collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 4303
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
It's upon us: The mighty Alpe d’Huez! :win

And yet, all eyes will be on...

Look at him. Does look like a man that just suffered a humiliating defeat? An insurmountable setback? A man who just had victory snatched from his grip?

Nah, it just looks like a kid after a day of cycling.  :angel

No sunken eyes, no faraway stare, no salt-covered lips, no look of despair—none of the telltale signs that we've become familiar with in the past after such a dramatic turn of events. Even shortly after the stage, Pogačar offered Jonas Vingegaard an amiable congratulations along with a friendly tap of encouragement. This is a not a normal athlete, and today we did not witness a normal defeat. I'm still not quite sure what we saw, but it was far from a decisive blow, given the competitive nature of Tadej, and all that we know he is capable of.

With Pogačar now sitting 2:22 behind the Maillot Jaune, just how much time might he have to make up before the next rest day? I hadn't realized until just now that Vingegaard was actually 25 seconds faster than Pogačar in last year's final iTT. Although Tadej ended that stage with a massive gap of 5:20 over Jonas, I'm still very curious as to how these two might fare against one another if everything were on the line come Stage 20 of this year's race.

Judging by the post-race optics of today, it would seem highly probable that Pogačar is still cable of inflicting some devastating competitive wounds in his rivals. His UAE team seems to be weakening, but might Jumbo ultimately pay a price for putting too much on the line too soon?

One thing seems a safe bet:
Thursday's Stage 12 to Alpe d’Huez should live up to even the greatest of expectations on this, one of the Tour's most iconic and legendary climbs. Let the myth-making begin!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:57 by Drummer Boy »

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.