collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3360
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: Tour of Britain - 15th to 22nd September
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2013, 20:03 »
I disagree with you on that one.  #sky sent a really strong team, with an elite TTer; no-one else did. The next few places  in stage 3 were taken by Stannard, Bauer and Elmiger, none of whom would be considered top level TTers. In fact the only strong TTer in the top 15 was an off-colour Dowsett.

the problem seems to be attracting good enough teams and riders, where are Belkin and  #vacansoleil these days?  #radioshack are past-masters at winning this sort of event,  #lotto13 would be suited too. I'd have thought this route was good prep for the Worlds, but I'm no expert. Obviously there's a limit on the number of World Tour teams but I'm not sure the ones that are turning up are that bothered in the case of  #movistar and  #garmin. #cannondale didn't have much to offer either.  #quickstep only ride for Cav.

well Vacan are done pretty much now, Radioshack arent entering any more races outside of WT, Lotto, surprised they didnt give it a go, the Tour of Britain loves Greg Henderson. Think the lineup was good enough. Most of the better time trial guys were doing the TTT
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 225
    « Reply #91 on: September 22, 2013, 20:11 »
    Chris Opie to NetApp-Endura to take Downings place ...what?
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1091
    « Reply #92 on: September 22, 2013, 20:47 »
    I've really enjoyed this years race. Stage wins for 2 good young talents in Yates and Bennett. Some wins for the big home stars in Wiggins and Cav and some attacking from Martin and Quintana. One thing I would want to change is whichever sponsor it is that gives out those bloody thunder sticks or whatever they are called. They make a really annoying sound and I'm sure Viviani got hit by some when he got close to the barrier in the sprint finish in Guildford.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 2049
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #93 on: September 22, 2013, 21:57 »
    A very nice all round race.

I would have preferred to see a few more high profile GC contenders in the race, the challenge to Wiggins was negligible but that had more to do with the parcours than the riders. The ITT was a decision with many positives and negatives. But I highly doubt the organisers even bothered with an cost analysis; the benefits of attracting Sir Wiggo and giving him the opportunity to shine must have far outweighed any misgiving they may have had.

The hilly stages left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. On one hand I loved the attacks by Martin, Quintana and co. showcasing the top riders on the offensive on the bergs of Britain is quite something. I also thoroughly enjoyed the finale and the sprints and of course the winners; Bennett and Yates, the Yates finish was very intriguing and I think I am a new fan, especially after the chat we had after the finish today.

But they didn't produce any discernible time gaps. Should I have expected some? Probably not. But I desperately want this race to develop into one where the General Classification is a right old British scrap. That is how the very best stage races are made in most cases (though the Tour this year was one of many exceptions). Of course the TT had something to do with that, but the hilly stages can be made harder and more intriguing, but with stage finishes kept on a tight leash due to funding and other issues it will take some quality planning.

For Brits it was a perfect week almost, the new kid on the block showed what he was made of and the old men, Cav & Wiggo, both did pretty well for themselves. Not to mention it is time to get on the Ian Stannard hype train again...

As mentioned above, Simon Yates and Sam Bennett both shone this week. Yates looks a real talent and I believe #greenedge is the perfect team for him next season.

All in all a good race, though Viviani outside his team bus today when asked if he would be returning next year, did say that unless the weather improved he isn't all that sure.

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #94 on: September 22, 2013, 22:07 »
    Bennett earlier this year

“I’m done making excuses; people must be fed up with it. I’m taking any chance I get now”

Link - Stickybottle
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #95 on: September 22, 2013, 22:09 »
    Viviani outside his team bus today when asked if he would be returning next year, did say that unless the weather improved he isn't all that sure.

Viviani needs to grow some. We have to ride in this all year round, bar that one rare day of Sunshine in June
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 813
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #97 on: September 23, 2013, 07:40 »
    http://yaxleyriders.nonleaguechannel.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=8929

Final stage.

Thanks for reading and for letting me share the links :)
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Froome's Thoughts

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 113
    • Cycling blogger, Team Sky, Chris Froome
      • Froome's Thoughts
    « Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 13:16 »
    Final Results:

• ReplyReply
  • Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

~ Albert Einstein, letter to his son Eduard, 1930

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #100 on: September 23, 2013, 14:10 »
    From what I saw of it, it seemed like a decent edition this year. Not just because the character of the field was a bit more interesting (Martin, Quintana) but also because the home talent didn't get annihilated. Definitely some bigger crowds this year too.

I do wish we would see a more selective parcours for GC in the future. We all know it can be done. Certainly, this year's Haytor finish proves that it doesn't always need to be tied to towns on the flat and it's been a welcome change in that respect.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Froome's Thoughts

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 113
    • Cycling blogger, Team Sky, Chris Froome
      • Froome's Thoughts
    « Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 15:47 »
  • ReplyReply

•