collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14935
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Vuelta a España 2022 - Stages & Discussion
« on: August 18, 2022, 19:18 »
Vuelta a España 2022 - Stages & Discussion

Stage Type Date Start / Finish Distance
1      #tt      Fri 08/19       Utrecht > Utrecht      23.3 km
2      #flat      Sat 08/20       's-Hertogenbosch > Utrecht      175.1 km
3      #flat      Sun 08/21       Breda > Breda      193.5 km
4      #med      Tue 08/23       Vitoria-Gasteiz > Laguardia      152.5 km
5      #med      Wed 08/24       Irun > Bilbao      187.2 km
6      #mountain      Thu 08/25       Bilbao > Ascensión al Pico Jano      181.2 km
7      #med      Fri 08/26       Camargo > Cistierna      190 km
8      #med      Sat 08/27       La Pola Llaviana > Colláu Fancuaya      153.4 km
9      #mountain      Sun 08/28       Villaviciosa > Les Praeres. Nava      171.4 km
10      #tt      Tue 08/30       Elche > Alicante      30.9 km
11      #med      Wed 08/31       ElPozo Alimentación > Cabo de Gata      191.2 km
12      #mountain      Thu 09/01       Salobreña > Peñas Blancas. Estepona      192.7 km
13      #flat      Fri 09/02       Ronda > Montilla      168.4 km
14      #mountain      Sat 09/03       Montoro > Sierra de La Pandera      160.3 km
15      #mountain      Sun 09/04       Martos > Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora      153 km
16      #flat      Tue 09/06       Sanlúcar de Barrameda > Tomares      189.4 km
17      #med      Wed 09/07       Aracena > Monasterio de Tentudía      162.3 km
18      #mountain      Thu 09/08       Trujillo > Alto de Piornal      192 km
19      #med      Fri 09/09       Talavera de la Reina > Talavera de la Reina      138.3 km
20      #mountain      Sat 09/10       Moralzarzal > Puerto de Navacerrada      181 km
21      #flat      Sun 09/11       Las Rozas > Madrid      96.7 km
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    The race heads off in Holland tomorrow evening with a long not seen discipline: a TTT :)

Starting order:

Orden Hora Equipo
    1      18:30:00      #burgos BURGOS-BH
    2      18:34:00      #iwg INTERMARCHE - WANTY - GOBERT MATER.
    3      18:38:00      #israel ISRAEL-PREMIER TECH
    4      18:42:00      #groupama GROUPAMA - FDJ
    5      18:46:00      #arkea TEAM ARKEA - SAMSIC
    6      18:50:00      #cofidis COFIDIS
    7      18:54:00      #euskaltel EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI
    8      18:58:00      #ef EF EDUCATION - EASYPOST
    9      19:02:00      #bikeexchange TEAM BIKEEXCHANGE-JAYCO
    10      19:06:00      #ag2r AG2R CITROEN TEAM
    11      19:10:00      #bahrain BAHRAIN VICTORIOUS
    12      19:14:00      #lotto LOTTO SOUDAL
    13      19:18:00      #alpecin ALPECIN - DECEUNINCK
    14      19:22:00      #kern EQUIPO KERN PHARMA
    15      19:26:00      #dsm TEAM DSM
    16      19:30:00      #bora BORA - HANSGROHE
    17      19:34:00      #uae UAE TEAM EMIRATES
    18      19:38:00      #astana ASTANA QAZAQSTAN TEAM
    19      19:42:00      #trek TREK - SEGAFREDO
    20      19:46:00      #ineos INEOS GRENADIERS
    21      19:50:00      #quickstep QUICK-STEP ALPHA VINYL TEAM
    22      19:54:00      #movistar MOVISTAR TEAM
    23      19:58:00      #jumbo JUMBO - VISMA

Time of the 5th rider counts. Unfortunately I couldn't find the starting time of #cajarural
  • ReplyReply

• scrooll07

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 12
    • Awards: 2018 Giro d'Italia CQ game winner

Time of the 5th rider counts. Unfortunately I couldn't find the starting time of #cajarural

Neither they can find it I guess :)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4004
    Stage Type Date Start / Finish Distance
    1      #tt      Fri 08/19       Utrecht > Utrecht      23.3 km
    2      #flat      Sat 08/20       's-Hertogenbosch > Utrecht      175.1 km
    3      #flat      Sun 08/21       Breda > Breda      193.5 km

This should not be allowed by UCI rules.

Section 1223 article 324se should read:
    Never start a Grand Tour in the Netherlands without a Neeltje Jans stage.
     :onfire2
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    Neither they can find it I guess :)

#cajarural have appealed for an amnesty as TTT is considered cruel and unusual punishment in rural spain! 
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    OK, to get back to serious.... for the TTT, it is hard to see any team touching the home team  #jumbo Hogesnelheidslijn level of expectations. Their team looks very fast on paper, they have Dennis, and #ineos comes without his nemesis the Ganna. Is there any team that can stop them?

There are other good teams, of course. like for example,  #ineos INEOS. However, they come with their Giro boys - they can still win the race but not the opening TTT.

#uae UAE-Emirates come with an interesting line up, and like INEOS they can surely bring home the ugly wheel-plate trophy but they will not start to prepare for that on day 1.

Speaking about nemesis, rematch between rivals, there's #ineos  Richard Carapaz but it is easy to forget there's #bora Bora and Jai Hindley too. Great set-up for a revenge, O golden helmet, but if Bora kicks butt on day 1 they are unlikely to do it for long - and I think they are here for the GC.  I bet they will take a careful, defensive, safe start. Not TTT winners.

#quickstep come with a bunch of guys that can do a lot of things - including 3 WT ITT winners, but I think the team is unbalanced for the TTT and can't really see who is going to be rider 4 and 5 for the team to finish on top of the TTT results list. They won't lose much time, but they won't win.

The outsider isn't really a GC team although they have a former winner - the #bikeexchange team seems to be the best balanced team of all with mostly flatlander roleur types, Groves for the sprint and Yates for mountain stages. If in shape, Yates is damned good on a short time trial in any kind of terrain any way. The team can finish with almost any combination of riders and still podium. With 5 riders in top shape, they may actually be the kind of garden hose that can make #jumbo slip on home soil this friday.

All other teams ... ouch! Here comes the first minute in your backlog.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    The outsider isn't really a GC team although they have a former winner - the #bikeexchange team seems to be the best balanced team of all with mostly flatlander roleur types, Groves for the sprint and Yates for mountain stages. If in shape, Yates is damned good on a short time trial in any kind of terrain any way. The team can finish with almost any combination of riders and still podium. With 5 riders in top shape, they may actually be the kind of garden hose that can make #jumbo slip on home soil this friday.

I'd also say that they have the best shot of beating Jumbo, also as since getting Pinotti on board, #bikeexchange has gradually improved in time trialing again. Yates and Craddock have each won an ITT this year, with Durbo, Scotson, Hepburn and O'Brien they bring four former team pursuit world champions, and having a sprinter on board is usually a good thing as well for the twisty parts.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4251
    • Awards: 2021 CQ Vuelta Game winner2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Weather wise, it looks as if the teams also face a lottery for their time trials. Just what they need to tackle a technical circuit.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4281
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    It turns out that I do, in fact, have coverage for this year's Vuelta.  :cool
    NBC was being their usual nondescript, vague selves, and not giving any indication across their websites as to whether or not coverage was going to occur. Even as recently as a couple of days ago, their calendar page showed "No Upcoming Events" under the cycling banner.
     :S

Only as of today do I see the pending start of the broadcast which is scheduled to begin exactly one hour from now. No idea who the commentating team will be, or if I'll have two choices as was the case for Le Tour, but coverage will commence!

(Although with the late start time, I'm just not sure if I'm wiling to sacrifice a gorgeous summer afternoon in order to watch today.)
     :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Actually, the decision was just made easier for me. I just received some bike components that I had ordered, so I'll watch while working on my bike. 
    :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Only as of today do I see the pending start of the broadcast which is scheduled to begin exactly one hour from now. No idea who the commentating team will be, or if I'll have two choices as was the case for Le Tour, but coverage will commence!

as far as I understood, the weekend stages will be on CNBC and the others on the Olympic Channel.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    So the TTT went ... almost as predicted, even if some time gaps are larger than I thought they would be, and #groupama Groupama- FDJ, what are you doing up there? 

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    as far as I understood, the weekend stages will be on CNBC and the others on the Olympic Channel.
    I actually don't get either of those TV channels, but Peacock, the NBC streaming service, is covering the race pretty thoroughly. Yesterday's stream had ads, but today it's commercial-free, and I'm pretty sure that most of the streaming coverage will be that way. 
    :cool
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    Smooth win for #bora Benett. No need to get in trouble with risky maneuvres if you have the best legs.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    yeah, good win for him, aber a pretty bad season so far.

After yesterday's tailwind sprint, today's should be a block headwind one. Will be interesting to see how the trains and sprinters adapt. Usually it's terrain where surprises can happen, and badly positioned riders shoot to the front from behind (:wave #cofidis le Coq)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    the result was the same, though: great leadout by DvP finished off by Sam Bennett.

After a rest day, the race continues in Basque Country tomorrow:

Stage 4: Vitoria-Gasteiz > Laguardia

It's quite a tricky, typical Basque finale on from the sprint:

With a little murito in the end

https://climbfinder.com/en/climbs/laguardia-navaridas-errepidea

Looks like a good finish for guys like Roglic, Alaphilippe or Hayter maybe, but all those teams are chasing bigger goals - so consequently it could very well be a day for the break instead.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    Looks like a good finish for guys like Roglic, Alaphilippe or Hayter maybe, but all those teams are chasing bigger goals - so consequently it could very well be a day for the break instead.

OK, so let's discuss "who will be the sneaky GC rider" then. They guy that sneaks into a breakaway and gets a fair amount of time on the favorites, he can be able to hold on to the leader's jersey #red for many stages. Final result somewhere in lower top 10 ranks or even down on to the top 20 list.
    It needs to be somone that is not considered a real threat on the GC from the start, so they will be allowed into the breakaway, but it must also be a rider with ability to defend the jersey on all but the longest and/or the steepest climbs plus in the ITT. Probably it should also be a rider without a rider that has real GC ambitions or from a very focused sprint team. This rider will need some help in the mountains or he will only be there until the next steep stage.  If a team is very serious about GC, they will not prioritize sending someone up the road to come home with a red jersey they have no intention of keeping for days.
    This leaves us with the teams that definetly can climb but don't have neither sprinter nor GC candidate to match the best:
    #jumbo Jumbo-Visma:  - unthinkable!
    #ag2r AG2R-Citroen  - Nan Peters, Clement Champoussin, (Bob Jungels and Jaakko Häaninen)
    #astana Astana Qazaqstan - too good GC riders
    #bahrain Bahrain Victorious - as for astana
    #bora Bora Hansgrohe - no no no
    #cofidis clearly condidate team but they are not bringing the philosopher - the man for the job!
    #ef EF Education - Easypost too good GC riders
    #groupama Groupama - FDJ no way, Pinot isn't going to get away with that, it would be way to easy.
    #ineos Ineos Grenadiers can totally forget about this
    #intermarche Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert did a very good job at this last year, but now they have brought a way to serious GC team. Impossible.
    #israel Israel-premier tech Have sort of dropped out of GC anyway (Woods DNF) , but no one knows what will happen if Chris Froome gets 5 minutes so that is unlikely to happen. Carl Fredrik Hagen, on the other hand, has done this before - but is he good enough now?
    #lotto Lotto Soudal one of the archetypical teams for this kind of stunts yes, but the rider? De Gent is too obvious and Cras has crashed, can Van Gils do it?
    #movistar Movistar are famous for some weird tactical tricks, but I don't see them putting Valverde into the breakaway really. However, now th
    ye have one Mas more.
    #quickstep Quickstep Alpha Vinyl won't do it cause Evenepoel is very serious
    #bikeexchange Simon Yates, king of many stages in the pink jersey without being a serious GC threat. Right?  :P
    #dsm Team DSM the perfect team but the perfect rider damaged himself in a fall already. Doubtful. Arensman, maybe.
    #trek Trek - JuanPe Lopez is made for the job, but seems to be out of shape. Kenny Elissonde may be a bettter suggestion.
    #uae UAE - to serious
    #alpecin Alpecin Deccuninck: if they don't believe in Merlier anymore, Jay Wine could do it.'
    Spanish pro teams + Arkea: is there anyone good enough to pull of such a stunt? I don't know these teams very well, help!

---- who's your favorite Sneaky GC guy  for La Vuelta 2022?
    I vote for Eiking  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:51 by LukasCPH »

t-72

• Classics Winner
    Spanish pro teams: is there anyone good enough to pull of such a stunt? I don't know these teams very well, help!

One thing I do know is that if #uae Ayuso and #ineos Rodriguez had been captains on one of these teams each, it would have made the race a lot more fun. They are fantastic talents that should not spend too much time in the mountain trains of large teams - but it is their deciesion to make
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    #groupama Groupama - FDJ no way, Pinot isn't going to get away with that, it would be way to easy.

Molard did it in in 2018, #red for a couple of days, 14th in GC in the end. His season has probably been bad enough to get the freedom to go for it again.

From the smaller Spanish teams, I doubt anyone is really good enough to hang on in GC, even with an advantage. #kern Adria maybe for the first half of the race.

If the favourites want to give a jersey away, I also think they tend to prefer to give it to a bigger team. An unexperienced team in the lead often can come with a bit of chaos, as they don't know how to handle the situation, and in the end aren't really strong enough when it counts.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3776
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    Molard did it in in 2018, #red for a couple of days, 14th in GC in the end. His season has probably been bad enough to get the freedom to go for it again.
    Good call
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9671
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Aha. Here's the important info we've all been looking for.

https://twitter.com/arbolesmate/status/1563913750612156417

It's actually only 40km so far, but they (Mate, Vuelta and Euskaltel) are tripling it and an extra 100 (x3) is added into the mix for some reason.

More breaks needed Luis. :spank
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    After some climbs, an ITT and plenty of covid dropouts, the race continues with a likely sprint stage today:

Going down the coast, there's plenty of wind, but unfortunately from the wrong direction for most of the day. Things could still spice up for the final ~10k, though, after turning south-east straight into a crosswind:

It should also be fairly exposed, by the look of it. So it's likely to be a long wait today, but maybe with some action in the end.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2021 CQ Vuelta Game winner2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Two of the GC top 10 bite the Covid dust: Yates and Sivakov DNSs.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Two of the GC top 10 bite the Covid dust: Yates and Sivakov DNSs.

Ayuso said he is feeling sick as well. Not great at all...
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    Re: Vuelta a España 2022 - Stages & Discussion
    « Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 11:21 »
    Today's Covid casualties: Boy van Poppel and perhaps more impactful, Santiago Buitrago.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: September 04, 2022, 11:22 »
    We've got ourselves a race!   :)

I watched a replay from Stage 14 late last night. Quite exciting.

I've been enjoying this Vuelta quite a bit for most of it. From the start in the Netherlands, we moved onto the stunning surroundings of Northern Spain in Week One, along with some nicely competitive racing with a multitude of riders in #red. Then just when it looked like Primož was going to do what Primož does, we witnessed the emergence of Remco Evenepoel fulfilling the promise of his Grand Tour potential.

Even if Remco were to run away with this race, it would still be history in the making as yet another extraordinary—and extraordinarily young—GT talent emerges. But there's still a ton of racing left, and literally anything could happen as Covid continues to haunt the peloton, accidents and illness of all sorts are always a possibility, both main contenders have lost key lieutenants, and who knows what the weather might have in store for us.

We've seen Aussies Jay Vine  #alpecin and Kayden Groves  #bikeexchange announce themselves to the world, while 30-year-old veteran Louis Meintjes  #iwg achieved a well-earned sentimental win with the highlight of his career.

Richard Carapaz  #ineos has been animating things nicely with two uphill victories of his own, and now, for the first time, we've seen that Evenepoel does appear to be human after all, despite evidence to the contrary thus far.

With another full week of racing yet to unfold, I'm not sure there are any safe bets as to who wears #red in Madrid. There are certainly obvious choices, but after the events of Stage 14 it seems that we have a legitimate Grand Tour on our hands. As Remco suffered for the first time this race, Primož was able to force an advantage, and in the process he successfully erased all the gains that the race leader had achieved in earlier iTT. Roglič had lost 48 seconds to Evenepoel in the Stage 10 Time Trial, but then managed to claw back all of that plus 4 bonus seconds at the line on La Pandera. Remco still has a significant lead of 1' 49" in the overall, but will that be enough? Will Evenepoel be able to fully withstand the rigors of a three-week race?

With the Sierra Nevada looming for the finale of Stage 15, the leaders and any riders with stage ambitions will be in full race mode, likely holding nothing back with the second rest day just around the corner.

Bring it on!   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2022, 12:05 »
    With the Sierra Nevada looming for the finale of Stage 15, the leaders and any riders with stage ambitions will be in full race mode, likely holding nothing back with the second rest day just around the corner.

Roglic was only able to take back 15s on Evenepoel in the end - but maybe there's another chance tomorrow.

Although classified as a sprint stage, the finale is pretty tough, and last time they used it, Trentin (in uber shape back then, winning three stages) was the only sprinter able to really hang on:

#trek Mads Pedersen seems to be in similar shape right now, so winning will probably be tough, but there could be some bonus seconds available at least. Also because another little bump has been added with ~10k out:

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #27 on: September 06, 2022, 23:54 »
    https://twitter.com/JumboVismaRoad/status/1567239065115758593

"Investigations" perhaps not being the best choice of words in translation.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: September 07, 2022, 13:00 »
    Damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit damnit ...
     :( :angry :( :angry  :( :angry :( :angry  :( :angry :( :angry  :( :angry :( :angry  :( :angry :( :angry
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.