entirely flamig red skin, horns and a remarkable similarity to Lance Armstrong pretends to be putting out the fire, but he's not using water. That's gasoline. New password must contain...etc

Finally I am logged in and on the sports pages I am able to locate the Saudi Tour and start it. Ten seconds and I need to re-authorize this with the AppleTV app. I ask the Lance-like red devil behind me to put the equivalent of a full day's production of oil from the Saudi oil fields on the Apple facilities and make sure it burns all the way down this time.

I breath a sigh of relief as the coverage starts. There's a road. It is set up for for racing with bikes. In the background there is a beautiful rock wall. I see layers of various thickness, probably sandstone. I measure these kind of things for a living, isn't this supposed to be my spare time? Lancelike the devil puts more gasoline on the fire. I notice the race timer in the upper corner of the screen says it is 4 hours and something ....wait .... into the stage already? Then this must be the finish line?

Within a minute or to a lot of guys on bike appear. Most of them wear bright colored jerseys. The #lotto Caleb Ewan appears, and does the stuff he is good at. The others are not so good and end up behind him.

All this struggle with logins and privacy statements and all that was for less than a minute of actual racing. TV transmission hell is a great warm-up, isn't it? So it began:

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 22:13 »
    So, theres a bit of a layday in the olympics programme today. I came home from work a bit delayed and quite tired, decided it wasn't "clean the house" day after all - went to the good groceries store (#coop) , picked up some fresh cod with all the extras and made the mølje (N-Norwegian all in one pot way of preparing cod, name translates to some kind of mix) sat down to enjoy with a fresh sprinkle of southern Portugal and BIKE RACE TIME!

For a night with a relaxed programme, perfect - until it became clear that #jumbo #champno Tobias Foss seemed to have a really good day up the Alto de Foia. In second position behind the #quickstep "leadout" guy (who did an excellent job, who was that?)  for something like 3 kilometers and then looking really well positioned for the the sprint for the finish line, until this clumsy colombian fleaweight called Higuita tried to pass him, thinking he was Fabio Jakobsen or someone that fast. When he cut back in front of Foss to close off the lane, he was't in front at all, he was only right beside him, and they crashed with the result that both fell and both ended up perhaps too far behind to play a role in the GC. You don't catch Remco with 40 seconds in the ITT even if you are Tobias Foss, now with a painful elbow.

This was so disappointing to me, because it was the first time in an international race I have seen Tobias looking so confident since the Tour de 'Avenir. I hope the crash won't be much of a setback for his giro preparations, because what I saw today looked quite promising. Hopefully he'll be back in full force for the Strade Bianche but I guess there's a *be teammate that will be the captain in that race. However, with the randomness of gravel races it may pay off to have two horses as far into the final as possible.

I totally forgot that someone won today:

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 05:47 »
    I didn't really see it as Higuita's fault, tbh. Of course, as he most likely would have won the sprint easily, he maybe should have left a bit more room, but Foss also drifts further to the outside than necessary. So I'd call it a normal race incident, basically with both to blame.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 09:42 »
     :angry
    I didn't really see it as Higuita's fault, tbh.
    :angry
    How dare you challenge my Norwegian bias?

:D

I think I was more disappointed than Tobias, to be fair, he hasn´t even said one curseword yet as far as I notice (all though everything in sports this week happens behind a smokescreen of olympic events).
    I hope he´s ready for a good time trial. Both of them, of course.

Another question: why isn´t there a sprint-crash exception for GT times on hilltop finishes? It doesn´t have to be 3 km as in a flat sprint, but the last 100 or 150m m should be fair, I don´t think Pavel Bernas will contest anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 10:01 »
    Just so you know, search has Higuita on his CQ team too. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 12:22 »
    Another question: why isn´t there a sprint-crash exception for GT times on hilltop finishes? It doesn´t have to be 3 km as in a flat sprint, but the last 100 or 150m m should be fair, I don´t think Pavel Bernas will contest anyway.
    Because you normally don't crash when riding uphill.
    The last instance I can remember was Menchov on Prato Nevoso (?).
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 13:04 »
    The last instance I can remember was Menchov on Prato Nevoso (?).

This guy wants to have a word with you:
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: February 19, 2022, 13:06 »
    Just so you know, search has Higuita on his CQ team too. ;)

That's it, and the *de domination of women's xc skiing got to stop!

:)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #26 on: February 20, 2022, 12:01 »
    #quickstep Remco Evenepoel is a bit of a strange kind of cyclist. Being belgian, you would have expected him to be road-savy, dodging potholes, burning rubber on the cobblestones and cautiously ducking and avoiding being hit when his out-of-control mates come flyying at him from approximately 5 years of age, but he was born as the cycling equivalent of bambi on ice, following perhaps the more painful path of welsh track cyclists adopted to road conditions at a mature age. However, when he is not stumbling, he throws out some spectacular performances (fully belgian at that) but mostly at the slightly smaller races. While performing to the equivalent of lapping everyone in the men's junior class roadrace back at the World Championship in Innsbrück (2018), some questions can be asked if juming directly to men's elite, skipping the U23 category entirely, was a wise move.

For the U23 racing scene, it was (there might have been 4 years  "no chance" and boredom for everone else if not). However, for Remco himself it has been a mixed bag, containing a lot of misfortune, including falling of a bridge while trying to follow Nibalit, an accident so grave and uncontrollable it might just as well have ended with paralysis or other career-ending injuries, up to loss of life. He has also racked up an impressive list of .... 3 victories at world tour level!  He has won The "Tour de Pologne" (stage + GC 2020  and perhaps, more impressive: the Klasikoa in Donostia  (San Sebastian 2019). That's it, and that's all from this formerly invincible cyclist so far.

Yesterday we saw why he has been and will continue to be a force to be reckoned with: with super strong legs (early fotball success seems to be very transferable to cycling, maybe the legs are part of the reason) and good aerodynamics, on a sunny day in good racing conditions he basically beat everyone else, including a few racers until now seen as experts at the discipline,  by such a wide margin it is hard to belive. At his favorite race, the Volta Algarve  (2.Pro). He has an amzing record, with 3 stage wins and 1 GC win already at this race!

If you don't find this completely super impressive, there was a couple of observations to be made yesterday that perhaps more justly deserves attention. It is about the distance from some of his closest competitors here, most notably #champeu Stefan Küng. He is not crap rider, actully, he is a champion, and he didn't seem to be out of shape yesterday, and yet he finished 58 seconds behind Evenepoel.  In 2020, the time trial was shorter (2/3 the length of this year), but the Küng finished 19 seconds behind Evenpoel (Rohan Dennis in between).

I also know that #champno Tobias Foss can ride impressive time trials (even if not quite Tom Dumoulin-class) and on a good day he can beat Evenepoel, at least if the latter has a bad day.  I don't think I have seen him looking more comfortable on the bike and in better shape ever since he left #unox. He was in total control of the situation on the Foia climb, at least until Higuita wanted to contest the sprint with him, and that is almost unheard of - he has been more the sufferer on long climbs till now (sometimes he has suffered to good results, but I haven't seen him with the "hey! I have best legs here today" look on his face ever since he started with #jumbo. He rode a very good time trial, and ended a few seconds behind the Küng - which is just as expected when these guys have a good day. This is is the quality control indicates the Küng's performance is a good baseline for judging Evenepoel's progress.

Remco increasing his win margin over Küng liket his means even #rainbow Filippo Ganna should look over his shoulder. And one day Remco may advance to winning more important races than the Tour de Pologne. Something like the ITT worlds, probably. The instant world domination that his most devoted fans expected from the day he turned pro with #quickstep Quickstep (2019 is 3 years ago already) did not happen, but as long as he stays upright (and this time you will, Remco?  :-x) it is unlikely that anyone will be able to deny him a second GC win in the Volta Algarve.

I just kind of wonder, he could have done that with a more careful career path too, spending a couple of years at U23 level maturing his road racing skills differently, couldn't he? Nevermind, he 'll be Campeão d'Algarve tomorrow anyway. Hooray!

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 13:23 »
    This guy wants to have a word with you:
    To be fair to :geraint Geraint Thomas, it was a very wet day with very slippery surfaces.
    But yes, he does tend to crash a lot.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 22:54 »
    Last stage from Algarve, I didn't have time watch it, but the results are perhaps the least unexpected ones I have seen so far this year.

and Remco gets his GC win:
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Seven days of hard racing underway in Northern France.

The early break took the win yesterday with Groupama Devo messing up the chase (?). The winner Le Berre is already signed up to ride for Arkea from next year.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.