collapse

doolols

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 33
Bike for gentle off-road?
« on: September 26, 2012, 14:27 »
I've got a nice roadie bike, and an old general-purpose hybrid-type thing for riding to the shops.

I was thinking of getting an 'off-road' bike for winter and holidays, but I'm unsure of what to look for.

I don't really an all-out downhill beast, since I'm old and scared of breaking bones  :) I probably want front suspension, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting rear suspension. My brother has a very cheap (Tesco, I think) full suspension bike that he tootles around on, but the reviews of these, and similar, bikes are terrible.

I'm looking for something that will do a bit of road work (say, up to 10km), and off road for things like canal towpaths and some easy cross-country paths (e.g. footpaths).

My budget? Say up to £500, but the cheaper the better, obviously  ;)

Thanks in anticipation.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1284
    Re: Bike for gentle off-road?
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 14:42 »
    What's wrong with your hybrid type thing?
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 00:08 »
    That's probably a good question. It has no suspension, it can't really handle any off-road stuff.

I forgot to mention, there's a circuit near to us which is off-road, very bumpy footpaths. This would be nice to cycle during the winter, but I think it's a bit too much for the solid-framed hybrid thing.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48 »
    If the surfaces are not too heavy, a 'crosser:

Planet-X Uncle John (double your budget but still a snip at the price) £999.

If you insist on an MTB:

Planet-X / On One Inbred X5 29er £799 (still over budget but highly reputed bikes)

Buy online, free delivery. Nice guys from Rotherham, they machine a lot of their own parts. I think Captain Cavman uses these guys. I almost bought a bike off them once but I decided that the shipping to Belgium was a bit steep versus local options.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:09 by L'arriviste »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 377
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05 »
    Have you thought about a rigid or hard tail 29'er? The Giant Talon 29" would probably be a good start.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1284
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 17:51 »
    Buy online, free delivery. Nice guys from Rotherham, they machine a lot of their own parts. I think Captain Cavman uses these guys. I almost bought a bike off them once but I decided that the shipping to Belgium was a bit steep versus local options.
    Not bought a bike from them, just bits and bobs, but surely just a question of time...

£800 for the frame!

But back to the topic, I too have an old hybrid thingy which I use for commuting and I use it on any paths and trails that are worthy of the name. For me the benefits of a mountain bike on the odd occasion I might be hitting rocks at speed, are more than offset by the disadvantages when riding them on the flat.

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 18:18 »
    Kona fire £495 but evans only have the 14" left
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/fire-mountain-2012-mountain-bike-ec034482

Kona Mahuna £585 but they only have the 18" left
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/mahuna-2012-29er-mountain-bike-ec034507

Kona Blast £700 but they only have the 16" left
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/blast-2012-mountain-bike-ec034466

get the feeling i like Kona :D
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 14:14 »
    get the feeling i like Kona :D

;D And Evans Cycles.

Maybe Capt_Cavman is right. A lot of the MTB I look at seem to have tiny chainrings which must make pedalling on the flat / smooth slow work. I might take my hybrid thingy on an off-road cycle soon, just to try it out.

Thanks for all your input.

The 29er looks nice, though ...  ???
  • ReplyReply

• Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 20:45 »
    I bought a mountain bike from Bikes Direct, its a gravity brand. Its very strong and trust me, I have wrecked it quite a bit in extremely rough terrine. It was priced at about $800 on the main website but Bikes Direct sold it to me for $370 plus no shipping or tax costs. Came 90% put together and the rest was simple even for a n00b like myself. I always recommend that shop (its online, google it :)) as I have had nothing but good to say about it.

The only issue is they don't send a very good manual so if you don't know what your doing, take it to a LBS and spend a few bucks getting it put together and safe for rides.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2012 Trek 1.1
    2011 Trek Marlin 29er
    Tour de Shawn - My personal cycling blog!