• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 00:42 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4193
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: The Weather
    « Reply #303 on: January 29, 2019, 14:06 »
    Polar Vortex Triggering Coldest Arctic Outbreak in at Least Two Decades This Week in Parts of the Midwest

- Dangerously cold conditions are forecast in the Midwest this week.
     - Parts of the Midwest will see their coldest weather in at least two decades.
     - Wind chills values will fall into the 40s, 50s, even 60s below zero in some places.
     - The Northeast will also see bitterly cold temperatures late this week.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #304 on: August 22, 2021, 12:57 »
    Hurricane Henri set to arrive soon. As of a couple of days ago, I was right in the bullseye of the storm, but since then the projected path has shifted east a bit. Just expecting some steady, and perhaps significant,  wind and rain but nothing too extreme.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1930
    « Reply #306 on: August 23, 2021, 01:36 »
    Which would you say were the most devastating hurricanes in the US prior to Katrina (was Katrina really harshest of them all) ?

In the nineties I remember Gordon and Allison.

From before my time, I heard about Audrey in 1957 and Betsy in 1965. You also had the Mississippi flood of 1927.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #307 on: August 25, 2021, 10:34 »
    Which would you say were the most devastating hurricanes in the US prior to Katrina (was Katrina really harshest of them all) ?

In my lifetime, it was Hurricane Andrew, in 1992, which hit The Bahamas, Florida and Lousianna. The devastation it brought to south Florida, in particular,  shocked the country. I remember bringing down food supplies, etc, to the local mall where tractor trailers were being loaded with donations. It really brought people together in that sense.

Hurricane Andrew ended up being one of only three Category 5 hurricanes at U.S. landfall, on record.

It completely annihilated entire communities. At the time, most of us had never seen anything quite like it.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #308 on: August 25, 2021, 11:14 »

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #309 on: August 27, 2021, 00:05 »
    I remember bringing down food supplies, etc, to the local mall where tractor trailers were being loaded with donations. It really brought people together in that sense.

All my respect for this, Drummer ! The pictures seem frightening. I was aged 9 by then, too young to remember seeing on the news here in Belgium. But when I see all this I can feel blessed to be living in Northern Europe where you may have bad weather most of the time but not many climate disasters such as hurricanes or earthquakes. We may have flood, just like around Liege/Pepinster last month but that's it.

One of the most violent storms that ever hit Ostend occurred in February 1993 : 

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 19:18 by Echoes »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #310 on: October 04, 2021, 22:52 »
    Recently discovered the Louisianian media platform "Télé-Louisiane". A TV/web channel to promote French in Louisiana. They've been very active in exposing the damage done by Hurricane Ida in Southern Louisiana. As far as I understood Ida's landfall was a bit West of the Katrina landfall. So New Orleans was affected - electricity down - but definitely not the way it was hit by Katrina. However Ida hit the Terrebonne Parish more dramatically.

The video was posted ten days ago on youtube but shot on 2 September. The reporter went to Isle à Jean-Charles, that is on the Delta, South of Houma. There lives Houma Amerindians - Pointe-aux-Chênes (Oak Point) tribe - who still speak broken French, like their ancestors, and a couple of Cajuns. Apparently, 4 days after Ida passed, the Amerindians still felt neglected by the government, whether it be the local parish government or by the Federal government. They need aid to build more levees, more flat walls, etc. There was still a lot of damage and debris that needed to be removed, a lot of furniture. Some locals still lived in tents or cabins.

Here's an English video :

I hope they've had aid since that time.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #311 on: October 19, 2021, 21:00 »
    Reconstruction is under way, in Chauvin, Lousiana. The video dates from 25th September but I'm discovering it on YT right now. It's in English. People who deserve a lot of credit !  :cool

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [November 24, 2021, 10:55]